Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo 10 speed cassette query

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-13, 07:13 PM
Rest_assured

Bikes: '93 Cadex CFM3, '84 Repco Nishiki Olympic 12,'87 Peugeot Montblanc, '09 Giant Trance X1, '13 De Rosa R838

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all.
Picked up some parts from a man, and he threw this in (excuse the poor photography)

It is a Campy 10 speed cassette (11-23).
My knowledge of campy freehubs and cassettes is clearly limited. When i got home, i realised that this cassette is missing a... small black thing (pawl?)

At least i'm assuming there are meant to be 3.
Is this salvageable? is it worth salvaging and perhaps selling? Does Campagnolo sell these parts aftermarket? Is it functional with 2 out of 3 'small black things'?
Thanks in advance
Old 09-15-13, 08:39 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your cassette is still attached to the freehub shell, which is supposed to be attached to the hub. You need a lock ring tool and probably a chainwhip or some other way to hold the cassette stationary while you unscrew the lockring. Once it's apart you'll have the cassette and freehub shell to do with what you like (the missing pawl is easily replaceable).
Old 09-16-13, 01:44 AM
Rest_assured

Bikes: '93 Cadex CFM3, '84 Repco Nishiki Olympic 12,'87 Peugeot Montblanc, '09 Giant Trance X1, '13 De Rosa R838

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onespeedbiker
Your cassette is still attached to the freehub shell, which is supposed to be attached to the hub. You need a lock ring tool and probably a chainwhip or some other way to hold the cassette stationary while you unscrew the lockring. Once it's apart you'll have the cassette and freehub shell to do with what you like (the missing pawl is easily replaceable).
Ah it all makes sense now. Shows how much I know about campy haha, i thought all their cassettes came like that. I wondered why the pawls were exposed. Thanks mate, much appreciated.
Old 09-16-13, 01:50 AM
Zef

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pawls can be easily found online. Look at the design of the two still present to be sure you purchase the correct design. Here is the result of a quick search on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...agnolo%20pawls

Looks to be a Chorus or Record cassette per the largest 4 cogs mounted to carriers.

-j