Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Handlebad Types and Breaks

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-08, 12:46 PM
harrison

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need some advice

Im getting a Giant OCR 2. Standard road bike drop bars.

I am toying with the idea of adding a second set of breaks on the middle part of the bars, you must know what im taking about, if not Ill try to post up a pic.

or I might swap out the drop bars for bulhorns and run ither a set of breaks on the ends or in the middle of the bars.

this bike is 90% going to be used for commuting, with trips maxing out a 2 hours.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?
Old 02-03-08, 12:56 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12197 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
An OCR for commuting? Will it take a rack? Seems an odd choice for a commuter, commuting beats the crap out of a bike.

Oh yes, I am a big fan of inline brakes. I use them more than the brake levers on the brifters. They have more oomph.
Old 02-03-08, 01:02 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Are you per chance referring to brakes and handlebars? If so, then sure. Inline brakes levers (cross levers) work well and can be a good idea.
Why you'd dump the drop bars and get bull horns is beyond me.
Old 02-03-08, 01:04 PM
harrison

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by late
An OCR for commuting? Will it take a rack? Seems an odd choice for a commuter, commuting beats the crap out of a bike.

Oh yes, I am a big fan of inline brakes. I use them more than the brake levers on the brifters. They have more oomph.
Ive read several testimonials of people using an ocr for commuting, your suggesting it is too nice for it? It is a bit high end for a commuter but I know what I am getting, plus it fits my needs/wants. the ocr does take racks and fenders.

inline brakes! that’s what they are called, thank you for that. I assume you run two (front back) im considering only using one.. I just like to keep it as clean as possible.

If I converted to bullhorns I would run one break leaver at the end of the bars. it would be a vertical lever.
Old 02-03-08, 01:07 PM
harrison

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry I have no idea what is with me today. My brain is fried.

as for swaping to bullhorns, I perfer to be extended as I ride. Its all about comfort really.
Old 02-03-08, 01:11 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've found I dislike using in-line levers on a narrowish handlebar, because your hands are too close to the stem and handling gets twitchy. However there's no reason they might not work for you. The Tektro ones are cheap and easy to install.
Old 02-03-08, 01:25 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
BRAKES not BREAKS
Old 02-03-08, 05:13 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Brake vs break is turning into a pet peeve of mine.

Now if your brakes break you have a problem.

Why anyone would pick bullhorns is beyond me. Too each his\her own.
I think I would prefer mustache bars if I wanted to ditch my drops.
Old 02-03-08, 05:22 PM
Mr Vagabond

Bikes: Bianchi Castro Valley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why would you want to break your handlebars?
Old 02-03-08, 07:30 PM
matthew_deaner

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr Vagabond
Why would you want to break your handlebars?
No, that's "handlebads"
Old 02-03-08, 07:33 PM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by matthew_deaner
No, that's "handlebads"
My favorite type of "handlebad" involves riding my drike when I'm bunk. It handles very badly, I can confirm that
Old 02-03-08, 08:05 PM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by harrison
If I converted to bullhorns I would run one break leaver at the end of the bars. it would be a vertical lever.
Only one brake?
Old 02-04-08, 08:57 AM
jcwitte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My goodness, I didn't realize how many english teachers bike to work each morning.
Old 02-04-08, 09:19 AM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jcwitte
My goodness, I didn't realize how many english teachers bike to work each morning.
Please, that's English teachers, with a capital E.
Kidding, kidding

Well, there were two slightly amusing spelling errors in the title... "Handlebad Types and Breaks". It sounds like "Time flies like an arrow" or one of those other sentences that you're supposed to interpret in different ways.
Old 02-04-08, 09:23 AM
jcwitte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by moxfyre
Please, that's English teachers, with a capital E.
Kidding, kidding

Well, there were two slightly amusing spelling errors in the title... "Handlebad Types and Breaks". It sounds like "Time flies like an arrow" or one of those other sentences that you're supposed to interpret in different ways.
I know, I forgot to add the . Or should that be a or a ?
Old 02-04-08, 12:05 PM
thirdin77

Bikes: 09 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All you guys are wrong about this Handlebad thing; he was referring to the city of Handlebad in Pakistan and the popularity of interruptor brakes there.
Old 02-04-08, 12:59 PM
vaticdart

Bikes: Giant OCR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by late
I use an OCR1 as my primary bicycle. It works great as a commuter, errand bike, fun ride and just general get around bike. It will take a rack (I used one of the Topeak ones), although I yanked the rack after I got my Pac Designs bag. The only downside to it is that it won't take full funders without modification, although the clip on EZ Freddy Fenders or whatever they're called work decently. It's a fast, fun bike that's been relatively bullet proof in the 8 months or so that I've been riding it (probably about 1500 miles).

To answer the question of the OP, I thought about getting the second set of brake levers when I bought the bike, but decided to "learn the drops" instead. It's turned out that I absolutely love the drop position; after a few miles of riding on the first day I had my OCR1 I hardly use the hoods or straights at all. I'm definitely the exception in that I ride the vast majority of the time in the drops, but most people ride on the hoods where you still have decent brake control. If you're worried about it though, the second set of levers set you back about $50 at most LBSs.

