Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Fast guys putting in high miles: What saddle do you like?

Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Old 03-28-20, 08:46 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts

I'm 54, can hang with all but the fastest riders, regardless of age, in good training programs, and do many long days in the saddle. I transitioned to a new bike this year that I had specced with a Fizik Antares R1 Versus EVO saddle which has turned into torture. It's lite (185g in 145mm wide), its shape and width seems right, but it kills my sit bones. I just did a two hour climb this morning and can barely sit down right now. I've put 1,000 miles on this saddle at this point, and it's not getting better.

What saddles work for you hammer hounds who put in a lot of time in the saddle? Thanks.
Old 04-06-20, 12:26 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Specialized Power saddle ---- with the caveat that it is a "love it or hate it" saddle for most
Likes For DMC707:
Old 04-06-20, 12:39 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Fizik Arione. Haven't used anything other in 10+ years. The length allows me more fore and aft positions to adjust to the gradient of the road. It has good padding and it is made well with durable leather.
Likes For hrdknox1:
Old 04-07-20, 11:49 AM
rickbuddy_72

Location: Michigan, on the lake, 60 miles WNW of Chicago as the crow flies, or 90 miles if the crow walks.

Bikes: Dolan DF4, BH Ultralight, 1974 Schwinn Paramount Track, Trek Alpha 1000, Trek 730, Miyata 930 affixed to a Brian Wind Trainer

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Specialized Power Expert. It's the middle one in the line. Popular with all the elites on our team.. The less expensive one has heavier rails. The most expensive one is really stiff and a lot of guys don't like that. The saddle comes in four different widths. Find a place that can size it for you. I love mine. Designed for aggressive riding posture -- short nose, plenty of room for your taint. I love mine.
Likes For rickbuddy_72:
Old 04-09-20, 03:15 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
Great responses thanks! It's been a long time since I put time in on the Arione, but I must have moved on from the only one I ever had for a reason...I just can't remember why. They are easy to find though so I'll see about picking one up again.
Will also see about getting some time using the Power. I know my sit bone width so hopefully that will help in getting the right size.

In the meantime I came across a good deal on the Astute Sky Line and its been an instant improvement but time will tell, and I'm willing to try what you've recommended too. Thanks!
Old 08-27-20, 06:32 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4258 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts
What was the old saddle that worked for you? Buy another or move the old one to your new bike

Saddle preference is very individualized. What works for me may not work for you.

I do great with the Fizik Aliante VS. It was discontinued some years ago, but now when I get a new bike, I go hunting on eBay and find another. It's not as light as some other saddles, but I don't care. I know it will work.

Oh, and if you're comfortable with it in these days of pandemic, get a professional bike fit.
Likes For MinnMan: