Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What looks like 7S Uniglide cassette last sprocket does not thread on

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-24, 04:04 PM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts

I spent today (it was just still too cold to ride) sorting through my bin of 50+ cassettes trying to ID and tag everything.

but one has me stumped.

it looks like a 7S Uniglide cassette.
and all the cogs 1-6 slot onto a Shimano Freehub body nicely. (I tried on that has the threaded last section)
but the last threaded cog does not thread on.
(and I think all these pieces were wired together in a bundle so presumably they came off some wheel as a set)

now comparing this threaded cog (the shinier one in the photos) to another one i have their ID are different. the troublesome one is about 31mm and the other one - which does thread on - is about 34mm

was there some hub with a smaller OD threaded section?

or might I have mixed a Freewheel cog in with these Freehub cassette parts?

​​
Old 03-29-24, 04:19 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
Dura ace uniglide used a 32 threaded end sprocket. Other models used 34.6 (?).
Likes For KCT1986:
Old 03-29-24, 04:22 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 279 Posts
Small threaded cog is probably Dura-Ace made with a smaller diameter to allow for a 12t cog. But this looks like a 6 speeder, and the built-in spacer may be too thick to properly index with 7-speeds
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 03-29-24, 06:15 PM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

that would explain things.
thank you.
Old 03-29-24, 07:28 PM
pstock

but would the entire Dura Ace Uniglide FH body have been a smaller diameter? or just the last threaded bit?

because my cogs 1-6 fit onto a standard hyperglide FH body.
if the DA uniglide cogs were all smaller then maybe I have somehow mixed up a standard uniglide cassette with a DA end cog.

Hmmm, reading up it sounds as if only the threaded section was smaller.

But also odd - my apparently DA sized end cog is a 14T which seems unusual if the point of the smaller DA cog was to permit an 11T .
(and the biggest cog is 30T which seems VERY big for DA but they are all the same colour and condition so I think they were a set.)

Last edited by pstock; 03-29-24 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-29-24, 07:51 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
Here's how the DA freehub looks. Smaller threaded portion, splined portion the same as all other UG, (and later HG, except for the wide/narrow splines that HG used for 'shift point' alignment(.

Likes For KCT1986:
Old 03-29-24, 08:04 PM
pstock

accckk.
and I actually found the wheel (among my 50+ wheelsets that have piled up over the years) that this cassette must have come off if.

I would say What A Dope but it has probably been 15 + years since they were separated
it's quite exciting to put these two back together again.
not only have a resolved a parts mystery (to me) but I now have a functional and highly practical 7S 14-30 vintage rear wheel . none of my other vintage wheelsets have has low a range. this could be a game changer for my weary legs.

Last edited by pstock; 03-29-24 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-30-24, 02:20 AM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by pstock
accckk.
and I actually found the wheel (among my 50+ wheelsets that have piled up over the years) that this cassette must have come off if.

I hope you plan to keep all of that together. Usable Dura-Ace Uniglide cogs are rare nowadays and 14-tooth first-position cogs were rare back when they were new.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..