Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Recently started losing appetite

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-13, 07:40 PM
cicatrize

Bikes: 2016 Emonda ALR 5, 2014 Trek 7.2 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've done some googleing about this subject and it seems that if you're losing your appetite after cardio, you're working yourself too hard. However, I'm only riding about 10mi a day, sometimes 20, and I take a day off here and there. I've found myself for the past week or so eating about half that of my normal portions, and it's starting to worry me. I keep losing weight...it has slowed down the past 2 weeks considerably, but I don't think I should be losing any more. I expected to gain a little from muscle mass in my legs by now. I don't count my calories, but if I had to guess, I might be taking in about 1500-1800 calories per day. I rarely eat breakfast, but still, before doing all this cycling, I could easily consume about 3000 calories in a day. The odd thing is that as of a couple weeks ago, a 20mi ride would leave me very hungry, and I could eat nearly double my normal portions. Now it's half? I don't get it.

I'm worried my body is trying to tell me something, but I have no idea wth it is. Am I unhealthy? Am I really working myself too hard?

EDIT: Also, a note: I've tried to just power through and eat how I normally eat, and it makes me feel sick when I do that.

Last edited by cicatrize; 08-14-13 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-14-13, 10:22 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
What are you eating? What sorts of things and in what quantities? It could be that you just need to eat different stuff. You should eat breakfast - very important. Some say it's the most important meal of the day. It's normal not to be hungry immediately after exercise, but you should feel some appetite a couple hours later.
Old 08-14-13, 10:54 PM
blackvans1234

Bikes: '13 Specialized Secteur Compact

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only time you're working yourself too hard is when you have to stop riding to vomit for a minute

I have noticed my appetite after some rides is decreased. However I don't have any concerns about losing too much weight, as I weigh 195lbs.
Old 08-15-13, 07:10 AM
cicatrize

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
What are you eating? What sorts of things and in what quantities? It could be that you just need to eat different stuff. You should eat breakfast - very important. Some say it's the most important meal of the day. It's normal not to be hungry immediately after exercise, but you should feel some appetite a couple hours later.
Everything from turkey sandwiches to hibachi to chicken wings to pizza. I eat a broad range of foods. Yesterday, I wasn't even hungry for lunch until about 3pm, and when I ate (wings), 5 of them was enough and I was full. I wasn't hungry all night either. I forced myself to eat some cheese to get some dairy, and had some crackers and a beef stick. That was dinner. Yesterday was the lowest calorie intake day I think I've had.

Originally Posted by blackvans1234
I have noticed my appetite after some rides is decreased. However I don't have any concerns about losing too much weight, as I weigh 195lbs.
I'm 187 and it's still going down. I'm 6'3". That's a little alarming to me. I was starting to feel good until this loss of appetite.
Old 08-15-13, 07:36 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I would advise to cover your bases and see a doctor soon. Any sudden weight loss can be a sign of several sicknesses or conditions. Try and catch it early by talking it over with the doc and getting some tests run. The trouble is by the time something rears it's ugly head and makes itself known in an obvious fashion it is usually more difficult to treat then if you caught it early. Better safe than sorry.

At your height and weight you are approaching or passed the midpoint of what most BMI charts consider the ideal weight. Please watch it and consider seeking medical advise.
Old 08-15-13, 09:42 AM
cicatrize

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rootman
I would advise to cover your bases and see a doctor soon. Any sudden weight loss can be a sign of several sicknesses or conditions. Try and catch it early by talking it over with the doc and getting some tests run. The trouble is by the time something rears it's ugly head and makes itself known in an obvious fashion it is usually more difficult to treat then if you caught it early. Better safe than sorry.

At your height and weight you are approaching or passed the midpoint of what most BMI charts consider the ideal weight. Please watch it and consider seeking medical advise.
It probably is a good idea to go to the doc just to be safe, I guess. I've never had weight loss this fast in my life, but I didn't start losing weight until I started cycling (I've never been one to exercise). I shed 13 lbs in a little over a month, so I'm wondering if my body's just not used to it yet. I checked some charts and it looks like I'm safely in the middle of the ideal weight for my height (which is closer to 6'4", but I don't round up). But yes, better safe than sorry.
Old 08-15-13, 04:30 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Don't see anything like enough carbs in there. But yes, see a doctor.
Old 08-18-13, 10:11 AM
mike12
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have the unwanted weight loss issue and am new to cycling, but after a hard workout of over 2 hours I'm really not hungry at all. Then about 4-6 hours after the workout I'm terribly hungry & eat way to much. From what I've read you need to try to replace the calories right after the workout in order to not eat too much later on.

Does this happen to other folks?
Old 08-18-13, 06:49 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

^ Yup.
Old 08-19-13, 01:27 PM