Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Canyon: Endurace CF SLX Disc 8.0 DI2 vs Endurace CF SL Disc 8.0 DI2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-18, 09:18 AM
NTX_Cycler

Bikes: Giant MB (need to determine model)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Endurace CF SLX Disc 8.0 DI2 (https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road/en...x-disc-8-0-di2)
Endurace CF SL Disc 8.0 DI2 (https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road/en...l-disc-8-0-di2)

The SLX has a 820g frame vs the 960g frame of the SL (both are CF)
The same fork is used on both models
The SLX uses the CF H31 Ergocockpit vs AL H17 Ergo
Both use the latest Shimano Ultegra DI2

The SLX uses Reynolds Assault LE Disc Carbon vs DT Swiss E1800 Spline DB
Both use Continental Grand Prix 4000s II

The SLX weighs 7.4kg (med) vs 7.7kg (med) for the SL

The SLX is priced at $4600 USD vs $3500 USD for the SL

I was interested in getting a Specialized Roubaix Expert DI2 (https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...=240084-128894). At $5k, obviously not inexpensive, but I've riden it and like it.

I've been reading reviews of the Canyon in comparison with other Endurance Road bikes and the reviews are very good.

So my challenge is this.

With the Canyon, I can find an LBS to support me when I need it. With Specialized, I know my LBS has these and will support the bike. Fitting of the Roubaix is easy as I can get on one. Based on my reading, fitting of the Canyon shouldn't be that much different as you provide the measurements and based on that, the give you a recommendation. Not being able to hop on a Canyon at an LBS is a challenge, but not really an insurmountable one.

TBH, I'm in LOVE with the Stealth color scheme of the Canyons. The Canyons (to me) have a lot going for it. There is a $400 cost differential between the Roubaix Expert DI2 and the SLX. $1500 cost differential when compared to the SL. Pure economics, it's hard for me to not consider the Canyon as a top contender.

If I were to go Canyon, my decision then would be which one to go with.

From what I can gather from the specs, the SLX has more carbon (wheels, handlebar, and lighter frame). There is an $1100 difference and saving 300g (10.5oz). The SLX with the CF integrated cockpit leaves no room for adjustments. The SL has a more traditional adjustable handlebar.

Is there anything else I should be considering?
Old 02-13-18, 09:41 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by NTX_Cycler
Is there anything else I should be considering?
The first thing I'd consider is whether I'd want to replace the DT Swiss wheelset on the SL version.

If you look around, Assaults (non-LE, whatever that entails) can be had for about that $1100 difference, so the trade-off would be:

- lower upfront cost (add another wheelset whenever) and
- an extra wheelset (which is nice, 'specially when your bike had decent clearance like the Endurace - you can keep more plush tires on the lesser wheelset and more racy tires on the better wheelset)

- but at the expense of a lower-spec frame.

If you're likely to replace the wheels, I'd just do it upfront as long as it's not going to put you out too much financially.
Old 02-13-18, 09:48 AM
NTX_Cycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The first thing I'd consider is whether I'd want to replace the DT Swiss wheelset on the SL version.

If you look around, Assaults (non-LE, whatever that entails) can be had for about that $1100 difference, so the trade-off would be:

- lower upfront cost (add another wheelset whenever) and
- an extra wheelset (which is nice, 'specially when your bike had decent clearance like the Endurace - you can keep more plush tires on the lesser wheelset and more racy tires on the better wheelset)

- but at the expense of a lower-spec frame.

If you're likely to replace the wheels, I'd just do it upfront as long as it's not going to put you out too much financially.

I had not considered the cost of the Reynolds Assault LE. I do like the looks of the Reynolds (purely aesthetics).

I guess the one thing there would still be the integrated cockpit. I'm not sure if I'm one of those that will want to muck with the adjustments in the handlebar.
Old 02-13-18, 09:52 AM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
I don't see the point of the SLX . Any sub 1kg frame feels VERY light. And i like the flexibility of playing with the cockpit in the months to come (may want a more compact drop, forward angle for climbing, modify reach or whatever....)

For the price delta of the SLX you can have an additional set of raceday wheels and/or more personalized kit with your SL. You could find fun ways to make it lighter even. The DT Swiss i believe are 1655g...which is pretty damn good for a disc wheel.

Leaving your $1100 difference to grab the Assaults...or some Boyds...whatever lighter options floats your boat.

Last edited by Esthetic; 02-13-18 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-13-18, 10:15 AM
NTX_Cycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Esthetic
I don't see the point of the SLX . Any sub 1kg frame feels VERY light. And i like the flexibility of playing with the cockpit in the months to come (may want a more compact drop, forward angle for climbing, modify reach or whatever....)

