Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Finding a bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-21, 02:44 PM
mateo8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finding a bike

I am a new user (sorry if I have missed previous posts about this)

I looking to get back into bicycling as a mid 20s guy. I loved riding my bike when I was a child and would ride as much as possible (would wear out tires bc of the miles I used to put on them), but now I have a car to travel places I want to get back into the exercise aspect of cycling. I am 6'0 220lbs, I wear 31-33 length jeans and am looking for a bike to ride on my local paved trail.

The bike I am looking for is to be used on the local paved trail and nothing else, daily milage would be 20-30 miles (usually do this on a stationary bike over the course of an hour and would sub this in as my hour of daily cardio), and the intention of the bike is to just ride as an exercise vehicle (although I love driving all sorts of vehicles and would enjoy literally anything).

My main questions would be are what size wheels, frames etc... should I be looking for. I have always been favorable to Peugeot bikes, bc its Peugeot (the name, literally nothing else). Open to anything, just looking fo a consensus on what size wheels and frame I need. I know literally nothing, but very willing to learn
Old 02-08-21, 02:51 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Well, your first post is a start. Can you tell us where you're located (generally)? Your local Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace may be the way to go. For trail riding, why not a Trek FX series hybrid, like the FX 3*? Size L will fit you. The wheel size is generally ISO-622, or commonly 700c. Get wider tires for comfort. See if there's one in your neighborhood. Do you have a bike shop nearby? You could also talk to them there. Maybe they'd check over a used bike after your purchase.

* I don't know, but suspect that Trek changed its nomenclature. These used to be FX 7.2, 7.3, etc. Each number up had higher priced features. Disc brakes are nice to have, but are not necessary.
Old 02-08-21, 02:53 PM
mateo8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am located in the Washington DC area, with the "trail" being the WO and D trail in the Vienna area (its paved and generally very flat). I am on craigslist nearly every single day, but since I do not know what I am looking for it doesn't really help. I always buy used bc used things are subject to depreciation and would like to keep this hobby "in budget" as opposed to my other hobbies
Old 02-08-21, 03:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
Buying a new bike would allow you to get all the warranties and support of a shop and allow you to get a decent bike without worry. A used bike can be great if you know what you are doing but if not you could end up getting something that has a lot of issues or needs a lot of work or is way overpriced for what you are getting especially these days when bikes are harder to get the used market is great for sellers but not so much for buyers. Also you could end up on someone else's bike without their knowledge because the person selling it stole it or bought it stolen.

What I would look at is probably a hybrid of some sort and if you are looking to ride often which it sounds like you are doing spending in the 700+ range will get you something decent. Your local shop could help you out greatly and with that new bike you will likely get some free service with it as well as all the warranties as mentioned above. Plus they will allow test rides so you can go out and feel the bikes and see which one will work best for you.

If you are dead set on a used bike I would certainly bring someone knowledgable about bikes and mechanics with you (so that friend who commutes probably is not much help) and have them help you evaluate the bike and price and always try to test ride the bike. Avoid listings with few pictures and little information and be wary of scams and again stolen bikes.
Old 02-08-21, 03:22 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
We'll also need to know your budget.

Do your have a preference for straight handlebars (like you see on mountain bikes or hybrids) or would you like drop bars (like you see on road bikes, gravel bikes, touring bikes...). Keep in mind that drops bars are not just for "racing bikes"..actually they're more comfortable to many folks as they offer more hand positions(less fatiguing on your hands over longer rides) as compared to a straight-bar bike where your hands are locked into one position, for the most part.

You also have good access to the C&O Towpath starting in Georgetown..which leads to the GAP Trail at Cumberland, ending in Pittsburgh.

If you want to look up a bike style..check out "gravel bikes". It'll sound a bit over-done to many folks here, but a gravel bike is a great all-rounder bike. With some fast tires it'll be good on roads and bombing around the city. If you want to do some off road trails..no problem. Mount a rack on the rear..sure. They can run up to 45mm tires (+/-) for a smooth ride with plenty of speed.
Old 02-09-21, 12:27 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
Riding a stationary bike is nothing like an outdoor bike. Stationary bikes don't move. 30 miles in one hour? Professional cyclists would have trouble going that far in that time outdoors
Old 02-09-21, 07:19 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Originally Posted by mateo8
I am located in the Washington DC area, with the "trail" being the WO and D trail in the Vienna area (its paved and generally very flat). I am on craigslist nearly every single day, but since I do not know what I am looking for it doesn't really help. I always buy used bc used things are subject to depreciation and would like to keep this hobby "in budget" as opposed to my other hobbies
On the DC Craigslist, there's a "90's Schwinn Tempo" for $250. It's in your size and the seller has done a modest refurbishment on it. Go buy that one. PG

