Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Who are you? Where do you ride?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Who are you? Where do you ride?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-09, 03:09 PM
Sgt C USMC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My name is Chris. I'm 29 years old, and currently living in sunny San Diego, down in the Mission Valley area. I only got into riding a couple of months ago, but I've definitely caught the bug. I'm a very active person, run close to 40 miles a week, do P90x in the mornings, and then cycle in the afternoons and weekends. When I'm not doing that, I'm also a rated chess player and you can find me at the San Diego Chess Club.

I currently ride a Scantante (sp) CFR elite with a full ultegra set up, but rumor has it there's a Kestrel Talon SL with a full SRAM red set up or a Look 566 in my relatively near future.

I'm looking for riders to join me on rides, so if you live in the area, and you don't mind someone learning the ropes from you, let me know!! I haven't decided on a bicycle club in my area yet, so any advice towards that would be appreciated.

Hope to see you on the road.
Old 11-02-09, 05:02 PM
n8tron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a streetfire in the santa monica mountains pretty much every Saturday morning... PCH, Latigo, Old Topanga, Piuma, Las Flores are usually what I'm on.
Old 11-02-09, 10:51 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to all of the newcomers!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 11-04-09, 09:36 AM
MUZE

Bikes: Scott CR 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from West Hills

Hi there,
I decided that cycling looks like a fun, non impact (easy on the joints unless one parts company with the bike) form of exercise a few months ago so I took it up. I'm a bit too mature to race (64 this coming February) but do enjoy the roads in the west San Fernando Valley (Valley Circle Blvd., Mulholland Highway), north of Los Angeles.
I started with a Giant Kronos that has been idle in the garage for many years. It was either my daughter's or my wife's. When I found I was enjoying it I upgraded to a pristine '07 Trek 1500 SLR that I found on ebay. If I keep at it I might consider a cf framed bike in the future though I'm intrigued by some of the vintage (Colnago, De Rosa, Bottecchia, etc.) bikes that I see. I also am involved with classic British cars, I guess when you like classic cars the attraction of a vintage bike isn't off base.

See you on the road,

Bob
Old 11-07-09, 09:28 PM
jtnewhou

Bikes: Univega Activa ST

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posted an intro on the main board. Figured I'd say hi here. Ride mostly around North OC. Fullerton specifically. I probably know a couple people on this board. The wife and I live car-free. We may get some motorcycles if we can find time to put her in an MSF course. I'll try to post a pic of our rides in a day or two.

Is there such a thing as a 'competitive commuter?'
Old 11-09-09, 02:21 AM
bigtempo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello. I live in Duarte and ride all over the San Gabriel Valley. Mainly like to be in the San Gabriel Mountains. My main current ride is an 85 Bridgestone 400.
Old 11-19-09, 12:36 AM
ChromeSE5

Bikes: Madone 5.2 Fuji D6 speciialized Sworks Stumpjumper FSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ssjkyle31

Rick
I usually ride from Plaza Bonita to Otay Lakes road then proceding to Coronado Strand. I started riding this summmer. My ride is a GT GTR Pro carbon. I rode the Cycle Eastlake Metric Century and the Tour De Poway Metric Century.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGrmg7FJSe0 Here is some of the video I have taken.
I see that you ride with Ron, Rudy, Dan, and the bunch. Were you there last Saturday when we went to the strand? I only recognize people by bike lol.
Old 11-21-09, 11:01 PM
siberian_nick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey folks,

I'm an undergraduate student residing in Burbank, CA. I've been an active person my whole life and always rode bikes as a kid. I'm saving up to get a single-speed and then see how I like it before I dive into an investment (aka a decent entry-level road bike).

I look forward to riding
Old 11-29-09, 01:24 AM
ChrizzleDizzle6

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey all! im chris and im in my second year of college!
i just started biking this year and love it
id like to meet more people to ride with and share the love for the sport!
i ride an 07 Denali XL road bike and my rides consist of 15-20 miles 2 times a week all through out the conejo!
Old 12-22-09, 05:18 AM
Ridetimecycling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

My name is Wayne and I switched over from mountain biking about 2 and a half years ago. I got tired of watching roadies laugh at me as I tried to climb some hill that technically mountain bikers shouldn't be riding unless there on a trail. The transition was pretty smooth and before I knew it I was rolling 30, 50, and 100 milers. I've been lurking around the bike forums for awhile and decided that I needed to post.

