Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Going for the unbranded

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Going for the unbranded

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-15, 05:29 PM
Tri4life

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going for the unbranded

Ok so after an excess of reading forums and reviews till I wanted to die I'm going with a Chinese unbranded frame. Just wanted to see if anyone had better experiences ordering from velobuild or from dengfu directly. Long story short.. I snapped off my braze on derailluer hanger and since its aluminum no one will even touch it. I'm just gonna swap compeneners over and if anything needs to be replaced I'll go for it.
Old 04-07-15, 05:57 PM
Bunyanderman

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are many unbranded bikes directly from china, and they are very attractive by their low price. I really don't like when they sell the ones that have a fake paint job, this being they paint it according to the real frame/company. I think some paint jobs can be good, but when they paint the cervelo logo it gives me bad vibes.

I have briefly followed this thread Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread - Weight Weenies and they seem to be pretty content with their chinese frames.
Old 04-07-15, 06:00 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a frame from hongfu.

it is fine.
Old 04-07-15, 06:01 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
There can be some QA/QC issues with the velo-build frames especially with tolerances so it isn't perfect. I personally ride an unbranded frame with fake 3T carbon bars and it's the best bike I've ever ridden (compared to Allez, Noah, Roubaix, Felt F series).
Old 04-07-15, 06:02 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I was going to go that route a few years ago and read sooooooooo many pages of that RBR thread my eyes went bad. I'm still laughing about the Chinerello Dogpoo though. Bloody brilliant.

Dengfu seemed to be pretty good for the most part. You can also go with pedalforce or even nashbar if you want a middle man in your transaction in case things don't go smoothly.

I ended up getting a used branded frame on ebay for about the same price and was perfectly happy with it.
Old 04-07-15, 06:13 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
The Hongfu and Dengfu "66" type frames are among the lightest and according to many folks are made in the same factory. The price from Hongfu is about 60% higher than somewhat similar frames on ebay. I was quoted $732 all in including frame, fork, BB, seatpost clamp, shipping and surcharge for Pay Pal. The ebay near equivalents (less stiff carbon) can be had for $465 delivered. If there is anything like a real warranty, it would be from dealing with Hongfu or Dengfu. The price is not bad, but is higher than I was expecting.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 04-07-15, 06:26 PM
stlcowboyfan

Bikes: 2014 Fuji SST 1.3 Frame set build

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I was going to go that route a few years ago and read sooooooooo many pages of that RBR thread my eyes went bad.
I did this same thing, lol. I would literally fall asleep in front of the lap top at night researching Chinese carbon frames and reading everything google had to offer...and then one day I saw a Fuji SST frameset brand new on Ebay in my size...it was a bike I had been lusting over, but didn't have the $3400 at the moment to drop on a complete bike. So I bought the frameset and stashed it til I was ready to build.
Old 04-07-15, 06:48 PM
Tri4life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I'm leaning toward the Dengfu, it seems super light. Especially the TT frame. Hongfu didn't have the TT frame I needed, only the "super bike" type. So for the prices it's Dengfu or Velo Build. Dengfu looks like the better build, but velobuild looks a like the easier one to deal with. Anyone have experience with either?
Old 04-07-15, 07:55 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they were all built in the same factory.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 04-07-15, 09:17 PM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
This is my Velobuildmall R-041. It's also sold as a FM 098 at Defung I believe. I bought the 88mm carbon fiber rims from Aliexpress. The Ultegra Di2 was a take off a brand new bike I got for a really good price. I have about 2,000 miles on it, and it is doing fine. I have taken it 107 miles in one day conquering San Francisco's toughest climbs.

Old 04-08-15, 07:20 PM
noob_rider

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bugly64
This is my Velobuildmall R-041. It's also sold as a FM 098 at Defung I believe. I bought the 88mm carbon fiber rims from Aliexpress. The Ultegra Di2 was a take off a brand new bike I got for a really good price. I have about 2,000 miles on it, and it is doing fine. I have taken it 107 miles in one day conquering San Francisco's toughest climbs.

good lord, that's hideous. well done.
Old 04-08-15, 09:43 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hah! Love it! Especiallyu the "Schmenge" part!

Now all you need are some Chinglish safety warning stickers.....

