Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Performance vs. Expectations

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-07, 05:28 PM
pedal lber

Bikes: 07 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everybody,

I’m returning to cycling after a long absence (35 yrs!) and want to get some feedback on personal performance vs. expectations. In my early 20’s I did quite a lot of self supported touring. That of course was B4 the advent of bike computers, so I have no basis for comparison on a personal level. Not that it would valid after all these years anyway!

I bought my current bike in October, just in time for the weather to turn bad and other obligations to get in the way of serious riding. Saturday the stars were aligned and I set out from home on a 30 mile loop of mainly lightly traveled rural roads. The terrain is up or down, very little flat. The hills are steep but short. No idea of grade, but length was typically less than 1/2 a mile. Descents were equally as steep and short. I found myself grinding uphill at 6-8 mph, and descending at speeds near 35. My average for the ride was 13 mph. On flat terrain I’m very comfortable at 18+ mph pace. While I enjoyed the ride, I was hoping for a faster average. Is that realistic?

I’m 57, 6’1”, 170 lbs. I’ve been working out regularly for 5 years; run the equivalent of 15 miles a week at 6 min per mile pace, spin once or twice a week, and do some upper body weight training.

I would appreciate your perspective and any advise. Thanks.
Old 02-01-07, 05:36 PM
Old Hammer Boy

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pedal lber
Hi everybody,

My average for the ride was 13 mph. On flat terrain I’m very comfortable at 18+ mph pace. While I enjoyed the ride, I was hoping for a faster average. Is that realistic?

My advice is: CHILL!! Not trying to be sarcastic, but just enjoy the experience. The speed will come if that's important. You've been away from cycling for 35 years, you can't expect to make up for that in one ride, or for that matter, maybe, 50 rides. Just enjoy bicycling for what it is; an opportunity to get out in nature, feel the wind in your face, get some excellent exercise, and smell the roses.
Old 02-01-07, 06:32 PM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My guess is, Pedel liber, that you're in better shape most of us. It's been 40 years since I could run a six-minute mile, so my hat is off to you. I'm with Old Hammer Boy, but if that doesn't suit you, maybe check out Carmichael Training Systems or similar. They can set you up with a real program designed to maximize speed and efficiency.
Old 02-01-07, 08:39 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
You're right on track, and probably way ahead of the game at this point. You and I are the same size but you're just a couple years older. My overall average speed is around 17-18 on similar roads. Your climbing speeds will increase with more time in the saddle. Don't rush it....it just takes time to groove climbing to get to where I think you want to be. Your aerobics should be in good shape although I suspect your overall HR will be a little higher for cycling particularly on intervals up the hills. You're also using a little different set of leg muscles than what you're using for running.

Equipment does make a difference-especially going up the hills. What type of bike and gearing are you using?
Old 02-01-07, 08:52 PM
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Listen to these guys, they know what they are talking about,, in other words, I agree.
Old 02-01-07, 09:17 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
You already have the cardiovascular system; the musculature will come back quickly.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-01-07, 11:58 PM
pedal lber

Bikes: 07 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
You're right on track, and probably way ahead of the game at this point. You and I are the same size but you're just a couple years older. My overall average speed is around 17-18 on similar roads. Your climbing speeds will increase with more time in the saddle. Don't rush it....it just takes time to groove climbing to get to where I think you want to be. Your aerobics should be in good shape although I suspect your overall HR will be a little higher for cycling particularly on intervals up the hills. You're also using a little different set of leg muscles than what you're using for running.

Equipment does make a difference-especially going up the hills. What type of bike and gearing are you using?
Thanks jppe and others. I think you're right about the HR. I was a bit surprised at that. I had thought the cardio side would be my strong point, but found myself huffing and puffing. I ride an 07 Specialized Roubaix Elite. Its a 50-39-30 triple with a 12-27 cassette. I am enjoying the riding for its own sake, and really not trying to rush anything, just wanted to get some perspective and develop some realistic expectation. Thanks again.
Old 02-02-07, 11:53 AM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lber, welcome back to cycling, and welcome to the forum! It's a safe bet that you're in better shape than most of us who returned to cycling after a long absence, and I suspect you'll do just great without any advice from me, but I would just remind you of a couple of things you probably already know: 1. Reaching your peak with a new athletic routine will take some time and will include periods when you don't see any improvement at all, and 2. Muscle recovery will be slower for you now than it was 35 years ago, and you should keep that in mind as you schedule. Again, welcome!
Old 02-02-07, 12:05 PM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you have a really good starting point and should improve as you cycle more. If you really want to improve your speed you should look at interval training and finding a group to ride with. If you feel comfortable at 18 then find a group that rides at 20-22, if you can hang easily move up. Once you find a group that makes you work hard and drops you on occasion you will find your speed picking up. When I started a couple of years ago I was happy with 15mph, I ride with a friend and we were able to get ourselves into the low 20s for a good portion of our 20mi daily ride. However, when I started riding with my clubs A group which averages in 22-24 and has 3 sprint zones where they crank it up to 28-30mph I found keeping my speed when I was by myself in the 20-21 range become much easier. I still get dropped sometimes but the only way to improve, if that is your goal, is to push the envelop. Riding daily miles at a consistent pace will not get it done.

Btw - many people feel that when start riding you need 1000 or so base miles before you really should start pushing yourself.

2013 Noah RS
Old 02-02-07, 12:52 PM
Cassave

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Looks like the spinning classes have set you up for a good start.

If you're already comfortable with 18 mph for extended periods you'll only get faster. 18+ is already
an intermediate club ride pace.

Keep a few things in mind;

It will take time to build the muscles used to turn the cranks, cycling and running use different
muscle groups.

It will take some time before you develop your best spin and really get familiar with maintaining cadence
and maximizing power transfer into the bike under various load conditions.
Old 02-02-07, 01:30 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Thanks jppe and others. I think you're right about the HR. I was a bit surprised at that. I had thought the cardio side would be my strong point, but found myself huffing and puffing. I ride an 07 Specialized Roubaix Elite. Its a 50-39-30 triple with a 12-27 cassette. I am enjoying the riding for its own sake, and really not trying to rush anything, just wanted to get some perspective and develop some realistic expectation. Thanks again.
Glad to be of some help. I've had several friends do the "crossover" or even participate in tri's or marathons so I can relate to what you're doing. I've also coached some kids in running so while I'm not an expert my feedback comes from some experience in both running and cycling.

You have a great bike/equipment setup so no issues there. The great news is the physical base you have to work from. You're way, way ahead of the curve. You just need time in the saddle and I'd suggest spending time doing more hills-ugh. Progress will come over time as you've probably seen in running events. Sometimes progress is unexplicable but very rewarding. Ride with guys that are a little faster and you have to chase and probably even fall off behind going up hills. You'll get faster doing hills over time. Your heartrate is going to higher at first but over time will moderate and feel more manageable. Just keep working on it.

Glad you're back on the bike!!
Old 02-02-07, 03:52 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It does not matter how fit you are- How fast you can run or how much weight you can lift down at the gym. All that matters on a bike is how "Bike" fit you are. Sounds stupid but you are going to use different muscles and in different ways. You are going to be in a different position on the bike, and the brain has to attune to the new exercise. Some one said it will take about 1,000 miles and I reckon that is about right.

A couple of years ago, we had another Mountain biker join outr group. He was fit and did pretty good on some of the Enduro events he raced at. Only difference was that we ride on a different sort of hill to what he was used to. So here we had a fit biker struggling. Only took him about 5 rides to get accustomed and then we found out how fit he was.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-02-07, 08:38 PM
cheeseflavor
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m 57, 6’1”, 170 lbs. I’ve been working out regularly for 5 years; run the equivalent of 15 miles a week at 6 min per mile pace, spin once or twice a week, and do some upper body weight training.

Completely different group of muscles you're working with cycling, and completely different discipline. Give some time, and log some serious saddle time. The speed will come.

Take care,

Steve
Old 02-02-07, 10:33 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
Hi everybody...
I’m returning to cycling after a long absence (35 yrs!) and want to get some feedback...
Is that all? well you better pump it up, Maestro!

... just kiddin...

pretty dang good for being off the bike for so long, but obviously an endorphine junkie
for me, any grades above 9 % and if I;m goin over 7 mph, I'm floggin the horse the whole way.
some rides may just be 13 mph avg rides...
riding with others does help break thru the 'ceiling' we set for ourselves...
road miles are different from trainer miles or spinning time, more road miles and the legs will smooth out even more, the avg will go up, but 12% at 8 mph will still be, and will always be sufferin...
one thing's for sure, you'll be ridin the bike for a lot more years than you will be runnin...
Old 02-02-07, 11:37 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome back to cycling!

I've been back with a boundless enthusiasm for about 18 mos. From May to Sept. last year I averaged 90-120 mi. a wekk, riding in two different groups, alone, or with a friend. What I found was that every day is different -- some days it's chickens, some days it's feathers, and some days are chicken sh*t (can I say that here?). The time it takes you to get faster on the hills will depend on your training, your discipline, and rest. Just keep having fun, and be patient -- your speed will return.