For the price delta of the SLX you can have an additional set of raceday wheels and/or more personalized kit with your SL. You could find fun ways to make it lighter even. The DT Swiss i believe are 1655g...which is pretty damn good for a disc wheel.

Leaving your $1100 difference to grab the Assaults...or some Boyds...whatever lighter options floats your boat.
Thank you. The $1100 also allows me to consider picking up a Wahoo Kickr. I work from home and sometimes during conf calls, I can hop on the bike and get some riding in while I listen in (most calls I am in listen only mode and not participating).

I can pick up another lighter set of wheels/tires later. At this point, anything is lighter than the MTB that I am currently riding. I don't have any plans to race so a 300g weight savings, really isn't that great and at a cost savings of $1100.....I CAN find better ways to spend that money.
Old 02-13-18, 10:30 AM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Thank you. The $1100 also allows me to consider picking up a Wahoo Kickr. I work from home and sometimes during conf calls, I can hop on the bike and get some riding in while I listen in (most calls I am in listen only mode and not participating).

I can pick up another lighter set of wheels/tires later. At this point, anything is lighter than the MTB that I am currently riding. I don't have any plans to race so a 300g weight savings, really isn't that great and at a cost savings of $1100.....I CAN find better ways to spend that money.
Trainer is a good call and more sound use of that budget, you will get more out of owning the bike than a 0.5lb difference for $1100.

AND...when you do pick up some race day wheels...you could slap some 28c (possibly fits up to a 30c/32c) roubaix style or gravel tires on the Splines and now you have yourself an adventure set that can tackle some dirt roads, canal paths etc...and expand your usage scenario.

Last edited by Esthetic; 02-13-18 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-13-18, 11:28 AM
NTX_Cycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just had an opportunity to speak to Canyon. The SL is fully in stock where the SLX is mostly 3-5 weeks out. They keep the SL in stock, but it has been there most popular model and can be described as flying off the shelves. I asked them specifically about the SL and the Specialize Roubaix Expert. He did indicate that the $1500 differential in price is something that most people consider. In addition, there are NO sales tax collected on the sale of the bike. That's HUGE!!!
Old 02-13-18, 12:37 PM
WhyFi

I had not considered the cost of the Reynolds Assault LE. I do like the looks of the Reynolds (purely aesthetics).

I guess the one thing there would still be the integrated cockpit. I'm not sure if I'm one of those that will want to muck with the adjustments in the handlebar.
I have a set of Assault SLG Discs - fun wheelset.

I really don't think that you can go too far wrong with either approach, but if you do go with the SL, which sounds like the more likely possibility, keep that difference earmarked for wheels for a little while. I'm inherently distrustful of stock wheel options and one of the other guys on the forum has already had problems (including a broken spoke) with the same wheels (he has the SL with 105). I don't know whether his results are out of the ordinary, but it's not encouraging.

Trainers are awesome and incredibly helpful for improving fitness... but, compared to a new wheelset, they're on the opposite end of the fun spectrum. All I'll say is just don't go jumping in to the deep end of suffering without first experiencing and getting hooked on the fun bit.
Old 02-21-18, 01:44 PM
Darth Steele

Bikes: 2013 SuperSix Ultegra

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just had an opportunity to speak to Canyon. The SL is fully in stock where the SLX is mostly 3-5 weeks out. They keep the SL in stock, but it has been there most popular model and can be described as flying off the shelves. I asked them specifically about the SL and the Specialize Roubaix Expert. He did indicate that the $1500 differential in price is something that most people consider. In addition, there are NO sales tax collected on the sale of the bike. That's HUGE!!!

can you explain the no sales Tax? is this specific to your state?

I am looking at getting:
https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road/ul...cf-sl-disc-8-0
Old 02-21-18, 01:48 PM
NTX_Cycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Steele

I am looking at getting:
It varies by state. If you live in CA, they WILL definitely have to charge you sales tax. If not CA, you'll have to ask them regarding your state. For TX, there is no Sales Tax collected at the time of sale.
Old 02-21-18, 01:48 PM
WhyFi

I am looking at getting:
They have a sales tax policy page - https://www.canyon.com/en-us/imprint...les-tax-policy

SALES TAX POLICY
CANYON BICYCLES USA, INC. COLLECTS SALES TAX FOR CERTAIN ITEMS SHIPPED TO THE FOLLOWING STATES
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Utah
  • Idaho
  • South Carolina
  • New York
  • Hawaii
  • Pennsylvania
  • Washington
  • North Carolina

The amount of tax charged on your order will depend on the type of item purchased and the destination of the shipment. Certain items may be exempt from sales tax, depending on state and local laws. The sales tax actually charged will be calculated when your order is shipped and will reflect applicable state and local taxes. Factors can sometimes change between the time you place an order and the time of credit card settlement, which could affect the calculation of sales tax. The sales tax amount applied to your order during the checkout process is our best estimate and may differ from the amount ultimately charged. If an item is subject to sales tax in the state to which the order is shipped, tax is generally calculated on the total selling price of each individual item, which can include shipping and handling fees.

