Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pacific Coast Route North to South???

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-15, 12:16 PM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Bikes: Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When is the best time of the year to start riding North to South on the Pacific Coast Route???

I am starting in Sacramento, CA or Portland, OR to the Pacific Ocean... then South to San Diego, CA in 6-3-2016 or 6-3-2017! my facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Bicyc...ficCoastUS101/ and I am looking to ride slow and easy on the Pacific Coast Route from Sacramento, CA or Portland, OR to San Diego, CA... from
25 miles to 50 miles a days and taking layovers in some towns on the Route

Last edited by Biketouringhobo; 03-02-16 at 11:36 PM. Reason: new words
Old 11-19-15, 12:28 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
We're headed into the rainy season and it may last into April of this year due to El Nino conditions.
Old 11-19-15, 12:40 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
June sounds like an OK time to me.

That said, right after Labor Day is really nice, maybe the very best. The crowds and traffic have died down and the weather is great.
Old 11-19-15, 12:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Geography Hint : Portland is Not On the Oregon Coast, It's Inland.. behind the Coast range ..

Where the Willamette flows into the Columbia River..
Old 11-19-15, 01:04 PM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Geography Hint : Portland is Not On the Oregon Coast, It's Inland.. behind the Coast range ..

Where the Willamette flows into the Columbia River..
I know where Portland, OR is! only place for Amtrak Train are...

Last edited by Biketouringhobo; 11-19-15 at 01:06 PM. Reason: fixed words
Old 11-19-15, 01:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

or Eugene, its at the southern end , upstream on the Willamette river .

route over the hill to pick up the Smith river and Reedsport is low traffic.
Old 11-19-15, 01:41 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Traffic starts to pick up after Memorial Day, so usually May is good since it's after most of the rainy season but before the crowds arrive. The forecast this year is for an extended rainy season which could complicate things. If you can keep things flexible you might wait until the long-range forecasts give a better idea.
Old 11-19-15, 03:16 PM
McBTC

That was a crap ride... but, the biscuits and gravy in Reedsport never tasted so good.
Old 11-19-15, 03:18 PM
fietsbob
Banned

International Paper's trees are a good bit taller than the stumpage I saw in the 90's..

Just sayin' 6th month of the year renamed June-uary, here.. this aint like So or Nor Cal.

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-19-15 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-19-15, 03:30 PM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What is the best part of the ride to do? I have done the whole Oregon coast by car several times since my best friend lived in Gold Beach. I don't remember seeing all that much in Washington, though probably we were more inland, and I imagine a lot of California is good. But starting in the north to be on the ocean side, what section should one include and is there any way to get a good run for a few days before hitting the hills. Seem to remember hills pretty much everywhere. I have no interest in doing sections just so I can say I did the whole thing.
Old 11-19-15, 03:54 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by MassiveD
What is the best part of the ride to do? I have done the whole Oregon coast by car several times since my best friend lived in Gold Beach. I don't remember seeing all that much in Washington, though probably we were more inland, and I imagine a lot of California is good. But starting in the north to be on the ocean side, what section should one include and is there any way to get a good run for a few days before hitting the hills. Seem to remember hills pretty much everywhere. I have no interest in doing sections just so I can say I did the whole thing.
All of Oregon from the Astoria Bridge south is fantastic. Close behind that is Northern Cali. Washington is bogus. Many parts of the ride from SF to Carpenteria are great as well. South of Long Beach to Sunset cliffs offers a lot too. LA is of course bad news.
Old 11-19-15, 10:20 PM
turkey9186

Bikes: 2014 CDale EVO, 2007 System Six, 2004 Litespeed Solano, 2002 Burley Duet

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amtrak to Albany and Hwy 20 to Newport or state hwy 34 to Waldport and south.
Old 11-19-15, 11:02 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketouringhobo
When is the best time of the year to start riding North to South on the Pacific Coast Route???

I am starting in Sacramento, CA or Portland, OR to the Pacific Ocean... then South to San Diego, CA in 6-3-2016 or 6-3-2017! my facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Bicyc...ficCoastUS101/ and I am looking to ride slow and easy on the Pacific Coast Route from Sacramento, CA or Portland, OR to San Diego, CA... from
25 miles to 50 miles a days and taking layovers in some towns on the Route

in 5/2016 I also plan to go to NY, PA, NJ to do a loop bike touring trip then get on Amtrak train to Portland,OR or Sacramento, CA 10-3-2016
then bike to
San Diego, CA
You can actually take the Amtrak bus from the Train Station to Astoria, Oregon. That will save yo a little riding time getting to the actual coast.
Old 11-20-15, 01:09 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
If you start in Sacramento, you'll miss the whole north coast of CA, which is pretty spectacular. OTOH, the Sacramento delta is very cool and most folks don't know about it. From Sac you would go southwest to SF, and down the coast from there. Portland is nearly in Washington, so you could see lots of Oregon also. It'd be much longer. I've toured up there and it's awesome.

AFA weather, yeah, El Nino year, you will get rained on unless you wait till next late spring or later.
Old 11-20-15, 01:32 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by turkey9186
Amtrak to Albany and Hwy 20 to Newport or state hwy 34 to Waldport and south.
If I were going to do that, I'd change up and head over to Corvallis (see the Willamette Valley Scenic Bikeway for that connection) and then roll down Bellfountain Rd to Alpine. From there, it's a lovely trip to Alsea and then on to Waldport via hwy 34. This avoids the crummy parts of hwy 20 and hwy 34.

Think like a cyclist, not a motorist. Direct routes aren't necessarily the best routes, unless you have a taste for exhaust fumes, traffic and stress.
Old 11-20-15, 01:34 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Originally Posted by McBTC
That was a crap ride... but, the biscuits and gravy in Reedsport never tasted so good.
You're the first person I have ever heard express a negative opinion of the ride from Eugene to Reedsport via the Smith River. Much of that ride used to be my bike commute route and I considered myself to be the luckiest man alive. What didn't you like about it?
Old 11-20-15, 09:14 AM
McBTC

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
You're the first person I have ever heard express a negative opinion of the ride from Eugene to Reedsport via the Smith River. Much of that ride used to be my bike commute route and I considered myself to be the luckiest man alive. What didn't you like about it?
First day out on a ride to SF and waking up in the middle of the night with a skunk in my face didn't help and not having a low enough gear had me leaving everyone in my wake on every hill (for going downriver there's a lot climbing on that route). Although, I do admit it got my mind right.. within a week I was flying through the hilly ups downs along the coast north of SF like a kite in the wind.
Old 11-20-15, 08:01 PM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I am also curious about the Sacramento starting point, since if you don't transfer to an Amtrak bus in Stockton to go there off the northbound San Joaquin train, it ends up in Martinez, in the Bay Area. Heading west to the coast from Sacramento in the late spring will 99% of the time involve riding into a strong headwind across a flatland that has very little there to block it. I hope you are also ready for lots of hills on some parts of the coast route.

Are you planning to stay in any of the many fine hike 'n' bike sites available, or do you plan to free camp? You may wish to try out a hike 'n' site on an overnighter someplace near you in SD County, or take the Metrolink to Riverside to check out Lake Perris, or take the Surfliner to Santa Barbara and end up in LA, in order to check a few of them out.

Last edited by stevepusser; 11-20-15 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-20-15, 10:23 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by stevepusser
I am also curious about the Sacramento starting point, since if you don't transfer to an Amtrak bus in Stockton to go there off the northbound San Joaquin train, it ends up in Martinez, in the Bay Area. Heading west to the coast from Sacramento in the late spring will 99% of the time involve riding into a strong headwind across a flatland that has very little there to block it. I hope you are also ready for lots of hills on some parts of the coast route.
There's some truth to that.