Also, I'm in your neighborhood, and can help you if you get stuck with a mechanical problem down the road. Simple.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 02-09-21, 08:11 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
the most important part is that the frame fits you. you're looking for a "large" frame. that's probably labeled a 19—20" on a hybrid. unless your legs are several standard deviations shorter than the average for your height, "inseam" is not important. if the bike was designed by someone with any sort of experience, the standover height will not be an issue.

wheel size doesn't matter. get something with relatively smooth tread tires. you don't need anything with chunky knobs for pavement and hard backed dirt or fine gravel. Most likely, this will be a 700C wheeled bike or a 26". 700C will probably be best for your needs. a decent hybrid will probably have a tire width in the 32–42mm range.

if you plan to ride in foul weather a lot, disc brakes would be wise. if you're a fair-weather rider, rim brakes will be fine.

I'd skip suspension on a bike like this unless you have a medical condition that makes you very sensitive to vibrations and jolts. otherwise, suspension just adds complexity and weight to the bike that you don't need.

take a look at the trek FX series bikes. I'm not recommending that bike specifically, but something like that with supple but fast-rolling tires, lightweight with a rigid fork, wide range of gears, places to bolt on mud guards and a rear rack if you want them, etc. that's a good start.
Old 02-09-21, 08:18 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I always buy used bc used things are subject to depreciation and would like to keep this hobby "in budget" as opposed to my other hobbies
first, never think of a bicycle or hobby purchase as a financial "investment." erase that silly notion from your head immediately. the word "depreciation" means nothing in the world of bicycles. you can never expect to sell a bicycle and get anything like what you spent on it. it's not a big deal to most people because matters where resale value has some meaning like buying a car or a house are orders of magnitude larger. spend as much money on the bike as you want/ can and expect to get nothing back. don't give it a second thought.

second, put a number on it or this whole conversation is pointless. to some people, hobbies include collecting watches that cost more than what I make in a year, or racing motorcycles, sailboats, helicopters, etc. "budget" is totally subjective and to some people, a $6,000 bicycle is "cheap." I don't know what your income level and interest are, so put a solid figure on it. it should be easy to find the right bike for you easily on the used market for under $500. on the new market, plan to spend more than $500 for a decent bicycle.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 02-09-21 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-09-21, 08:24 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
If cost is a consideration, I'd check out one of DC's bike co-ops before craigslist. Also, some bike shops feature refurbished bikes. In both cases you'll get knowledgeable help concerning fit and options, rather than some private seller pushing the one item they have for sale. With a new bike you'll have a warranty and a shop to stand behind the purchase, and many co-ops and local bike shops will also offer a shorter warranty period on their pre-owned bikes.
Old 02-09-21, 08:50 AM
ARider2

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
There is a bike shop in College Park that sells a lot of used bikes. You may pay a little more than off Craigslist/Ebay but at least you know you are getting a bicycle that is ready to ride from a bike shop that will stand behind the bike and make it right if you have any issues.
Old 02-09-21, 09:16 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Papillon Cycles on Columbia Pike in Arlington sells refurbished used bikes. Great fellows, too.
Old 02-09-21, 10:41 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
I am a new user (sorry if I have missed previous posts about this)

I looking to get back into bicycling as a mid 20s guy. I loved riding my bike when I was a child and would ride as much as possible (would wear out tires bc of the miles I used to put on them), but now I have a car to travel places I want to get back into the exercise aspect of cycling. I am 6'0 220lbs, I wear 31-33 length jeans and am looking for a bike to ride on my local paved trail.

The bike I am looking for is to be used on the local paved trail and nothing else, daily milage would be 20-30 miles (usually do this on a stationary bike over the course of an hour and would sub this in as my hour of daily cardio), and the intention of the bike is to just ride as an exercise vehicle (although I love driving all sorts of vehicles and would enjoy literally anything).

My main questions would be are what size wheels, frames etc... should I be looking for. I have always been favorable to Peugeot bikes, bc its Peugeot (the name, literally nothing else). Open to anything, just looking fo a consensus on what size wheels and frame I need. I know literally nothing, but very willing to learn
If you are staying on paved surface look at hybrids or maybe road bikes. Try a few out and see what’s comfortable for you.
Old 02-09-21, 03:33 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
you may have trouble getting what you want inventory seems pretty nil
Old 02-09-21, 03:46 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Honestly, you need to decide what style of bike you want. For pavement trail riding. About any bike will do. You need to look at mountain bikes, road bikes or some sort of hybrid. Remember, if you don't like the way it looks, you will never ride it. So yes, knowing what style of bike would be first. Go to big bike websites and check out what appeals to you, then we can narrow down.