If you have questions about the tax applied to your purchase, please contact our Customer Service directly.
Old 02-21-18, 02:06 PM
NTX_Cycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My sales tax is 8.25%. On $3500, that is almost $300 and on $4600, that is almost $370.

I've actually been researching prices for most of the stuff I need to get and almost all of it will be coming from Amazon and 90% of it will not be charged sales tax. About the only thing I will be getting in person is my shoes and that's because I want to try them out in person. A few of the big dollar items will come from CleverTraining using DC Rainmakers discount code. Free shipping, no tax, and a discount. Win/Win
Old 02-21-18, 02:16 PM
NTX_Cycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woot Woot. Just found out my bonus will be paid on the 28th and I'll be ordering my bike at that time. Still haven't decided on SL vs SLX. I am waiting on another opportunity to pan out. If it does, then I'll splurge and get the SLX. I will definitely be posting pics once I get the bike in.
Old 02-21-18, 03:31 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
These bikes are such good performers and even better value. I wish they made something with more tire clearance that's not a cx bike.

140g is less than you'll sweat out during a longer ride and I doubt anyone this side of a regular racer would notice the stiffness difference between the two frames. The frame alone would be hard to justify, but do consider the the much nicer cockpit on the SLX though in addition to the wheels.

Last edited by vinuneuro; 02-21-18 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-21-18, 03:37 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by vinuneuro
These bikes are such good performers and even better value. I wish they made something with more tire clearance that's not a cx bike.
One of the other guys on the forum has an SL Disc 7.0; it can easily clear 32s and he thinks that it'll clear some 35s. I think that's pretty fair amount of clearance in a non-gravel/cx bike.
Old 02-21-18, 03:40 PM
NTX_Cycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

140g is less than you'll sweat out during a longer ride and I doubt anyone this side of a regular racer would notice the stiffness difference between the two frames. The frame alone would be hard to justify, but do consider the the much nicer cockpit on the SLX though in addition to the wheels.
The wheels alone make up the $1100 difference as these wheels aren't even out to the general public and only available on Canyon bikes. Total weight difference between the SL and SLX is 300g. So for $1100 you're getting upgraded wheels, lighter frame / fork, and the integrated cockpit. Plus an option to get the Kerosene Red which I am totally digging right now.
Old 02-21-18, 03:43 PM
vinuneuro

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
One of the other guys on the forum has an SL Disc 7.0; it can easily clear 32s and he thinks that it'll clear some 35s. I think that's pretty fair amount of clearance in a non-gravel/cx bike.
My ideal bike fits 35's with breathing room. Some bikes that fit this mold are my first gen Diverge, current Domane disc, Focus Paralane etc.

Last edited by vinuneuro; 02-21-18 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-21-18, 03:44 PM
vinuneuro

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The wheels alone make up the $1100 difference as these wheels aren't even out to the general public and only available on Canyon bikes. Total weight difference between the SL and SLX is 300g. So for $1100 you're getting upgraded wheels, lighter frame / fork, and the integrated cockpit. Plus an option to get the Kerosene Red which I am totally digging right now.
Yea when you add it all up it does look like it's well worth it (from my point of view).

Love the kerosene red, wish they did more gloss paint schemes.
Old 02-21-18, 04:00 PM
Darth Steele

Bikes: 2013 SuperSix Ultegra

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP..

I would mention that you could skip the Di2 : https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road/en...l-disc-8-0-di2

and purchase this non Di2 version and save $800 : https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road/en...cf-sl-disc-8-0

they are the exact same bike apart from the Di2

and the integrated cockpit has me a little suspect regarding parts in the future.

in 2-3 years upgrade to Sram eTap when the prices drops even more
Old 02-21-18, 04:07 PM
WhyFi

My ideal bike fits 35's with breathing room. Some bikes that fit this mold are my first gen Diverge, current Domane disc, Focus Paralane etc.
Still, 32mm is fair... a little more is better, agreed, and that's why I just picked up that SL 5 Gravel. Finally got in a ride on it the other day - it's gonna be fun.
Old 02-21-18, 04:07 PM
NTX_Cycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP..

