Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

good place to ride when it is dark outside in the IE?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-07, 10:55 PM
kdx
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi, i moved to fontana and want to know of any good places to ride. i live right by the 15 freeway and i was wondering if anyone can recommend some safe areas to ride. because i work in LA i don't get home until about 6:30 and in about a month it'll be dark by then. i don't mind driving as far as san dimas or san bernardino....just looking for a safe place to ride when there is little visibility.
Old 09-08-07, 11:01 PM
kdx
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for a place like this....(taken from another bf thread)

basically i would like to avoid cars

Old 09-08-07, 11:31 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I responded in the other thread. That pic is right across from the Honda Center near Anaheim Stadium. But runs from Greenriver and the 91 fwy to Huntington Beach. 60 roundtrip, we start at Imperial and the 91 fwy,42 roundtrip.

I have a friend that lives near the trail in SA (Santa Ana River Trail, SART for short) He used to do some night rides with a group, not sure what club or group it was.

Not sure anymore but Incyclce did a ride near the 15 and Baseline. Crit training rides. Used to be broken into 2 or 3 groups. Might be Tuesday nites. Contact the store or site for info.
Old 09-09-07, 01:11 AM
bentstrider
Lean, neat and eat meat!!

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport and an old Sears beach cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IE is one of the easiest places I ever deal with.
Still living in the desert, but I've waited for loads down in Fontana enough times to ride quite often.
I'm guessing it has something to do with the urbanism that's been in place there for awhile.
Valley, Etiwanda, Foothill are all safe routes for me.
I just see how far they go off into the west.
I'm still trying to get out of the High Desert permanently.
The car culture reigns supreme up here.
I gave up owning one a year and a half ago.
Don't want to be forced to get another one again due to the Cajon Pass.
Damn thing's too iffy to ride solo down.
Old 09-09-07, 08:04 AM
Psydotek
Body By Nintendo

Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can catch the riverside/san bernardino section of SART here:

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...0064&z=18&om=1

To the west of Vanderbilt and Waterman there's a sizzler and a hotel (quality inn i believe). Park at the north end of the parking lot and you should see the start of the trail just to the north. It's ~10 miles down to Mt. Rubidoux and relatively flat. Just watch out for "interesting" people along the path after dark and i hope you have a decent front light. Watch for holes/bumps in the path where they put poles to deny vehicle access to the trail (the poles aren't always there but there's quite afew holes/bumps where they can go. i almost endo'ed when hitting one in the dark...)

Originally Posted by jsharr
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.
Old 09-09-07, 10:47 AM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live on the other side of the hill (Sierra) in the mira loma / jurupa valley area. There are not to many "safe" areas in Fontana/Mira Loma, but the bike trails do provide a little safety. There is a hidden problem with them - safety from crime. There is known gang issues in some areas, and the park on the Van Buren / Riverside section can be dangerous at times, depending on the time of year. I ride my fixie all over fontana/riverside at night, and by staying on the well lit streets you can ride just about anywhere. No where is really "safe" from cars at night, but by taking safety precautions you can be safe at night.
Old 09-09-07, 12:46 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I ride at night often here in the IE.. Baseline ave is very well lit and the traffic drops off quite a bit after 7pm.. I take baseline westbound through sandimas/glendora area.. There are only a couple of spots where there is not good street lighting..
Old 09-09-07, 12:50 PM
redal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
I responded in the other thread. That pic is right across from the Honda Center near Anaheim Stadium. But runs from Greenriver and the 91 fwy to Huntington Beach. 60 roundtrip, we start at Imperial and the 91 fwy,42 roundtrip.

I have a friend that lives near the trail in SA (Santa Ana River Trail, SART for short) He used to do some night rides with a group, not sure what club or group it was.

Not sure anymore but Incyclce did a ride near the 15 and Baseline. Crit training rides. Used to be broken into 2 or 3 groups. Might be Tuesday nites. Contact the store or site for info.

That ride has been moved to the Pomona area. It sounds like the old location is just about where the original poster lives. The old location was in a residential area and the traffic/residents got tired of it. The new location is a lit business park just north of Arrow Hwy.
Old 09-09-07, 05:40 PM
Psydotek
Body By Nintendo

Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redal
That ride has been moved to the Pomona area. It sounds like the old location is just about where the original poster lives. The old location was in a residential area and the traffic/residents got tired of it. The new location is a lit business park just north of Arrow Hwy.
Where at? Is it the one that starts at the Pomona Metrolink station?

Originally Posted by jsharr
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.
Old 09-09-07, 08:49 PM
redal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psydotek
Where at? Is it the one that starts at the Pomona Metrolink station?
Yes. Tuesday 7:30. I'm not sure if there is a station there, or just a stop. The train tracks parallel the second straight of the ride and the trains are w/in about 20 feet of the ride at times.