Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Need a ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 09:30 PM
garagedude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need a ride

Hi, I'm re-starting my riding hobby. I've owned Alluminum and Carbon Fiber bikes in the past. What bikes stand out as a good value in riding. I'm wanting alluminum probably and of course the lighter the better. I could go with carbon fiber but I'm leaning towards the softer ride, altho when I get back in shape I'll want a somewhat fast bike. I'm hoping that even at 50+ I can still ride with some performance. I noted an add for an online site...www.bikesdirect.com...is this a good place to start. they have bikes I've never heard of before..? Any ideas would be helpful......... .garagedude
Old 01-30-07, 10:06 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,331 Times in 837 Posts
There is no single right answer; so much depends on personal preference. Whatever you buy, make sure it fits you as perfectly as possible. Lightweight rims and tires will have far more impact on your acceleration than minor differences in frame weight, so don't get too hung up on "the lighter the better." (At 10 kg, my Bianchi was light in its day, but definitely heavy by today's standards, but it has lasted 25 years so far and is probably good for another 25.)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-30-07, 11:13 PM
Stevie47

Bikes: Waterford, Orbea, Giant

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Id say it's time to go out and meet the local bike shops. Dont go into any one with the idea of buying but more just checking them out. You'll probably find some of them not particularly helpful but perservere and you will find one which tells you the things you want to hear. That's where you'll start learning about what's out there and what will suit you the best. Once you narrow down your choices then buying the bike is pretty easy, online or in person. Personally, I'm a big fan of carbonfiber! Have fun!
Old 01-31-07, 02:45 AM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not sure I'd buy online if I were just starting out. A good local shop will take time to answer your questions and make sure you have a bike that fits, and they'll make the various tweaks your bike requires as you dial in your needs and preferences. If you find such a shop, supporting it with your business is a good investment for all sorts of reasons.
Old 01-31-07, 11:27 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackberry
I'm not sure I'd buy online if I were just starting out. A good local shop will take time to answer your questions and make sure you have a bike that fits, and they'll make the various tweaks your bike requires as you dial in your needs and preferences. If you find such a shop, supporting it with your business is a good investment for all sorts of reasons.

Choose the shop correctly and you won't go online EVER.

My LBS does me a very good deal on everything I buy. I go online to find the item I want- Just to make the choice between the different units available , and go back to the shop with my suggestion of what I want and the price. They normally match or come somewheere near the price- Or even tell me if I am going for the wrong manufacturer.

I would suggest looking for the right shop though as there are a few that do not have the knowledge, expertise or honesty to sell you the right bike for you. As you have already thought about the next bike- Why not go to a shop and get a respectable bike initially - without going top rate. Then you will have a better idea on what you really want.

I went to a road bike last year, as an alternative to getting muddy on my night rides. I got a Giant but got the basic model in the range. My reckoning was that it would see me through the first year or so- and I would sort out from this- the mistakes not to make on the next bike. As far as I am concerned- this bike is good enough for me and all I want to get is a better, lighter wheelset.

By the way- This is an aluminium bike and I am surprised at the ride quality of it.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-31-07, 01:36 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by garagedude
I noted an ad for an online site...www.bikesdirect.com...is this a good place to start. they have bikes I've never heard of before..?
I saw Motobecane, Dawes, Mercier, Windsor, big brands in the seventies, though Windsor suffered from being made in Mexico.
Old 01-31-07, 05:32 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by garagedude
Hi, I'm re-starting my riding hobby. I've owned Alluminum and Carbon Fiber bikes in the past. What bikes stand out as a good value in riding. I'm wanting alluminum probably and of course the lighter the better. I could go with carbon fiber but I'm leaning towards the softer ride, altho when I get back in shape I'll want a somewhat fast bike. I'm hoping that even at 50+ I can still ride with some performance. I noted an add for an online site...www.bikesdirect.com...is this a good place to start. they have bikes I've never heard of before..? Any ideas would be helpful......... .garagedude
Buy a 1981thru 1983 Trek 600, 610, 620, 630, 0r 640 (all the same frame) and build it up yourself. Supple ride, good handling, lot's of life left in them. Look your age with pride! Do not go gentle into that good night (wait a minnit, didn't we do that one not too long ago?)!

Road Fan
Old 01-31-07, 07:34 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
With a little time on the road and the right "training", I think you will be surprised at how well you will be riding. Thus your performance will be much better than you might expect. It most likely will not be terrific right out of the gate but give it a little time. That being said, go ahead and dive in with a nicer bike. You're going to be lusting for that in a year or so anyway.........
Old 01-31-07, 08:12 PM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Buy a 1981thru 1983 Trek 600, 610, 620, 630, 0r 640 (all the same frame) and build it up yourself. Supple ride, good handling, lot's of life left in them. Look your age with pride! Do not go gentle into that good night (wait a minnit, didn't we do that one not too long ago?)!

Road Fan
I can second that opinion from personal experience. I have a Trek 620, which I bought new in 1983. I'm not particularly materialistic, but I actually love this bike. It has brought me 23 years of cycling joy. What a bike!
Old 02-01-07, 06:02 PM
garagedude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheel Choice

What wheel/tire combinations should I stay away from. I've never owned sew-ups. When I rode I always liked the 23c tires. I think they were Michelin tires and they seemed to roll good and didn't have too many flats. Its a bummer having a flat on your way to work. When I had them my rims were what came with the bike. It weighed around 23 lbs. with an areo bar. Any tips on rim/tires would be helpful. Thanks...garagedude