Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

[OT] Tell us about your good online customer service experiences

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-16, 03:40 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts

We all like to complain about bad experiences with online customer service when there are problems with orders. But how about good experiences ?

Today I had a really good experience with Universal Cycles customer service with an order for six NiteRider tail lights. Two of them were defective, one with a stuck switch and the other with a lens with a broken tab that wouldn't snap in place. I transferred the good lens on the light with the bad switch to the light with the broken lens, so I had 5 good lights and one unusable defective light. I emailed UC customer service with the particulars and within about 30 seconds I received a reply offering to ship another light today. Wow !

This isn't the first time I've gotten great customer service from UC. Another time I bought a seat bag that was supposed to include tire irons with glueless patches, but they were missing. I requested that they send me the tire irons and patches, but instead they sent another bag which included the tire irons and patches.

I've also received great customer service from RG on multiple occasions, including return of items that I ordered in error and RG refunded the full amount, including return shipping.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 06-09-16, 04:11 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
In no particular order:

Retrogression - good prices, knows his stuff.
Bike Tires Direct - good prices, but slow shipping.
Performance - moderately fast shipping, seems to have a lot of out-of-stocks.
Jenson - has about anything imaginable.
eoGear - just discovered this gem, great customer service!

ETA: I've been hitting up ebay more often when I just need a small item (brake pads, etc.)
Old 06-09-16, 04:32 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
competitive cyclist:

-emailed and called me within hours of my order to see if i had questions about sizing. he did not try and sell me anything, just making sure i got the right size. put a discount on my order, and told me to contact him next order if whatever im buying isnt on sale so he can mark it down for me.

acre:

-online ordering form had wrong stock info so one size/color combo i ordered turned out to be out of stock, so i got an email and call on my phone within hours to see what i wanted to do; pick a diff color or refund for the out of stock item. picked the right color and had a followup email/call to make sure things got to me safely and were the correct items.
-ripped a zipper in sedona, sent pics and asked if i could get it repaired. i was prepared to pay for a repair and shipping but they told me it wasnt really repairable, and i can pick whatever color i wanted as a replacement. they let me keep the one with a ripped zipper too.

retrogression:

-out of stock items get upgraded
-scouring internets to find me weird ass parts from all over the place
-emails with curses and jokes
-free party favors with every order

peter white cycles:

-delightful ladies that handle ordering over the phone, let me know one thing was out of stock and let me order it anyway and called me to let me know when it was in stock and shipping
Old 06-09-16, 06:00 PM
Euthyphro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Retrogression for sure: I like that the store is basically curated, so you're pretty likely to get good stuff. I also like the light hearted nature of their operation, from the $10,000 dog (Chiner Vaginer) in the clearance section to the goofy things they ship with your package (like the picture of the bear waving at me placed underneath tires stuffed in the box just right so that the pop out at me when I open the box).

Knog: I had a problem with the rubber strap on a tail light I had bought from them and they sent me a new one right away. They didn't do the annoying thing some brands do where they make you send back the defective item to take advantage of the warranty.

Leader: JUST KIDDING!!! (see what I did there?)
Old 06-09-16, 11:23 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
REI - outstanding customer service regarding my account and points I had earned.

Jenson - always able to answer questions I have in a professional manner, and they never made me feel stupid for asking them. Almost like you were talking to a buddy down at the shop.

Chrome Industries / Chrome Industries Chicago Hub - By far the best customer service I have ever personally had from any company, not just bike related. Chrome's customer service has blown me away with how willing they were to help me find something that pretty much had stopped being made. The guy called every hub store in the country, they managed to locate one in the back room in one of them, and they quickly sent it out to me. They only charged my card once it had shipped. Chicago Hub always is friendly and more than willing to help. On the phone, in store, every single time. One guy spent a good part of an hour helping me pick out the right bag for me, explained the differences in their line, bs'ed with me, and it was a really nice no pressure experience.

Felt Bicycles - Owner of the LBS that sells them made a call to ask a specific question about the wheels on the TK3. They called back, owner called back, they called back again. It took some time, but they made sure to get an exact answer regarding them. He said that it was the best customer experience he had received from them and said they were always good, but went above and beyond how they handled it. They were spot on when the bike showed up. That bike shop makes the list as well, since the owner wanted to ensure that I would be happy with the purchase before I had even paid.
Old 06-05-17, 03:19 PM
bikerinnola

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
REI - outstanding customer service regarding my account and points I had earned.

Jenson - always able to answer questions I have in a professional manner, and they never made me feel stupid for asking them. Almost like you were talking to a buddy down at the shop.

Chrome Industries / Chrome Industries Chicago Hub - By far the best customer service I have ever personally had from any company, not just bike related. Chrome's customer service has blown me away with how willing they were to help me find something that pretty much had stopped being made. The guy called every hub store in the country, they managed to locate one in the back room in one of them, and they quickly sent it out to me. They only charged my card once it had shipped. Chicago Hub always is friendly and more than willing to help. On the phone, in store, every single time. One guy spent a good part of an hour helping me pick out the right bag for me, explained the differences in their line, bs'ed with me, and it was a really nice no pressure experience.