Alternatively, you could leave Sacramento going south and follow the river to Rio Vista on the 160, then head west on country roads and frontage roads, making your way through Fairfield and to Vallejo. (don't forget a map!!!) From Vallejo get on a ferry with bike and enjoy the pretty ride to SF. This also saves you from getting mugged in the east bay. Get off in SF and continue.
Old 11-21-15, 10:08 AM
McBTC

Amtrac also stops in Kelso which is great as hitting the coast from there has you crossing over the Astoria bridge to Oregon, which is a great way to start the Pacific Coast Trail.
Old 11-21-15, 10:21 AM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevepusser

Are you planning to stay in any of the many fine hike 'n' bike sites available, or do you plan to free camp? You may wish to try out a hike 'n' site on an overnighter someplace near you in SD County, or take the Metrolink to Riverside to check out Lake Perris, or take the Surfliner to Santa Barbara and end up in LA, in order to check a few of them out.
my plans is take Amtrak Train from Oceanside, CA to Syracuse, NY for summer from 5-2016 to 10-2016 to do a bike touring trip in NY, PA and NJ a small loop of PA, NJ then ride west on US.6 in PA to Cleveland, OH then get on Amtrak Train in Cleveland, OH to Sacramento, CA then ride South to San Diego, CA and Portland, OR to San Diego, CA summer of 2017
Old 11-22-15, 04:12 PM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amtrac also stops in Kelso which is great as hitting the coast from there has you crossing over the Astoria bridge to Oregon, which is a great way to start the Pacific Coast Trail.
Kelso, WA No Checked Bags on Amtrak train from LA, CA
Old 11-23-15, 10:30 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Portland's Union Station is your only choice, then. Kelso is Empty a lot of the time.

Eugene to Seattle has another set of trains,for local commuters, but you won't be on those, coming from Cal.

'Coast Starlight' is the Amtrak route I used from Emeryville-Oakland, to Eugene, OR .. that section takes 24 hours

from one late afternoon to the next, like: Lv 5pm Ar 4pm the next day.

It aint the TGV.

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-23-15 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-23-15, 12:07 PM
McBTC

A bit confusing as to Kelso --e.g., maybe you can make a reservation for your bike (from the Amtrak site):
BICYCLES

Make a reservation for both you and your bike aboard Amtrak Cascades. There are two options for bringing your bike – you can use one of our onboard bike racks, or box your bicycle and check it as baggage.

Ten bike racks are available on each Amtrak Cascades train. Bike racks are very popular and reservations are required. The cost for reserving space in the bike rack is $5. Bicycle racks will not accommodate tandem, recumbent or other unusual bikes. Such bikes must be transported as checked baggage in a box.

Boxed bicycles do not require a reservation and can be checked as baggage. There is a $10 handling fee for checking a boxed bike. (This is subject to change without notice.) Not all stations have checked baggage service, and baggage service may not be available every day. Don't have a bicycle box? Bicycle boxes are available for purchase for $15 at staffed Amtrak stations with checked baggage service. Bicycles usually must be partially disassembled. For details regarding boxing your bicycle, on general information bringing bicycles onboard, please visit Amtrak.com
Amtrak Cascades - Baggage
Old 11-23-15, 01:15 PM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A bit confusing as to Kelso --e.g., maybe you can make a reservation for your bike (from the Amtrak site):
BICYCLES

Make a reservation for both you and your bike aboard Amtrak Cascades. There are two options for bringing your bike – you can use one of our onboard bike racks, or box your bicycle and check it as baggage.

Ten bike racks are available on each Amtrak Cascades train. Bike racks are very popular and reservations are required. The cost for reserving space in the bike rack is $5. Bicycle racks will not accommodate tandem, recumbent or other unusual bikes. Such bikes must be transported as checked baggage in a box.

Boxed bicycles do not require a reservation and can be checked as baggage. There is a $10 handling fee for checking a boxed bike. (This is subject to change without notice.) Not all stations have checked baggage service, and baggage service may not be available every day. Don't have a bicycle box? Bicycle boxes are available for purchase for $15 at staffed Amtrak stations with checked baggage service. Bicycles usually must be partially disassembled. For details regarding boxing your bicycle, on general information bringing bicycles onboard, please visit Amtrak.com
Amtrak Cascades - Baggage
I am taken the Amtrak Coast Starlight train from LA, CA to Portland, OR and I like to see Portland, OR
and I am taken LA Metrolink train from Oceanside, CA to LA, CA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.