I started a group ride that rolls every Saturday and Sunday in the Los Angeles area. I roll anywhere between 20 to 70 miles at an average speed of between 12 to 19mph. If any riders wanna ride, train, or just be a part of a group. Feel free to check out my group ride here -->> https://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/RideTimeCycling
Old 12-28-09, 03:10 PM
chefxian
5 Time Bike Path Champion

Bikes: BMC SLCO1, BMC RMO1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=Ridetimecycling;10176039]Hello,

My name is Wayne and I switched over from mountain biking about 2 and a half years ago. I got tired of watching roadies laugh at me as I tried to climb some hill that technically mountain bikers shouldn't be riding unless there on a trail. The transition was pretty smooth and before I knew it I was rolling 30, 50, and 100 milers. I've been lurking around the bike forums for awhile and decided that I needed to post.

I started a group ride that rolls every Saturday and Sunday in the Los Angeles area. I roll anywhere between 20 to 70 miles at an average speed of between 12 to 19mph. If any riders wanna ride, train, or just be a part of a group. Feel free to check out my group ride here -->> https://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/RideTimeCycling

UOTE]

Wayne's good people. Come on out and check out one of his ride.
Old 12-28-09, 10:01 PM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sgt C USMC
My name is Chris. I'm 29 years old, and currently living in sunny San Diego, down in the Mission Valley area. I only got into riding a couple of months ago, but I've definitely caught the bug. I'm a very active person, run close to 40 miles a week, do P90x in the mornings, and then cycle in the afternoons and weekends. When I'm not doing that, I'm also a rated chess player and you can find me at the San Diego Chess Club.

I currently ride a Scantante (sp) CFR elite with a full ultegra set up, but rumor has it there's a Kestrel Talon SL with a full SRAM red set up or a Look 566 in my relatively near future.

I'm looking for riders to join me on rides, so if you live in the area, and you don't mind someone learning the ropes from you, let me know!! I haven't decided on a bicycle club in my area yet, so any advice towards that would be appreciated.

Hope to see you on the road.
whats this p90x crap i keep hearing about. Is it legit? works? I'm tempted to download the dvd's but dont really need to download then delete crap
Old 01-04-10, 12:35 AM
efficiency
Does Not Exist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ovoleg
whats this p90x crap i keep hearing about. Is it legit? works? I'm tempted to download the dvd's but dont really need to download then delete crap
I thought that the bodybuilding.com guys were showing you how to get ripped?
Old 02-17-10, 05:37 PM
aboss3

Bikes: 2019 BMC Teammachine 02, 2019 Trek X-Caliber MTB, 2010 Specialized Allez Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My name is Alex, and I've been riding for more than 2 years. I usually ride along the beach from Marina Del Ray to Palos Verdes, and back. I got a 2010 Specialized Allez Elite.
Sometimes my wife joins me, and she's new to riding, so we both ride cruisers along the coastline

I live in Hollywood, so it's hard for me to get out and ride every day because there are no good trails near by. But every weekend I try to get out and get some good 20-30 miles out of the bike. I am looking forward to joining a community of riders, and ride together sometimes on the weekend. I usually average 16-19mph when riding alone.
Old 02-23-10, 10:01 PM
jeff_s
Burbanki

Bikes: 08 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to the forum, my name is Jeff and I live in Burbank. Spent about 2 years getting into cycling with a Craigslist special (white, mid-80's Peugeot) and recently upgraded to a new bike. Been riding around Griffith Park, Glendale, Pasadena and Mulholland. I'm on the blue, white and red Tarmac - I've got full sleeve tattoos but usually hide them from the sun under white and black Hammer arm warmers.

