Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are components so expensive??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-09, 09:34 AM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts

If anyone was into computers back in like 2000, you would remember how the big thing was ordering parts from newegg.com and assembling them into a decent computer for a cost that was lower than buying from Dell, HP, etc.

Why can't the same thing be done with bicycles?
Old 07-15-09, 09:40 AM
corkscrew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Its 2009 and I still get my computer parts from newegg.

Can't comment on the bike components though.
Old 07-15-09, 09:43 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
You can buy components and build up the bike yourself but it costs way more. The reason is manufactures buy entire groups in mass from Shimano, Sram, Campy, etc. at much lower rates than you can. The price of the complete bike is less.
Old 07-15-09, 09:44 AM
shouldberiding

Bikes: '08 Trek 7.3FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apples/Oranges. The margins are much different as well.
Old 07-15-09, 09:48 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
As I understand it, bike manufacturers buy their components, in bulk, at OEM prices from the component manufacturers. The parts they buy are shipped in bulk, without consumer-friendly packaging, instructions, etc. Their prices are nothing like the price that consumers purchase for parts.

As a consumer when you buy components they have been shipped in consumer-friendly packaging, get sent to wholesalers, who mark it up and send it to a retailer, who marks it up and sells it to you. So the price of assembling a bike piece-by-piece is typically much higher than buying a complete bike.

Some ways around this:
- buy used parts on eBay or elsewhere to build up your own bike
- buy a complete new bike from Bikesdirect.com, strip the parts, sell the frame on eBay
- find a dealer who is selling "gray market" OEM parts that have leaked into the retail market. I believe this is what some of the European websites like PBK do.

Seem thing with cars, by the way. If you had to build a car up from parts, purchasing each part separately from a dealer or parts store, the cost would far exceed what you can buy an entire car for.

BTW, last time I shopped for a build-your-own computer they were not any cheaper than buying a preassembled computer from Dell. The only advantage I could see is that you make sure you get name brand parts in every component.
Old 07-15-09, 10:08 AM
adlai

eh, yeah, I agree on that bit about computers being more expensive from parts now, but for like a 5 year period, it was in-fact cheaper to build from newegg, especially if you liked gaming.

bikesdirect seems to be the first company to seriously undercut existing supply channels...I've also heard something about tariffs being high for components or something like that.
Old 07-15-09, 10:13 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
eh, yeah, I agree on that bit about computers being more expensive from parts now, but for like a 5 year period, it was in-fact cheaper to build from newegg, especially if you liked gaming.
bikesdirect seems to be the first company to seriously undercut existing supply channels...I've also heard something about tariffs being high for components or something like that.
If you look at some BD bikes, the frames often are overstocks from a couple years earlier. BD is good if you know exactly waht you want. But there's no mechanical support, test rides, get to see what you are buying, expert fitting, etc. that you get from LBS. All that cost money.
Old 07-15-09, 10:45 AM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If anyone was into computers back in like 2000, you would remember how the big thing was ordering parts from newegg.com and assembling them into a decent computer for a cost that was lower than buying from Dell, HP, etc.

How would manufacturers stay in business if prices fell through the floor?

Be careful what you ask for, especially when it's lower prices: costs must be trimmed from labor (causing lost jobs), from materials (leading to crappy components), from R&D (leading to no new product development) or from retailers' margins (leading to fewer and fewer bike shops).
Old 07-15-09, 12:16 PM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, it costs much more to assemble a bike piece meal than buying one ready made. As far as I figure, buying a ready made bike gives you a free frame or even more.

Even buying used components is more expensive. If you are willing to have used components, why not buy a used bike? Used bikes can be had for much less than new bikes and the wear on them is often not significant.
Old 07-15-09, 01:15 PM
adlai

The sector would be shaken up, but the end result would be greater accessibility to the end-product (bicycles) due to a lower price.
Old 07-15-09, 03:57 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
s&d
Old 07-15-09, 04:23 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Having had a sailboat and a street rod, I think bike parts/componments are relatively cheap. Even high zoot parts are reasonable. Y'all need to quit thinking that a hundred bucks ought to buy all the parts you want. It won't even buy a weeks worth of groceries. bk

Expensive? Compared to what?
Old 07-16-09, 02:11 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 859 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
Having had a sailboat and a street rod, I think bike parts/componments are relatively cheap. Even high zoot parts are reasonable. Y'all need to quit thinking that a hundred bucks ought to buy all the parts you want. It won't even buy a weeks worth of groceries. bk

Expensive? Compared to what?

Yeah, it's not a terribly expensive hobby. You can get a pretty sweet bike for a couple thousand, sometimes much less. People spend more on golfing and many other hobbies.

But the original point was, I think, that the components are expensive compared to the whole bike. An Ultegra equipped bike does not cost much more than an Ultegra 'group', which seems odd. You can buy the whole bike, strip it, and sell the frame, wheels, etc. for more than the difference. It's an unusual outcome in a free market.
Old 07-16-09, 02:33 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I built my first computer from components in 1998. It was cheaper then but it is not the case now. I still build my own computers- but the reason is that I can spec that computer for my own needs.

Same on the bikes. Back around 1995 I built up my own bikes and I did that to get the frame and components that I wanted. Then around 2000 it became a lot cheaper to buy an off the peg bike and change the components to what I already had or buy the parts I wanted. Prices had dropped tremendously and that Bike I built up for around £1500 in 95- I could buy for around £700 and spend £300 to get to my spec in 2000.

