Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist at Fault?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist at Fault?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-09, 08:26 AM
jcwitte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cyclist at Fault?

I was riding along side some cars stopped at an intersection waiting for a red light. I was riding between the cars in the right turn lane and the lane that goes straight. Then, all of a sudden, something gives way and I fall into the driver side door of the guy waiting to turn. My handlebars left a scratch on the door and I hit the mirror as well. The plastic piece surrounding the mirror cracked, but the mirror was intact. The top of the mirror does now have a bit of a haze to it. I got up, looked behind me, and what happened was that my crankarm snapped off. The bike is a fixie conversion from a 35 year old Schwinn. The crankarms were possibly as old as the bike. As much as I can tell, I am at "fault" here. I have no insurance though. So, what happens?
Old 05-18-09, 08:38 AM
Square & Compas
Banned.

Bikes: Vision R40 Recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First did you exchange info. with the driver of the car you fell into? If not that would be your first step. Second and more then likely, if that driver has comp/collision insurance his insurance will cover any damages to his vehicle. If he does not have comp/collision he can likely come after you in civil court for the damages. Which he may do even with comp/collision insurance.
Old 05-18-09, 08:41 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
You pay.

Then you upgrade your equipment... and learn to look it over from time to time. (I should talk... I had a rear derailuer fail on me on Friday... poor adjustment, which I ignored and it eventually shifted right into the spokes ).
Old 05-18-09, 08:59 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
You pay.

Then you upgrade your equipment... and learn to look it over from time to time. (I should talk... I had a rear derailuer fail on me on Friday... poor adjustment, which I ignored and it eventually shifted right into the spokes
).
Don't feel bad--I had the same thing happen to me. I was lucky that I was almost home at the time.

I had another malfunction caused by my own neglect a couple years ago. I had a bottom bracket that was wobbling, but I wanted to baby it so I could wait a couple days to fix it at a more convenient time. It froze up completely on my way to work. Luckily I was only a block form the LBS. They gave me a loaner and I was only about two minutes late for work.

The moral: inspect the bike, especially if it's an older model. And don't put off repairs on vital parts.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-18-09, 09:36 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
If it were me in your situation I'd pay out of pocket. If I couldn't afford to cover it all I'd offer a payment plan. You didn't say if you were hurt, so I'm guessing that means good news.
Old 05-18-09, 10:29 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, if you and the driver are on reasonably good terms, he might be able to get the amount handled by his insurance. You are an "uninsured driver". I carry a rider on my policy which covers "uninsured drivers". I think if you had done this to me, my insurance would pay for it.
Old 05-18-09, 11:45 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by jcwitte
I was riding along side some cars stopped at an intersection waiting for a red light. I was riding between the cars in the right turn lane and the lane that goes straight. Then, all of a sudden, something gives way and I fall into the driver side door of the guy waiting to turn. My handlebars left a scratch on the door and I hit the mirror as well. The plastic piece surrounding the mirror cracked, but the mirror was intact. The top of the mirror does now have a bit of a haze to it. I got up, looked behind me, and what happened was that my crankarm snapped off. The bike is a fixie conversion from a 35 year old Schwinn. The crankarms were possibly as old as the bike. As much as I can tell, I am at "fault" here. I have no insurance though. So, what happens?
If you own (or are listed as an insured) a car that has liability/property damage insurance, it may pay. Make a claim.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 05-18-09, 12:22 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
My homeowners insurance policy covered the damage I caused to a car while riding, so that's another possibility.
Old 05-18-09, 12:40 PM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I'd pay out of my own pocket before I would expect his insurance company to pay. But that's just me. If someone incurs a loss as a result of my negligence then I should be the one to pay. It sucks but it's only right imho.