Felt Bicycles - Owner of the LBS that sells them made a call to ask a specific question about the wheels on the TK3. They called back, owner called back, they called back again. It took some time, but they made sure to get an exact answer regarding them. He said that it was the best customer experience he had received from them and said they were always good, but went above and beyond how they handled it. They were spot on when the bike showed up. That bike shop makes the list as well, since the owner wanted to ensure that I would be happy with the purchase before I had even paid.

Not sure how many of us are on this forum, but pedicabers receive a pretty generous discount from chrome industries.
Old 06-05-17, 04:47 PM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ornot - Accidentally ordered the wrong color seat bag. I emailed a few minutes later and then replied to say the color I wanted was out of stock but they found one in the office and it would be heading my way quickly.
Old 06-05-17, 04:48 PM
craquer

Bikes: Escape0, Black Label, Felt York

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Except for ordering a bike from State Bicycle I've only ordered from Canadian companies due to exchange rate/shipping etc. and I've not had any issues except for once:

State Bicycle : ordered a Black Label, no issues, no damage
Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC) : no issues, everything arrived fine
Urbane Cyclist : ordered a bunch of parts/tools, no issues, everything fine
Cycle Path : ordered a couple of times, never any issues
Mariposa : only ordered parts once, no issues

Woodcock Cycle: ordered a NOS 2014 Felt York, I wanted the older version with the two-speed Sturmey-Archer hub. They found one in-stock, shipped it out. Woodcock Cycle is in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and I'm in Ottawa, Ontario, about 2100 KM or 1300 miles away. According to the tracking information IIRC the bike went to Toronto, Ontario, then "somewhere", it looked like it went back to Winnipeg, and eventually a couple of weeks after ordering I received it. I thought it was lost. The box was a bit dented up and there was some light paint damage on the frame but after the initial shipping ordeal I wasn't going to make a fuss about it.
Old 06-05-17, 05:07 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Off topic but I should put in a plug for Apple Support. I downloaded an app called Lock Notes. I used it for a week or so and liked it so I sprung for the pro version for $1.99. Then I went in to settings and tinkered around and clicked on one of the settings that turned out to be a yearly subscription for backups for $9.99. I went to Apple Support and reported the problem. They responded quickly and refunded my money. This weekend I was changing some settings and it got me again! Back to Apple I go, I reported it for the second time and I just got an email that said I was refunded again. I know now how the sleazy app people got me and it won't happen again.
Old 06-05-17, 05:14 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Apple? Never heard of them.
Old 06-05-17, 06:07 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I had super good interactions with RELoad bags and Knog. Those are 2 companies off the top of my head that I had a few problems with and the people who helped me out were nothing but awesome about it. For a bad one I wish I remember'd the site, but I had bought a EAI Bare Knuckle frameset. They emailed me saying the size and color I wanted was "blemished" but they could discount it. So I said okay send me a picture and let me know the discount. It had a huge dent in the top tube that was also scraped down to bare metal and I think they offered me like $30 off or something ridiculous like that.
Old 06-05-17, 07:48 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I had a good experience with JensonUSA. I had ordered a couple tires and some other items on clearance and went on a test ride as soon as they arrived. I discovered one of the tires had a large sidewall tear when I got home. I had only ridden a couple incident free miles around the neighborhood, so I was frustrated about that. The tires were pretty smooth so I called them up to see if they had anymore in stock, chatted with the rep and he offered to replace the tire for free. That was very cool.
Old 06-06-17, 07:27 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
BikeHubStore.com

They seem to have every size imaginable in double-butted spokes (some places only have them in 2mm increments), great pricing and very reasonable shipping rates (free over $100). I ordered spokes, nipples, and bearings. I emailed them to asking them to change the type of nipples; no hassle whatsoever, just invoiced me the for the small difference in price and I had the order two days later.
Old 06-06-17, 12:36 PM
bikehellion

Bikes: Opus(C) *road*, Masi(CrMo) *cx*, Bianchi(Al) *single*, Blue(Al) *track*

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chain Reaction Cycles - They forgot to pack an item, or was lost in shipping... god knows ($30CAD worth). I emailed them, and the item was in my mail within a week. Never had any other issues in last 5 times I ordered stuff.
Old 06-06-17, 09:08 PM
screamtone
This one goes to 11

Bikes: Scott Solace 30, Kona Sutra, Jamis Beatnik, Dahon folder

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll also give praise to Jenson USA. I don't shop there often, but when I do and need help, they've been super responsive and they seem to know their ****. One thing that makes them shine (to me) is their "Gear Advisor" support team. They have actual bike people on hand to help instead of just regular call center staff.

I'll add that I've really only had two bad online bike stuff shopping experiences in the last twelve years, and most online retailers do what they say they are going to IME.
Old 06-06-17, 09:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
Cygolite said they would replace the battery in my tail light and charge me $10 or $15. But when they received my light, they replaced it for free. Cygolite is a really good company, and they make their products in the US of A.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.