If I ever get one, it's going to be a "Fecalized".....
Old 04-08-15, 10:04 PM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
I was going to post it in Hot or Not, but I didn't want to break the internet...
This is my favorite decal on the bike:
Old 04-08-15, 10:17 PM
KonaRider125

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 4 Star, Kona Splice, Nashbar Carbon road bike

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nashbar sells a carbon road frame as well, check it out.
Old 04-09-15, 04:08 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

just don't bring it to your bike shop. unless you want park tools being pelted at you by financially distressed bike shop employees

seious question though, how does it ride compared to a real venge? can you notice a difference between it and the proclaimed "FACT IS" carbon layup?
Old 04-09-15, 04:54 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KonaRider125
Nashbar sells a carbon road frame as well, check it out.
Their sizes go 46,49,52,55,58. Riding a 54 Sportiff right now. $600 or add another $650 for $1250 total and get it as a rolling bike in 5800 105. it is gloss black though.....
  • Gloss finish is an eye-catching stunner
, the matte black Chinese stuff was what was calling me :-)....not sure if the complete 105 bike is the same frame or not, but it is a matte finish, which I like better :-).

Like most Nashbar, and to be fair other entry level stuff it is not a "complete" 5800 group.....shimano crank is nicer and worth the extra money because you have more freedom in chainring selection IMHO.

Shopping groupsets in the UK I see Merlin has a complete 105 carbon road bike for around $1300 shipped....not sure if there are any import duties there though.

Bill

Last edited by Willbird; 04-09-15 at 05:06 AM.
Old 04-09-15, 05:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
Hah! Love it! Especiallyu the "Schmenge" part!

Now all you need are some Chinglish safety warning stickers.....

If I ever get one, it's going to be a "Fecalized".....
Thanks, man. I just spit coffee all over my computer.
Old 04-09-15, 06:00 AM
indyfabz

I was going to post it in Hot or Not, but I didn't want to break the internet...
This is my favorite decal on the bike:
You should add a decal that reads "PUT ON GROUND. LIGHT FUSE. GET AWAY."
Old 04-09-15, 06:11 AM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You should add a decal that reads "PUT ON GROUND. LIGHT FUSE. GET AWAY."
Isn't that QR position an invitation for the haters lining up there to make your "sprint" a low slower ?? :-).
Old 04-09-15, 07:05 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Willbird
Isn't that QR position an invitation for the haters lining up there to make your "sprint" a low slower ?? :-).
Huh?

BTW...The QR lever is in the proper position.
Old 04-09-15, 07:14 AM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Willbird
Huh?

Some people like to tuck it into the corner between the seat stay & chain stay, but racers like to have it hanging off the back.

For that extra millisecond saved when wheel changes are necessary.

A more considered opinion is that it ensures the skewer QR isn't somehow disturbed by the back of your shoe.
Old 04-09-15, 07:41 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I bought a ~$500 frame from ICAN a few years ago and it was pretty good. A couple of issues:

1. The internal cable routing was complete garbage. It rattled constantly and loudly, had a lot of friction and had an extraordinarily stupid design both around the BB and in the rear dropout. Bike-killing level bad design here.
2. The RD hanger wasn't square when I got the bike. The necessitated a trip to the bike shop for a slighty nervey bending sessions.

Other than that the bike handled really well, was extremely stiff, cosmetically looked good, was built like a tank, had a square BB and well machined headset race and a had nicely designed seatpost. Unfixable binding and ever increasing friction in the internal cabling ended up killing the frame. At least it was cheap. My experience is just watch it with the details on these frames.
Old 04-09-15, 07:55 AM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Huh?

I had read years ago that in the racers book of tricks was to flip a QR in that position OPEN using your front tire ? Google search says "accidental" but what I read years ago implied it was an intentional offensive tactic :-).

Last edited by Willbird; 04-09-15 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-09-15, 09:36 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, man. I just spit coffee all over my computer.
I want to know if that warning sticker on his wheel has some funny Chinglish in it! (I loved the ones which were on the Chinese ATV I once had! They were hilarious- and made absolutely no sense!)
Old 04-09-15, 09:46 AM
SirHustlerEsq

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would do a Nud frame, not the stuff suggested here. A buddy bought one from HF I believe, RD shifted differently based upon rear skewer torque, had a death-wobble at speed, frame filled-up with water in rain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.