Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spoke tension meter

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Spoke tension meter

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-24, 01:55 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I have the Park tool and used it to build a few pair of wheels now and it really does make a difference in how the wheels perform. It's been 5 years now since the last build and I have never had to re-true a wheel.
Old 03-29-24, 02:52 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,592 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I have the Park tool and used it to build a few pair of wheels now and it really does make a difference in how the wheels perform. It's been 5 years now since the last build and I have never had to re-true a wheel.
Not to start a debate, but don't you think that experience, practice, and skills improvement might also factor into that?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-30-24, 04:06 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1965 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000048763228.html

This digital one from AliExpress. Cheaper and 100 times better than anything else out there. Only $40 dollars.
Old 03-30-24, 06:30 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Not to start a debate, but don't you think that experience, practice, and skills improvement might also factor into that?
I doubt that. I had no experience, practice or skill. Maybe by the last pair I did, but not the first two. I don't have a truing stand or dish tool either. My fingers are my feeler gauges.
Old 03-30-24, 06:40 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
Was thinking the same thing. And myself having access to devices that can be used to cal the 20 dollar part didn't seem like a waste to me.
Apparently to some I wasted money.
Please do report back how that tool is performing and how it does versus your calibration check. It would be interesting data and helpful to some.
Old 03-30-24, 06:46 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
While I don't doubt that skill can sufficiently replace a tensiometer, this discussion reminds me of the old joke..

"I can tell you how to make a million dollars...first, you start with a million dollars and then you invest it in..."
Old 03-30-24, 09:39 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000048763228.html

This digital one from AliExpress. Cheaper and 100 times better than anything else out there. Only $40 dollars.
Actually looks pretty good, I'm tempted.
Old 03-30-24, 05:29 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Please do report back how that tool is performing and how it does versus your calibration check. It would be interesting data and helpful to some.
sure will. was planning go. got my spokes yesterday and installed the new one. pretty true now. will finish up once the gauge gets here. i am very curious myself how well it performs.
Old 03-30-24, 05:30 PM
headasunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
Actually looks pretty good, I'm tempted.
I have this meter the digital one and it's excellent I have a home made spoke jig to load up whatever spokes I'm building with to calibrate
Old 03-30-24, 05:56 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by headasunder
I have this meter the digital one and it's excellent I have a home made spoke jig to load up whatever spokes I'm building with to calibrate
Does it not come with tables to translate readings to values? If I have to build a calibration jig I might as well make a tensiometer too, sounds like a fun Arduino project.
Old 03-30-24, 07:15 PM
headasunder

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
Does it not come with tables to translate readings to values? If I have to build a calibration jig I might as well make a tensiometer too, sounds like a fun Arduino project.
Yes comes with a chart but how accurate it is I have no idea, hence the jig, the repeatability is excellent so no issues there
Old 04-01-24, 08:32 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
While I don't doubt that skill can sufficiently replace a tensiometer, this discussion reminds me of the old joke..

"I can tell you how to make a million dollars...first, you start with a million dollars and then you invest it in..."
And of course there's the bike shop owner's lament. How do you make a small fortune running a bike shop? Start with a large fortune.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 04-05-24, 06:46 PM
spelger

for what it is worth this is what i bought and the following is a demo of the repeatability. i have not had a chance to compare the actual tension measured with a calibrated tool yet.

looks like two spokes need a bit of tightening.

https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Measu...7YQQQC8L&psc=1

Likes For spelger:
Old 04-05-24, 07:16 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,592 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
for what it is worth this is what i bought and the following is a demo of the repeatability. i have not had a chance to compare the actual tension measured with a calibrated tool yet.
Question------

How do you get 4 significant level of precision?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-05-24, 07:27 PM
spelger

do you mean 2 significant figures after the decimal...? i have very very good eyesight...bugs bunny is jealous.

the gauge only has integer graduations so there is clearly some 1/10 of a unit eyeballing going on. the rest is just because i highlighted the spread sheet and applied 2 decimal places because of the average and standard dev columns. that is all lost in the graph anyway.
Old 04-09-24, 03:21 PM
pdlamb

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Question------

How do you get 4 significant level of precision?
Use a digital indicator. It'll give you lots of digits. Not all of them significant...
Old 04-09-24, 04:20 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Use a digital indicator. It'll give you lots of digits. Not all of them significant...
At what temperature range?
Anytime you have electronics involved that convert a voltage to a reading, one really needs to take the temperature coefficient of the tool if expecting "ultra precise" results.
Some may be fine in a laboratory environment, but may differ significantly in the temperature ranges the tool may actually be used in.

I used to build optical oceanographic instruments that used an LED of a specific wavelength for a light source.
LED's tend to have pretty wonky temperature characteristics and it was supposedly "impossible" to temperature compensate one.
It turns out most of the cheap electronics are not too good in this respect. My "free" Harbor Freight voltmeter reads 8% high. That's about 1 volt difference on a 12V battery. That's at room temp- Who knows.....

Put your tool in a baggie and stick in the fridge for a 1/2 hour and test vs. the same tool laying in the sun.

A simple digital display is +/- 1 digit + a % error that varies by the quality of the display.

Not venting on your specific tool, but just in general to people that assume if its digital, it's spot on perfect.
Old 04-10-24, 06:27 AM
pdlamb

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Not venting on your specific tool, but just in general to people that assume if its digital, it's spot on perfect.
​​​​​​​So you understand my point!
Old 04-10-24, 01:18 PM
mauin1x

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah I got a really decent one from amazon