I would mention that you could skip the Di2 : https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road/en...l-disc-8-0-di2

and purchase this non Di2 version and save $800 : https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road/en...cf-sl-disc-8-0

they are the exact same bike apart from the Di2

and the integrated cockpit has me a little suspect regarding parts in the future.

in 2-3 years upgrade to Sram eTap when the prices drops even more
I actually want Di2 and not likely to want to upgrade drive train anytime soon. An integrated stem could be swapped out to a traditional stem / handlebar in the future if parts were to become an issue.
Old 02-21-18, 06:28 PM
NTX_Cycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, spoke with Canyon again (confirming a few things since I can order on Wednesday of next week).

I run a 2XS (5'4" with a 27.5" inseam....yes, I'm small). In the SLX, the 2XS is only available in Kerosene Red. It may or may not be available when I order on Wednesday. If not, then I will be ordering an SL in Stealth. It'll be mid-April before they get anymore 2XS in and it won't be many. The SL is definitely the more popular model and they are keeping that fully stocked. The SLX isn't as popular and in 2XS, they can't keep that many in inventory.

If indeed I end up going with an SL, I'll be setting the differential from an SLX aside to pick up a set of Reynolds Assault LE when they become available to the general public.

Last edited by NTX_Cycler; 02-21-18 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-22-18, 01:57 PM
NTX_Cycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ughhh. More not so good news. Talked with Clever Training and the Assioma Duo Power Meter Pedals will be mid march (shipping sometime the week of March 12th) before I would get them in. The Assioma are $720 for a very well reviewed power meter, but I would probably be waiting another week after my bike arrived.
Old 02-23-18, 01:47 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a set of Assault SLG Discs - fun wheelset.

I really don't think that you can go too far wrong with either approach, but if you do go with the SL, which sounds like the more likely possibility, keep that difference earmarked for wheels for a little while. I'm inherently distrustful of stock wheel options and one of the other guys on the forum has already had problems (including a broken spoke) with the same wheels (he has the SL with 105). I don't know whether his results are out of the ordinary, but it's not encouraging.

Generally speaking DT swiss is a highly respected brand. I also have a friend who owns a bike shop and he is always telling me how unreliable the Reynolds wheels are. Based on that, I would save the $1100 bucks here and go with the SL although I think finding a set up wheels much better than the DT Swiss 1800's is going to be hard for $1100. Mavic Kyserium Pro UST disks are about the same weight as the DT Swiss and cost that $1100 difference although with the tubeless Yksion tires included. Boyds are going to run $1500 for a wheel set or thereabouts.

Back to the OP: Also although my Canyon aeroad has the integrated stem and bar and I like it because it fits me, unless you are 100% certain on the fit, the separate bar stem on the SL makes a lot of sense because you can more cheaply change out the stem than buying a whole set of bars and stem or buying a different combo one. Last I talked with Canyon, they still were not allowing swap outs of the bar and stem at least not on the front end. You may be able to get them to swap for a difference size on the back end after you've taken delivery though. I would check with them on that either way.
Old 02-23-18, 01:56 PM
NTX_Cycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jitteringjr
Generally speaking DT swiss is a highly respected brand. I also have a friend who owns a bike shop and he is always telling me how unreliable the Reynolds wheels are. Based on that, I would save the $1100 bucks here and go with the SL although I think finding a set up wheels much better than the DT Swiss 1800's is going to be hard for $1100. Mavic Kyserium Pro UST disks are about the same weight as the DT Swiss and cost that $1100 difference although with the tubeless Yksion tires included. Boyds are going to run $1500 for a wheel set or thereabouts.

Back to the OP: Also although my Canyon aeroad has the integrated stem and bar and I like it because it fits me, unless you are 100% certain on the fit, the separate bar stem on the SL makes a lot of sense because you can more cheaply change out the stem than buying a whole set of bars and stem or buying a different combo one. Last I talked with Canyon, they still were not allowing swap outs of the bar and stem at least not on the front end. You may be able to get them to swap for a difference size on the back end after you've taken delivery though. I would check with them on that either way.
My choice of SL/SLX may be moot. I'll be ordering on Wednesday and at this time, the SLX in 2XS is only available in Kerosene Red (which I'm definitely not opposed to). If that inventory is gone, I'll be mid-April before I have any opportunity to buy an SLX in my size. The SL is definitely in stock.

The ability to make adjustments on the SL handlebar is something I am taking into serious consideration. If I go SL, I've already set the money aside to get a Wahoo Kickr. I'll have additional funds aside (mid-term) to pick up another set of wheels, but TBH, I can afford to wait a little while on those.

The practical side of me is leaning towards the SL. But I'll be honest, there are moments when the not so practical side of me wins out. We'll see what kind of mood I'm in on Wednesday when I order. I also have a job interview on Monday that may significantly sway that decision as this new posting will come with a 20% pay increase.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.