Prices have risen in the last year on off the peg bikes- and it is now at the point where it is nearly as cheap to build a bike from components than to buy a complete bike and upgrade the wheels- saddle- crankset and a few other items. All you have to do is get on the net and find the parts you want at the price you want to pay---Or still just a bit more than you want to pay if you are as tightfisted as I am.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-16-09, 03:03 PM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The sector would be shaken up, but the end result would be greater accessibility to the end-product (bicycles) due to a lower price.
What's more accessible than the internet?
Old 07-17-09, 10:37 AM
bikegeekmn
bikegeekmn

Bikes: Miyata710, 04' Fisher Cake, '63 Raleigh 3-speed sport, Giant FCR1, 89''Mita Quick Cross, Lotus Grand Prix Luxe, Nashbar Al. DT shifter road bike,

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
it's not as bad as cars, about ten years ago i know if you wanted to build a grande cheroke from new parts the cost was more than double. relativley it aint' that bad to have a hobby (or way of life)were you can purchase a bike equipped pretty close to what the top pros in in world were riding 7-8 years ago for a couple thousand bucks, thank god detroit does'nt sell cars
Old 07-17-09, 11:37 AM
enine

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thats why I ended up buying a new bike. Bought a used mountain bike and was using it for commuting and riding trails with the kids. Started wanting to put on a new seat, smoother tires, etc. By the time I changed it into a hybrid I would have had more invensted than a new bike but it would still just be a $150 used bike to insurance if it were ever stolen. So I just bought a new bike for the family rides and use the mountain bike as my commuter so if the already worn out seat were to get messed up its no big deal.
Of course now I want to upgrade components on both.
Old 07-18-09, 12:08 AM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The issue with the "buy the bike with the components" is that most bikes do not come with everything you want (or need). For example, I am building a trek 7.3fx for trails and commuting, and I need 25in (64cm). Trek does not make a higher fx in 25inch, and the components on the 7.3fx are mostly crap. I have no choice but to buy the bike whole, strip off most of the components, build the now empty frame with what I want (like 180mm cranks, etc), and sell the rest.

You can not buy a higher fx with xt parts, they all have road components... plus the stems, posts, bars, etc are never right from the factory...

All three of my bikes are basically the original frame with all new parts... yes it costs more, but I have exactly what I need.
Old 07-18-09, 12:30 AM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by my58vw
The issue with the "buy the bike with the components" is that most bikes do not come with everything you want (or need). For example, I am building a trek 7.3fx for trails and commuting, and I need 25in (64cm). Trek does not make a higher fx in 25inch, and the components on the 7.3fx are mostly crap. I have no choice but to buy the bike whole, strip off most of the components, build the now empty frame with what I want (like 180mm cranks, etc), and sell the rest.

You can not buy a higher fx with xt parts, they all have road components... plus the stems, posts, bars, etc are never right from the factory...

All three of my bikes are basically the original frame with all new parts... yes it costs more, but I have exactly what I need.
I'm sure being tall...you're used to that though. No offense, but I'm a "mere" 6'-4" and it pisses me off that my jeans cost an extra $2 for "tall sizes". This however does not negate the advantages of being tall.

Riverside, eh? Is Raincross Cyclery still there? That was my home shop. Great bunch of folks there. If they are, thank them for encouraging me to get into racing.
Old 07-18-09, 12:50 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
I wish I was a bit taller. Get more chicks that way
Old 07-18-09, 09:08 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

If you posted this over in the Classic and Vintage forum you'd get different answers. Lot of bike flippers there.

And it's been asked before but what do you consider to be a decent price for a decent bike? And why?
Old 07-18-09, 02:36 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by my58vw

Mate of mine is 6'6" tall and weighs 250lbs. Standard bikes don't work for him but he recently got a Giant Terrago that fitted him. Wheels were the first to change- then a change of fork as it would not take his weight. But a fork for 250lbs being ridden aggressively is not cheap. And at that weight and with Disc brakes- he now had to have a fork with a bolt through axle- so a front wheel rebuild for the Hub.

So far- His £500 bike has cost him another £600. But it now works and will last him a good few years and will not break as his last one did after 9 years. Just aswell as to build up another bike is too painfull in cost for him to do every year.

And I am now road- but Buy frame and forks and build up to my spec for my use with the components I trust and can afford.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-18-09, 02:46 PM
Zan

Bikes: Road: Trek 1.5 (2007). Mountain: Santa Cruz Chameleon (2008). Beater: Peugeot Recorde du Monde (1850)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying used is pretty neat. If you're willing to wait a couple weeks, you'll probably find what you want for 60% of original price at near mint condition.
Old 07-18-09, 08:23 PM
bikegeekmn
bikegeekmn

Bikes: Miyata710, 04' Fisher Cake, '63 Raleigh 3-speed sport, Giant FCR1, 89''Mita Quick Cross, Lotus Grand Prix Luxe, Nashbar Al. DT shifter road bike,

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
it is a lot of fun building piece by piece as you can afford the pieces-most rewarding.
Old 07-19-09, 09:20 AM
Rogue Leader

Bikes: 2009 Mercier Galaxy (custom build), 2008 Argon 18 Mercury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because theres a million manufacturers of every computer component (excluding processors) so hence a lot of cutthroat competition and price dropping.

There are 3 main bike component manufacturers (entire groupsets, we can exclude the likes of Tektro and Cane Creek that make levers and brakes), not only that many of their products serve different market segments (ie Shimano Sora, of which neither other company offers an equivalent "cheap" set).

So when you have manufacturers buying groupsets in bulk from only 1 or 2 of 3 total suppliers, the prices for them will definitely be cheaper.