I do have a second bike, my old Giant Cypress with full fenders, but I only use that for very rainy days (I live in Seattle, and it basically just sprinkles here most of the winter), or when there's a good chance of ice or snow.
Old 02-05-08, 07:22 PM
harrison

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks a ton man, thats great
Old 02-05-08, 10:14 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdin77
All you guys are wrong about this Handlebad thing; he was referring to the city of Handlebad in Pakistan and the popularity of interruptor brakes there.
You sure the reference wasn't to the handlebad on Strong Bad's bike?
Old 02-06-08, 09:10 AM
ebrady

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Puegeot Altitude 21 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vaticdart
I use an OCR1 as my primary bicycle. It works great as a commuter, errand bike, fun ride and just general get around bike. It will take a rack (I used one of the Topeak ones), although I yanked the rack after I got my Pac Designs bag.

The only downside to it is that it won't take full funders without modification, although the clip on EZ Freddy Fenders or whatever they're called work decently. It's a fast, fun bike that's been relatively bullet proof in the 8 months or so that I've been riding it (probably about 1500 miles).
I can't really speak for the OCR1 in your case, however I have fit a set of Planet Bike Fenders , plus a rack onto my OCR2 without any modifications. See the following link for a previous discussion with some pictures. The fenders are standard fenders, not clip ons. I assume the frame for the OCR1 should be the same (braze-ons?).

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=376493.

I am using the OCR2 for commuting, credit card touring, and long distance riding (centuries & brevets). It is fairly versatile, and can be suited to a number of different roles. The pictures in the link are of it's winter configuration. I remove the rack/trunk and fenders in the summer months depending upon the conditions of the ride.
Old 02-11-08, 07:47 AM
vaticdart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ebrady
I can't really speak for the OCR1 in your case, however I have fit a set of Planet Bike Fenders , plus a rack onto my OCR2 without any modifications. See the following link for a previous discussion with some pictures. The fenders are standard fenders, not clip ons. I assume the frame for the OCR1 should be the same (braze-ons?).

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=376493.

I am using the OCR2 for commuting, credit card touring, and long distance riding (centuries & brevets). It is fairly versatile, and can be suited to a number of different roles. The pictures in the link are of it's winter configuration. I remove the rack/trunk and fenders in the summer months depending upon the conditions of the ride.
Yes!

One of my LBSs told me that it was possible to put full fenders on but would be "expensive" (I figure they mean they'd have to replace the brakes). All the OCRs have the same frame, from what I gather, so I imagine my braze-ons are the same. The only potential difference I can imagine is if my brake calipers are different from your ORC2 and have less clearance. Do you know what calipers are on yours (my bicycle foo is not adequate to recognize the year model of your OCR2, so I worry that looking it up might yield an erroneous result)? Also, what size tires are you running? I recently put in some 28s (Serfas Secas) on mine.

Full fenders my main bicycle would definitely be damn nice. That Cypress is heavy and slow!
Old 02-11-08, 11:38 PM
ebrady

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes!

One of my LBSs told me that it was possible to put full fenders on but would be "expensive" (I figure they mean they'd have to replace the brakes). All the OCRs have the same frame, from what I gather, so I imagine my braze-ons are the same. The only potential difference I can imagine is if my brake calipers are different from your ORC2 and have less clearance. Do you know what calipers are on yours (my bicycle foo is not adequate to recognize the year model of your OCR2, so I worry that looking it up might yield an erroneous result)? Also, what size tires are you running? I recently put in some 28s (Serfas Secas) on mine.

Full fenders my main bicycle would definitely be damn nice. That Cypress is heavy and slow!

I am running 700x25c tires, however it looks like 700x28 might be possible, but I have not tried them yet. My bike is a 2007, here are a couple of closeups of my brakes and fenders. Sorry for the quality, the camera has a hard time getting real close to the bike, plus I just got back from a ride so they are a little dirty. I forget what brand of brakes came on the bike, I can look it up for you still need it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN7992.JPG (61.5 KB, 38 views)
DSCN7997.JPG (40.8 KB, 33 views)
DSCN8007.JPG (38.2 KB, 34 views)
DSCN8010.JPG (41.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 02-12-08, 02:44 PM
vaticdart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My OCR1 is also a 2007, so I'm guessing the brakes may be the same or effectively the same. I'll need to bring my bike upstairs this evening and look at your pictures to compare, but it very well may work on mine. If I had to downsize to 25c tires I think I'd be willing to do that for full fenders, although I'd probably wait until my current tires were in need of replacement. I should also bring your pictures into my LBS and see if that's something they, or I, could replicate.

One last question: which model Planet Bike fenders are those?
Old 02-13-08, 10:25 AM
ebrady

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One last question: which model Planet Bike fenders are those?
They are Planet Bike Freddy Fender Hardcore Road - 35mm. Here is a link to them on the Planet Bike website.
https://ecom1.planetbike.com/7008.html

The write-up on the website indicates that they will fit 700x28, tell me if they work with that size tire, I am wanting to go with the larger ones for my next tire replacement.

Last edited by ebrady; 03-15-08 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-15-08, 12:28 PM
ebrady

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ebrady
They are Planet Bike Freddy Fender Hardcore Road - 35mm. Here is a link to them on the Planet Bike website.
https://ecom1.planetbike.com/7008.html

The write-up on the website indicates that they will fit 700x28, tell me if they work with that size tire, I am wanting to go with the larger ones for my next tire replacement.
I have since documented the installation on my blog in case anyone is interested, you can access it here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.