Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on mini metro

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Thoughts on mini metro

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-17, 01:35 AM
bikerdude69

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thoughts on mini metro

Hey i would like to know if a Chrome Mini Metro would be a good bag for school. I am a high school student and about to be a junior. I would like to know how much stuff i can fit. I usually carry a binder and a couple of notebooks. I wanna know what you guys think of this bag. I sometimes ride my bike to school also or around just for fun
Old 08-12-17, 03:36 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Would probably work. If it were me, I'd go for a slightly bigger one and get the citizen. Messenger bags feel better when they're not crammed to capacity, so it's nice to have a little extra room to work with.
Old 08-12-17, 09:09 AM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I used a Citizen for a few years. It was a well made bag. I went back to a rack and trunk bag, though, but I still use a backpack when needed.
Old 08-12-17, 09:32 AM
Euthyphro

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a 19L bag (the mission workshop transit laptop bag) and it's perfect for a laptop, iPad mini, pens, notebook, travel mug, and a few other things. You'll probably be able to get everything you need in the mini metro since its 20.5L.

Another option is the Mission Workshop Monty. Roughly the same size, only a little more expensive. I personally like MW bags more than Chrome bags. I own a bunch of Chrome clothing, but their bags always looked a little cheesy to me. I prefer the shape of the MW bags and they don't use the seat belt buckle which to me is a huge plus.
Old 08-12-17, 11:46 AM
bikerdude69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Would probably work. If it were me, I'd go for a slightly bigger one and get the citizen. Messenger bags feel better when they're not crammed to capacity, so it's nice to have a little extra room to work with.
i'm 5'6 and the citizen bag would look huge on me. how tall are you and how did it fit?
Old 08-12-17, 11:47 AM
bikerdude69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
I used a Citizen for a few years. It was a well made bag. I went back to a rack and trunk bag, though, but I still use a backpack when needed.
how tall are you and how did it fit. im 5'6
Old 08-12-17, 11:52 AM
slimracing

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a waterfield vitesse bag which is apparently slightly smaller than the metro mini. I'm same height as you and fits well, holds my 15" laptop and a change of clothes just fine. Could easily add a book or two but it would be stuffed full at that point. It's comfortable even full but I usually throw it in a rear pannier bag anyway out of personal preference.
Old 08-12-17, 07:16 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
A 2 strap bag will definitely be more comfortable if you load a lot of stuff. But that bag would be fine....if you don't carry a lot of stuff, it's pretty tiny. I think the Citizen would be a better bet, you can always carry less but if your bags too small for what you need to bring, you can't make it bigger. This persons 5'7 and they're not swimming in that size. https://imgur.com/a/cdDMj

Last edited by Philasteve; 08-12-17 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-13-17, 12:07 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I would do the exact same thing. I use a Metropolis, but it is not usually jammed pack with stuff. Plenty of room if needed. No bag is comfortable on your back when it is jammed full, especially when the corner of a book or whatever is poking you on every bump.
Old 08-13-17, 05:25 AM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerdude69
how tall are you and how did it fit. im 5'6
I'm short at 5' 2". Yeah, it was big! Like I said, as a commuter 11 months out of the year, it just wasn't for my type of riding. Great bag, would consider them again. But I gotta carry my lunch to work... not a laptop.
Old 08-13-17, 09:43 AM
TenSpeedV2

You can fit your lunch in there. You just have to rethink how you pack it. Take mine in my Metropolis all the time. That and a change of clothes for work rolled up along with other things. Plenty of room, the bag will be big, but there will be a day when you need to take something and you will be glad that you have the extra room. Days where you don't want to wear or carry a jacket and you can just roll it up and put it in there.
Old 08-13-17, 11:34 AM
JeremyLC

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Metropolis is huge. I'm about 5'8" and it wraps around my torso a bit. It's also comfortable when it's full. When I was still riding with mine I usually carried my office clothes, my laptop, my vast array of writing implements and various other small items with plenty of room to spare
. I also have a Citizen, and it's big enough to fit the same set of stuff *snugly*. My preferred bag before either of those was an Ivan rolltop, as backpacks are much better for heavy loads. Now, though, I use a Trash Bags Garbage Truck rolltop. It is much more comfortable than any of my Chrome bags, and it can carry quite a lot. (4-5 Cisco switches was my biggest load, IIRC)

For school, though, unless you need to bring your whole locker home every night, the Citizen will probably be plenty big enough. Just pack the soft, compressible stuff (clothes) so that it's next to your back.
Old 08-13-17, 06:18 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
A messenger bag is a very poor choice for a school/ book bag. Get a backpack 2 straps.

If you insist on getting a Chrome bag, get their bravo. It is designed to be a bookbag for school from the get-go and is definitely one of their underrated bags.
If you can hold out for another half year, they're releasing a barrage pocket backpack which is a cross-over between their bravo and barrage bags to provide the benefits of both cargo capacity and book-bag accessibility.
The mini-metro was actually designed for women to fit their smaller frames. The citizen will fit a 5'6" person very nicely.

Protip: if you even think about carrying your laptop/ tablet in any chrome messenger bag, get a padded sleeve for it!
Their messenger bags have no padding whatsoever aside from the strap.

Also, never pay full price for a Chrome bag. They always have sales where you can stack on additional discounts from their email sign-up coupon.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 08-13-17, 11:05 PM
TenSpeedV2

Dual strap roll tops are great, but they cause me a hell of a blind spot on both sides when I ride with it on. Have a Yalta and a Barrage Pro and the Yalta is terrible with the roll. For comfort, the Metropolis is by far the best bag I have used. It has held up pretty well but is starting to really show its age.
Old 08-13-17, 11:32 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
A messenger bag is a very poor choice for a school/ book bag. Get a backpack 2 straps.
This is kind of a good point actually. I've always liked messenger bags for riding, but they kinda suck for walking around between classes and such.
Old 08-14-17, 08:39 PM
bikerdude69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is kind of a good point actually. I've always liked messenger bags for riding, but they kinda suck for walking around between classes and such.
is because it's heavy or what's the reason?
Old 08-14-17, 08:40 PM
bikerdude69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear

Also, never pay full price for a Chrome bag. They always have sales where you can stack on additional discounts from their email sign-up coupon.
i tried the email thing is doesn't get sent to me
Old 08-14-17, 11:28 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
i tried the email thing is doesn't get sent to me
Try calling their customer service, they like throwing the customer a bone as long as you ask them nicely.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 08-17-17, 09:42 AM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
is because it's heavy or what's the reason?
They're not heavy, but it just puts a lot of stress on 1 shoulder. So the weight of the bag isn't spread across both shoulders, which can be a pain wearing and walking around in one all day. I used one for a few years though, it was the only bag I had so I kind of used it for everything vacations, biking, walking and whatever. But having a 2 strap bag now also, I usually do bring that one if it's not going to rain.