Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Lexus E bike.

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Lexus E bike.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-09, 07:33 PM
Mabman

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lexus E bike.

Disappointing performance wise due to adherence to Japanese regs but you have to think that perhaps there is an override on it somewhere? Oh well, it looks fast but sidepull brakes are a joke on there but probably sufficient to slow it down from 20 mph no problem. I doubt it will be cheap either. They allude to Yamaha's involvement with the concept and also Honda had some motorized bikes at the same show.

https://www.gizmag.com/lexus-hb-electric-bicycle/13175/
Old 10-28-09, 07:29 AM
BroadwayJoe
Both Coasts...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been thinking of adding a front hub motor to my Panasonic pedelec system - give it a little more oomph. Mine is a 250W crank motor but the gearing is mainly where Japan limited top speed. I went from 20 to 16 teeth rear sprocket and now it gets up to between 15-20mph.

I used to be a Disc brake only guy but experience has taught me that side or center pull V brakes are just fine for most eBikes.

eBikes shouldn't be going over 20-25 mph anyway and if they do - they're motorcycles and should be equipped accordingly with proper frame, wheels, brakes, tires, lighting, MSF training, etc.

Cool too see the big companies get into this - it's coming. Closer everyday!
Old 10-28-09, 11:10 AM
Zephyr Boy
California dreaming...

Bikes: a cheapie-GreenLine-BC-706 Men Shimano Tourney 7-Speed (Flat Black) Beach Cruiser-no stickers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm confused about what does "Japanese regs" mean? By the way, it's a cool, artsy looking bike.
Old 10-28-09, 11:11 AM
Mabman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no beef with the top speed issue, although I think from personal experience that 30 top is more real world, for me anyway. But like your issue of performance with the 250w Panasonic it is how fast it takes to get you there. My favorite feature of motor assist in the urban environment is the ability to snap off the line and get across intersections easily even while loaded down. Also pulling the steeper sections of road with enough oomph to make it worthwhile carrying the extra weight of an assist system up with me.

Bikes like the Lexus are all well and good, just like the Tesla is in the car world. But I would like to see more effort put towards products that are affordable so that they get out to more end users ASAP.
Old 10-28-09, 10:33 PM
RayB

Bikes: Civia Bryant, Tern Eclipse UNO, Brompton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zephyr Boy
I'm confused about what does "Japanese regs" mean? By the way, it's a cool, artsy looking bike.
I think he is referring to our strict laws here for ebikes. They are very common but gutless and must only work when you peddle.
Old 11-01-09, 09:31 PM
Mabman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://pedelec.com/taipei/lectures/pdf/Japan.pdf Although I think these regs were recently modified somewhat but not in regards to wattage. But they remain popular there apparently because they are not considered to be motor vehicles and skirt traffic regs for now. https://www.electricbikee.com/japanes...f-regulations/

Euro regs are pretty much the same, that is why Trek's new offering is adhering strictly to remain within those laws as they probably will target that market heavily due to e-bike popularity already established there.