Looking for riding buddies in the area.
Old 03-04-10, 01:27 PM
prrnrngr

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I'm George. I live in Alta Loma (Rancho Cucamonga) but I ride in the San Dimas area usually. Just did my first century yesterday (SART to SGRT) with cachequatch. Here is my bike, without me on it of course haha. I ride a Kona ***** Tonk, that is pretty much stock, besides my Fizik saddle, pedals and a cateye comp.*edit*just realized that I know ^jeff_s^ from soccer. Small world!*edit*

Last edited by prrnrngr; 03-04-10 at 01:51 PM.

Old 03-12-10, 10:46 PM
carguyeddie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone, my name is Eddie i just started riding....... wow and what a ride ! I live in Downey Ca. so i usually ride along the San Gabriel river bed towards Long Beach. I didnt have much money to buy an expensive road bike so i purchased a Focus RT-550 mid 80s which cleaned up very nice . Although relized it was to large 59cm but i have been riding it for about six weeks. I just purchased a mid 90s Peugeot PE200 57cm which fits me very well. The bike was shipped to the US by a soldier stationed in Germany . It has Stronglight 185 cranks and Shimano 515 groupo. I've added new tires and new cables for ft & bk dr . Bike rides very well for its age. I have thought about saving for a new bike but i'm starting to enjoy the vintage bikes. I will just have to wait and see where my new journey with bicycles takes me! I hope to continue riding for many years to come.
Old 03-15-10, 04:00 AM
gumbii
mutant...

Bikes: skinny benny single speed/fixed gear, fuji carbon fiber road bike...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hello... i'm gumbii from bell gardens... i just started...

i usually roam the RHRT from suva street up north... i hit the trail at least 3 times a week... right now i'm rocking a skinny benny single speed/fixed gear bike...

here's me...

here's my bike...

i have a '09 fuji carbon road bike 27speed road bike waiting for me at performance bicycles in gardena, but i haven't picked it up... i have no ride and no one wants to take me... lol... but yeah i just started this hobby and didn't want to spend $texas on a high end bike... that, and it's only me and my neighbor that go riding... we don't have other friends that are into this hobby that are local...

like i said, we hit the trails or try to hit it 3 times a week... maybe after i get the road bike i will go more... i live a couple of blocks away from the entrance near treasure island park, so we ride from my house... so far we've only ridden about 100miles total... today we went to lower azuza road i think... that's the farthest we've ever gone... in fact... the last picture of my bike was taken today when before we came back... it was getting dark... the darkness got me when we passed the 10fwy... and it was super scary going thru the lower part of the northern rio hondo river trail before hitting san gabriel blvd... lol...

pretty soon we're going to start going south to long beach... maybe hit age of aquariums just for kicks...

more about me... my primary hobby is reef keeping... you know, saltwater tanks... i'm in two reef clubs and that takes up most of my time and money... i have three adopted kids that one of my sister's couldn't keep for herself... right now i'm unemployed and seeking employment... my last job was managing a small silkscreen shop... i did most graffics and artwork... and printed... that shop crashed down with the economy...

well... if you see me hitting the trails or wanna ride with someone else hit me up... i'm super friendly and i feel more comfortable riding with more people especially since we usually ride kind of late in the afternoon...

happy cycling...
Old 04-01-10, 11:07 AM
atmdad
Oh Snap, not again...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New here to these forums, been riding bikes of various shapes and sizes all my life, over the last couple of years i've been gravitating primarily to road biking. Home base is Cardiff, which makes a nice starting point for rides north, south or east. Here is a messy pic of the fam damily's stable:

I had been primarily tooling around on the flat bar hybrid hanging on the far left, but my new baby is the 3rd one over, a new Giant Defy Advanced. Sweet bike, but the stock saddle sucks. I did about 40 miles last Saturday after I picked it up from the shop and for the last 5 miles it felt like a jackhammer on my arse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike_stable_2..jpg (54.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 04-09-10, 12:05 PM
Aural B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
12 Speed in a Fixed Gear Neighborhood

Greetings all!
I'm Ben, I live in Silver Lake and work in Culver. I've been a regular commuter/lurker on the site for the last year and I've finally taken the plunge and joined BF.

