Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2017 Roubaix

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2017 Roubaix

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-19, 09:52 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
2017 Roubaix SL4 Sport

I’m in the market for a bike to replace my Bianchi Virata bought new in about 1993. It’s been great but it’s time to get into a modern bike with more relaxed geometry, brifters and 11 speeds. A LBS has a brand new 2017 SL4 Sport for under $1500.00. It seems like a good price and I can see nothing negative about the bike. It’s my size and I like the colors.

Just asking for for any input from the collective wisdom here. I’ve been looking at Domane’s too but can’t find any NOS.

Last, what mods would you make that would total under $300.00? I will take the Sella Italia seat off the Bianchi and put it on the new bike. Better tires and tape as well. Anything else?

(I have edited the title and post to note the specific Roubaix model).

Last edited by MSchott; 01-16-19 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-15-19, 08:09 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Perhaps best not to consider upgrades until after you get the bike. Btw, I end up changing everything on my bikes so understand the urge.

To me, the SL4 is the last of the great Mohicans when it comes to the Roubaix. I own the SL3 Pro and the best overall bike I have owned and not convinced overall the new R3 I just bought is a better bike...the SL3 is that good.

Specialized took the SL4 in the direction of more race bike by mostly stiffening up the rear triangle. Me personally and again because a few Future Shock Roubaix owners on this forum, I would choose the SL4 over a Future Shock bike everyday. But I don't like the floating front end or the maintenance issue with the FS and I do all my own wrenching.

Check to see what carbon fiber modulus it has. If it is 10r, I say get the bike because it will be both light and stiff and check all the boxes you mention. Even fractionally softer flex 9r...they add section modulus to restore stiffness at the detriment of a very slight weight penalty...shouldn't keep you from choosing that bike. Btw, color matters. You have to like looking at the bike.

Believe you will love it. Btw, to me, the pure race bike versus racy endurance bike line is largely a myth. All I do is ride with guys on slammed race bikes and the Roubaix is up to the challenge. You will have no regrets IMO.
Old 01-15-19, 09:14 AM
MSchott

I should have mentioned it’s the SL4 Sport which means 8r modulus in the frame.
Old 01-15-19, 09:23 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Don't want to throw 8r under the bus. It is the lowest modulus carbon Specialized uses. Likely in a blind test a rider would be hard pressed to tell the difference.
But it will be a bit heavier than a 10r bike for example of the same geometry. Generally geometry trumps carbon modulus but modulus matters mostly relative to weight. What designers do to compensate for lower modulus carbon is increase wall thickness to restore stiffness. This has a weight cost.
Me personally, if buying a SL4 Roubaix, I would seek 10 or 11r...11r being the S-works model.
But, if not your plan to competitive group ride for example, 8r should be fine.
Old 01-15-19, 09:33 AM
MSchott

Thank you so much for your help and insight! I ride mainly for fitness and pleasure. Few of my rides are in a group and I don’t race.
Old 01-15-19, 02:14 PM
vtje

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have ridden both Sport r8 and Pro r10 level 2017 frames with exactly the same rest of the components and the difference are day and night.
I could not believe the difference in feel, stiffness and control.
Considering you can stretch to a higher level frame, I would not even consider r8
Old 01-15-19, 03:16 PM
MSchott

Originally Posted by vtje
I have ridden both Sport r8 and Pro r10 level 2017 frames with exactly the same rest of the components and the difference are day and night.
Considering you can stretch to a higher level frame, I would not even consider r8
What do you mean I can stretch to a higher level frame? Financially? I did not mention my budget.
Old 01-15-19, 04:05 PM
vtje

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott

What do you mean I can stretch to a higher level frame? Financially? I did not mention my budget.
True, you did mention the bike in question price though, so I was referring to that
Old 01-15-19, 07:40 PM
MSchott

True, you did mention the bike in question price though, so I was referring to that
Sorry, I have no idea what you mean. Are you saying I can get an equivalent spec Roubaix with r10 for $1500.00? Thats the Roubaix Comp, a $3000.00+ bike. That’s hard to imagine.

Last edited by MSchott; 01-15-19 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-16-19, 03:34 PM
Baetis

Bikes: SL4 S-Works, Ibis Mojo 3, Kona Sutra Ltd

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have an S-Works SL4 I bought two years ago. Sooooo comfortable. I came off an Orbea Orca. The SL4 feels like butter in comparison. No more buzzing hands (almost nothing but chip seal around here) climbs well, descends even better. When you stand on it it gets up and goes!
Old 01-16-19, 04:15 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Old 01-17-19, 11:45 AM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Perhaps best not to consider upgrades until after you get the bike. Btw, I end up changing everything on my bikes so understand the urge.

To me, the SL4 is the last of the great Mohicans when it comes to the Roubaix. I own the SL3 Pro and the best overall bike I have owned and not convinced overall the new R3 I just bought is a better bike...the SL3 is that good.

Specialized took the SL4 in the direction of more race bike by mostly stiffening up the rear triangle. Me personally and again because a few Future Shock Roubaix owners on this forum, I would choose the SL4 over a Future Shock bike everyday. But I don't like the floating front end or the maintenance issue with the FS and I do all my own wrenching.

Check to see what carbon fiber modulus it has. If it is 10r, I say get the bike because it will be both light and stiff and check all the boxes you mention. Even fractionally softer flex 9r...they add section modulus to restore stiffness at the detriment of a very slight weight penalty...shouldn't keep you from choosing that bike. Btw, color matters. You have to like looking at the bike.

Believe you will love it. Btw, to me, the pure race bike versus racy endurance bike line is largely a myth. All I do is ride with guys on slammed race bikes and the Roubaix is up to the challenge. You will have no regrets IMO.
This is a good review. I own a 2016 SL4 Pro Disc. It's a really really good bike. I have done every kind of ride under the sun and never had any issues. I do the fastest group rides in the area and that bike just hangs with S-Works Tarmacs and such (if you have legs). Climbs well, good cornering. I'd say go for it.
Old 03-15-19, 07:20 PM
MSchott

Went back and looked at this bike again as the weather here is finally starting to break. The frame is r10 as is the fork. It was cool and rainy today so not test ride but hopefully next week it will warm and bit and be dry. It seems just right for me if it fits. Retail was $2K and they are asking $1440.00. I'd like to have them change the tires to the Continental GP4000's I bought last season (about 400 miles on these) and install my pedals and Sella Flite seat I can't imagine this would be an issue at no charge.
Old 03-16-19, 09:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott
Went back and looked at this bike again as the weather here is finally starting to break. The frame is r10 as is the fork. It was cool and rainy today so not test ride but hopefully next week it will warm and bit and be dry. It seems just right for me if it fits. Retail was $2K and they are asking $1440.00. I'd like to have them change the tires to the Continental GP4000's I bought last season (about 400 miles on these) and install my pedals and Sella Flite seat I can't imagine this would be an issue at no charge.
and if it is an issue, just change the tires, pedals, and saddle yourself since its just a couple tires, pedals, and a saddle.
Old 03-17-19, 01:30 AM
MSchott

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
and if it is an issue, just change the tires, pedals, and saddle yourself since its just a couple tires, pedals, and a saddle.
Good point. I am capable of doing all of that myself.