Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

A bit of help with tubeless?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-19, 08:44 AM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

Setting up my first ever tubeless tires. I have brand new Shimano GRX wheels, WTB Byway tires and Orange sealant.

I've installed both beads of the tire and I'm trying to set the beads by inflating the tires to 70psi. However, the beads don't seal enough to get any pressure into the tires. I have not yet injected the sealant.

My understanding was that I had to inflate the tires without sealant first to get a good bead set and then inject the sealant and reinflate. Do I have this wrong?

I'm afraid if I inject the sealant, it's just going to leak out the sides.
Old 12-26-19, 09:53 AM
echelon3

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The way you're doing it is the normal way I do it. It works most of the time, but certain combinations of rims/tape/tires are harder to setup. Once it gets on, it's usually fine.

Are you using an air compressor? With those stubborn combos, I just inflate as quickly as possible until it mounts or "pops" without looking at the gauge.
Likes For echelon3:
Old 12-26-19, 10:21 AM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
I suggest two things: use soapy water (dish soap, etc) on the beads of the tires. If the tires are being stubborn, as it sounds like they are, remove the valve cores and inflate (with an air compressor), you will flood the tires with more air, faster, than is possible with the cores in the valve stems. Once the tires inflate and the beads seat, remove the inflator head and the tire will immediately, deflate, of course. At this point, inject the tubeless sealant. Re-install the valve cores and inflate until the tire bead is fully seated. No need to overinflate, usually.
Likes For well biked:
Old 12-26-19, 09:40 PM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

I tried for another hour this afternoon and even had a friend help try to tighten up the tire so it formed a seal. No dice. I believe the problem is that the tire is too loose a fit. I just cannot build up any pressure. The air blows out the side.

It's a WTB tire with TCS logo and the wheel is definitely intended to be run tubeless. If it matters, this is a 650b tire and wheelset. I think I might have to get a different tire.
Old 12-26-19, 11:23 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
Assuming you've already tried removing the valve core (and are using an air compressor), here's another trick that might be worth trying...remove the tubeless valve stem from the rim entirely, install an inner tube, and inflate until the bead seats completely. Deflate, and remove the inner tube. As you do, take care as best you can to not break the bead on one side of the tire. Install the tubeless valve stem again (without the core installed), and repeat what I said above. The idea is that by seating the bead with an inner tube, and then only breaking one side of the tire's bead, you start the process already halfway there.
Likes For well biked:
Old 12-27-19, 12:54 AM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Covering a few bases... the GRX Wheels (rx570) don't come taped for tubeless, so make sure you have done that, or your bike shop has done that. Otherwise it will not work.
Old 12-27-19, 03:25 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
add 60ml of orange sealant ..... add the valve core,

spin the wheel a few times,

turn the valve to the 12 O'clock position and inflate with a track pump

works every time (you may get a bit of sealant leaking on the side near the valve, but just wipe it off after the tyre is inflated (Orange sealant does not damage paint or chrome and just wipes off with a damp rag)

I've also seated some tubeless tyres with the 25g CO2 cannisters but you need one where you can control /switch off the CO2 once the tyre has popped onto the beads (I use the Lezyne Control Drive)

then, let all the CO2 out .... add sealant and re-inflate

(I prefer just adding the sealant before pumping with a track pump)

BTW, there are a few versions of Orange Sealant .... the best one to use is the regular version (not the endurance version) .... it seals larger holes .... this is the one:

Last edited by dim; 12-27-19 at 03:31 AM.
Likes For dim:
Old 12-28-19, 03:35 PM
hhk25

I removed the valve core and voila, the tire seated in nicely. Thanks well biked.
Likes For hhk25:
Old 01-16-20, 08:15 AM
hhk25

I got the tires installed but now I'm wondering if I should have waited until spring. I will not be riding these much until April. A friend tells me that the sealant will settle and harden, causing an inbalance in the wheel. Is this a real risk?
Old 01-16-20, 08:27 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Sealant settling and drying out? Possibly. Creating an imbalance? Nah. I had a tire last 13 months, over 6,000 miles, having fresh sealant injected into it every 6 weeks or so (it gets hot here.) That's around half a liter of sealant, and when the tire came off to be replaced, it weighed less than 20g more than a brand new one. Tubeless sealant is over 90% carrier. Orange seal also dries out really slowly compared to some others, so you should have little issue. Just don't let the tire go completely flat, the sealant will dry out in a few days in a flat tire.
Old 01-16-20, 01:01 PM
hhk25

Thanks for the feedback. I'll leave them as is, spin them whenever I think about it and see what happens in the spring.
Old 01-16-20, 01:08 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by hhk25
I got the tires installed but now I'm wondering if I should have waited until spring. I will not be riding these much until April. A friend tells me that the sealant will settle and harden, causing an inbalance in the wheel. Is this a real risk?
I try to at least give the wheels a spin on days I don't ride.

(maybe that's useless, just seems like a good idea.)