Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to remove a front derailleur clamp spacer from a Shimano front derailleur?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-24, 05:01 PM
matchy99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello,

I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer. I haven't used a front derailleur in 20 years and was wondering if there is method to remove the plastic spacer fitted (blue arrows) to this out of production FD.

My seat tube is 28.6 and the FD clamp is 34.9 with a 31.8 plastic spacer attached.

Being discontinued, I'd like to know the correct method to avoid damage by ripping the spacer off with pliers and a flat head screw driver.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-24, 05:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,880 Times in 2,315 Posts
These fitting shims are held in place by a couple small patches of double sided adhesive foam/tape. A simple hard pull or slight prying should release them from the metal clamp. Andy
Old 03-10-24, 08:17 PM
matchy99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Andrew,

Thanks for the quick reply. I used an utility knife blade to pry off the spacers. Turns out the spacers are alloy and not plastic.

Likes For matchy99: