Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

New to Triathlon...and a bit intimidated

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-12, 07:19 PM
Str8himalaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm planning on participating in my first triathlon on August 11th, and after seeing some times and my experience level, I am a little intimidated. First, I would like to give a bit of my background. I was a decent athlete in high school, but never a strong runner, and never really got on a bike a lot. Swam on a swim team for years before high school, so I am least a decent swimmer. I'm 26, and about a year an a half ago, I measured 5'10" and 260 pounds. I had gained a massive amount of weight over the last 4 years or so due to a high demand job, and poor diet and activity. Last January, I decided I had to make a change, and over the course of the last year and a half, I am down to 185 pounds. I have really changed my lifestyle, especially in my diet. I regularly run anywhere between 20-25 miles a week, usually around a 8:30 pace. I am not well versed on a bike, and I havent swam in years. My question is, am I in over my head for a sprint triathlon when I am just now starting to train on a bike and swimming? I really dont want to embarrass myself, but I was aiming for a 1:30 total time, is that obtainable from what you can tell? I know it is kinda hard to tell without knowing what my splits are, but some input may help. Thank you for all your help in advance!
Old 06-24-12, 06:40 PM
KoNP

Bikes: BMC SL02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the hardest part of a sprint tri is the swim, if you were a good swimmer once upon a time you should be fine. Id maybe try to get in the pool a little bit before just to get your stroke back.

my first tri i had been riding for about a year and the first time i ever swam a lap in a pool was about a month before. I ended my first tri at 1:32 that that was "running" a 10:20 mile pace
Old 06-26-12, 12:22 PM
budha1300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you know you can complete each distance for each discipline and you know how long it takes to do each and when you add it up (plus trans times) it's roughly 1:30, then you should be fine as long as you train properly from this point on (meaning don't do anything that will screw up your fitness). All that other stuff you mentioned shouldn't really hold you back. Now if you're looking for improvements on splits in a little over a month, I would be careful not to cram too much in. If you know your endurance base is good, then focus on shorter speed oriented workouts.
Old 06-26-12, 01:06 PM
Jsiegs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're confident you won't drown or panic in open water, you'll be just fine. Don't sweat your first race. You won't be first but you won't be last.
Old 06-29-12, 07:46 AM
socialtri

Bikes: 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't worry! The majority of us feel intimidated to start with, you will be fine, we all need that initial target to spur us into action! Sounds like your swim will be fine just get into the water before the race and regain your 'feel' for the water again. If it's open water then try to get a few practice session in before the event also. Your run pace is fine also (similar to mine) and I've never come last! Try to get out on the bike a couple of times a week a bit of practice will really help and on the day concentrate on your own ride and don't worry about anyone else is doing. Good luck and let us know how you get on!