My usual weekend rides tend to be street expeditions around the city but lately I've been itching to stretch my legs and cover a bit more ground, and maybe spend a little less time dodging traffic. I'm also contemplating adding a shiny new aluminum bike to the stable since my bike is pretty, but isn't the best for climbing.

I'm not really sure yet how far I'm conditioned to ride, but I'd love to find out. In the next year I aspire to do a ride from LA to San Diego. Anyone done it? Have any tips or suggestions for me? For the reasons I mentioned above I'm particularly curious how bad the hills get along the way.

Here's my ride. I'll post pictures of me in action once I've got someone to take them. :-)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
25254_413386485849_&.jpg (67.0 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Aural B; 04-12-10 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-12-10, 01:58 AM
Chilero

Bikes: 78 Gios Super Record, 74 Colnago Super, 54 Hetchins Vade Mecum, 50's Royal Nord Commander, 67 Atala Record, 80s Univega Italsport.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Ben, welcome. My wife and I usually ride long charity rides. Among our favorites are the Tour de Palm Springs, Tour de Sewer, and the Solvang Century. There are many others, each offers rides of various distances from 15 to 100 miles in a casual bike-friendly atmosphere. If you're interested in finding out your limits, a ride to San Diego is probably not quite the place to do it, although it's pretty flat. My wife and I did that ride about 4 years ago in heavy steel bikes (relative to today's carbon feather-weights). My advice is to start easy, find a trail like the LA River, Rio Hondo, San Gabriel River, and test yourself there.
Good luck and ride safe!

PS: The photo of your bike doesn't seem to be showing up in my browser.
Old 04-12-10, 01:03 PM
Aural B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Darn, it seems I've missed all three of your favorites this year. They look great though, I'll be sure to catch them next time around and look for something else in the meantime.

I pulled the trigger on a new bike this weekend: got a great clearance deal on a 2009 Cannondale Six 5. Put about 20mi on it yesterday and boy does it fly!

Old 04-12-10, 11:59 PM
Bearrister

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

My name is Mike. My fiancee and I live in Downtown LA. We started biking about a month ago (has it really only been a month?!), but it feels like sooo much longer. We've definitely caught the cycling bug! We both started with hybrid bikes (Specialized Sirrus for me and Specialized Vita for her)... but we both enjoyed biking so much that we quickly moved up to road bikes (Trek 2.3, Bianchi She Alu for her)! The great thing with riding is that, in combination with the workouts I started shortly before I started biking, I can feel myself slowly getting into better shape. Which is a big deal to me because I was feeling pretty disgusted with myself before I started!

We've ridden parts of the SRGT, LA River Trail, South Bay trail, San Diego Creek Trail, and Newport back loop. Each ride has gotten better and better, and I feel confident that this is a hobby that I will really stick with. I've definitely been guilty of skipping from hobby to hobby and interest to interest, but the reason I feel confident I'll stick with this hobby is that no matter how hard a ride is initially, or at the end (when I'm worn out), I'm always looking forward to the next ride!
Old 04-18-10, 06:16 PM
jason.lee740

Bikes: Shogun 600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My name is Jason Lee and I am from Riverside, CA.

I am new to biking though I have biked casually before a long time ago.

As of now I am only riding around town and school campus.

Also I'm trying to look for a good shop to take my bike too.

Use to walk or drive everywhere but biking seems to be much better and I think I'm gonna enjoy it a lot.
Old 04-19-10, 04:25 PM
Smogsteve

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Specilized Roubaix Pro, Schwinn Paramount 1971, trek Remedy, AMP Mtn bike, Cannondale R700, Ibis hardtail,other old bikes

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Jason
If you want a good LBS near UCR try Anthony’s Cyclery (Riverside)
5225 Canyon Crest Dr. Suite 303
Riverside, CA 92507
(951) 328-9131
He is a great guy and can help you with anything you might need for your bike.
You also might like to try riding with the Riverside bike Club. <riversidebicycleclub.com>. We have several levels of riding and welcome new riders for any of our rides.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.