Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cassette question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cassette question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-20, 04:05 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Measuring over 3 feet as Bill Kapaun suggests is great, if it is convenient to remove your chain from the bike, but one should be able to measure to 1/16" accurately with a good 15- or 18-inch steel rule. Here is an inexpensive set with a 15-incher: https://smile.amazon.com/eBoot-Stain.../dp/B071H4XCDW
Just use a 12" ruler and measure over 11". The extra 0.005 inches (0.05%) isn't perceptible or significant.
Old 03-31-20, 10:41 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewJB
As a general guide...When your chain ring looks like this...you might want to think about replacing it...
This was on a 2008 Trek 2.3 I bought at a garage sale several years back. Couldn't get around the block without the chain coming off.
I could have just replaced the ring, but decided to replace the 105 BB & Crank with new Ultegra BB & Crankset.

your chainring doesn't look particularly worn to me,

but the FD could be several mm lower for good shifting.