Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Logo Delete?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-15, 10:11 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Logo Delete?

Not a specific question but I'd like to hear what works and what doesn't on actual logo deletes for actual parts.

Have you deleted the Nitto logo on a stem? Have you removed the H PLUS SON or Mavic lettering from a wheel? Have you removed the DuraAce or Sugino lettering from a crankset? Have you eliminated the giant SRAM lettering they tend to put on all their parts?

What did you use? Polish, paint, acetone or sharpie? How long did it take? Challenges - paint adhesion on various surfaces, color match, burned both eye sockets with paint stripper and now permanently blind? How much effort went into it and was it worth it for you? F'd it up and wish you hadn't?

Last edited by TimothyH; 09-26-15 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-26-15, 11:13 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Removed the S80 and the frog from this wheel. Was a lot of work. I had to peel some stickers off.

Kidding aside, it really depends on what type of finish that you are working with.
Old 09-26-15, 11:27 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
A Clorox wipe went right through the print on my old Exage parts. Hopefully it won't be that easy for most things.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-26-15, 11:52 PM
Regulatori

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 12 Posts
I used paint remover/stripper to remove the decals on my chrome Pista and the powdercoating off my Velocity wheels. I used a brand called Jasco from Home Depot (small can goes far). The stuff is strong and you just apply the gel with a paintbrush and let it sit for for awhile. When the clearcoat/paint starts bubbling up, use a PLASTIC scraper. It took about 4-5 coats on both the frame and wheels. I was impatient and would let it sit for about 30 min before scraping...you might have better results by leaving it on longer (won't waste as much).

The decals are more of a pain because you have to cut through the clearcoat. The whole process took a few hours. The powdercoating strips off easily and falls off like a slimy/wet plastic. I would then finish with odorless mineral sprites.

Both the wheels and the frame turned out perfect. The clearcoat on the frame had a lot of scratches/use but now looks smooth/brand new.

You need to use thick rubber gloves, preferably long sleeves, and goggles. The stuff will sometimes fly around when applying it with a paint brush.

Two recommendations if I do it over.
-Buy multiple sets of rubber gloves. The stuff will eat through gloves.
-Lay a LOT of newspaper/plastic down so the stuff doesn't get everywhere. It's still a pain to clean up though.

I've seen some pictures of people doing it in their bathtub...I would not recommend that. I would advise doing it outdoors on a breezy day because of the chemical smell.
Old 09-27-15, 01:18 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12784 Post(s)
Liked 7,697 Times in 4,086 Posts
I've de-stickered rims by peeling and cleaning the sticky with acetone.

I've wiped out pad-printed component logos, some with acetone, some I had to take it up a notch and hit it with MEK.
Old 09-27-15, 10:19 AM
Euthyphro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One should never remove a nitto logo.
Old 09-27-15, 11:04 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Holy ****, just ride your bike.
Old 09-27-15, 11:19 AM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Regulatori
I've seen some pictures of people doing it in their bathtub...I would not recommend that. I would advise doing it outdoors on a breezy day because of the chemical smell.
Center For Public Integrity Details Dangers Of Paint Stripper Solvent
Old 09-27-15, 02:24 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
1. Laser etched logo on stems. Sanded it off and polished the stem. Good result.
2. H+Son logos (decals) on rims. Acetone and lots of elbow grease. Excellent result.
3. Painted logo on an anodized stem. Razor blade at extreme angle. Left no scratches.
4. Tire logos (hot patches) removed with fine sandpaper. Excellent result.
Old 09-27-15, 04:40 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Regulatori
I used paint remover/stripper to remove the decals on my chrome Pista and the powdercoating off my Velocity wheels.

The decals are more of a pain because you have to cut through the clearcoat.

The clearcoat on the frame had a lot of scratches/use but now looks smooth/brand new.
You stripped the frame down to the metal and then clear coated it? I'm wondering how much it would cost to have a bike frame chrome plated?

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I've de-stickered rims by peeling and cleaning the sticky with acetone.

I've wiped out pad-printed component logos, some with acetone, some I had to take it up a notch and hit it with MEK.
Tried acetone on some Shimano pedals. The coating on the pedal started to come off but it had zero effect on the Shimano logo.
Old 09-28-15, 08:49 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Holy ****, just ride your bike.
Plus fking one!