Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

All in a days ride ... day 2

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-14, 02:55 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts

Today is a ride, 17.6 miles along the Okanagan Valley with my wife. Nothing quite as entertaining as yesterdays ride and certainly not the hill climb (although she's ridden yesterday's ride before - it's not her favorite). Average speed, well let's just say it was a pleasant 2 hour ride.

The ride begins again cycling thru the orchards and vineyards, with a small climb to views over the lake and valley.

This photo is for those who after seeing the photo from Day 1 still find it hard to imagine a desert in Canada. If you look up the definition of desert, it's defining by the annual precipitation, not necessarily the blistering heat that you'll experience in Arizona and California, although we will occaisionally have 100+F days in the summer.

What the marketing types won't think of next to get you to part with your money.

This is where learning to ride in a straight line becomes important. This bridge has a wood deck and some of the gaps between the boards are just wide enough to take your wheel and swallow it.

I've posted a photo from this location previously. I still find the sign interesting, although I've yet to see a Turtle.

For many of you this next photo won't seem like anything much. For around here it's about as far back in history as you'll find. I didn't take a photo of the barn across the road - I'm told by the locals that it's inhabited by unfriendly snakes and spiders. Perhaps to keep the curious out, however we do have several varieties of snakes and black widow spiders. Seen them both much too close.

If you like a challenge, trying riding across one of these. I've seen guys on road bikes do it, both riding the skinny bars and hopping or jumping the entire gate. As my wife is constantly reminding me - "p-r-e-v-e-n-t-a-b-l-e". I won't ride them, not because of my wife's reminders, but because I want to ride again tomorrow.

EDIT: SOMETIMES I WONDER HOW I CAN POST THE WRONG PICTURE. THE ONE BELOW IS CORRECT.

Continued ...

Last edited by h2oxtc; 06-02-14 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-01-14, 03:03 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I just love the views along this ride - both out and back.

Home made preserves and honey for sale.

For all the times that I've ridden along this road, I've never seen this before. Looks like everyone is trying to get in on the "biggest chair" theme. This one belongs to a seniors home.

Aptly named, The Little Brown Church.

Every now and again you have to stop and smell the roses. I stopped to talk with the homeowner who's entire street front was planted with various colors of roses.

Post ride recovery - assuming such was required - a few minutes relaxing by the lake.

Hope you enjoyed following along the ride. It was a pleasant weekend away - back to the city tonight.
Old 06-01-14, 03:15 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Very nice pics. Reminds me of some of the sight we saw on our trip (by car) thru Washington and Oregon a few years ago.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-01-14, 03:59 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Lovely!

Old 06-02-14, 11:11 AM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek