Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Mimic?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Specialized Mimic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-20, 09:05 AM
Spesh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Specialized Mimic?

A rep at a local shop told me (I'm a dude) I should try this out. Then a friend (woman) of mine was writing glowing reviews online about it. I figured I would give it a shot after all of this but I went to the Specialized website and it's only listed as a woman's cyclist. I mentioned this to my friend and she said that guys do ride it.

Not sure what makes a female-specific saddle but wondering if anyone has any experience with it.
Old 02-04-20, 09:11 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I can't speak to whether guys ride/like it, but I can attest that my wife LOVES it.

It's the first saddle she has truly enjoyed. We've replaced the stock saddle on three of her bikes so far. Still have a few more to go though.
Old 02-04-20, 10:19 AM
junkfoodjunkie
@$#!?&!!$

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like mine better than the regular power saddle.

Jake
Old 02-04-20, 11:41 AM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I've been debating on whether to try the Power Mimic saddle. I've read raving reviews from dudes who love this saddle. The middle is super soft along with the nose. The rear of the saddle feels like a regular Power saddle. My problem is that I'm currently on my trainer and I'm not sure any saddle is comfortable. Spring is coming soon.
Old 02-05-20, 11:02 AM
williaty

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
My wife got the cheapest Mimi saddle this winter. Went from being in pain on the trainer after 20 minutes to being able to ride for as long as she wants with no discomfort at all. They're definitely a winner at least for some women. There's no saddle that's going to be perfect for everyone.
Old 02-05-20, 11:59 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by junkfoodjunkie
I like mine better than the regular power saddle.

Jake
Same here. I've used a vanilla Power, with Elaston, and Mimic and the Mimic wins hands (butt?) down for me. It was designed based off female rider feedback, but last I checked on Specialized's website, it will show up even if you filter on men's gear. Anyway, if you buy from a Specialized dealer, you can swap it for something else if you don't like it.
Old 02-05-20, 12:47 PM
Spesh

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
Anyway, if you buy from a Specialized dealer, you can swap it for something else if you don't like it.
Good to know, thanks. I might give it a go...
Old 02-05-20, 06:01 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Mrs. NoWhammies has been riding on a Mimic saddle during spin class. She is now actively looking to purchase one for her road bike.
Old 02-06-20, 12:55 AM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Lot of good recommendations. Maybe will get one for my wife
Old 02-12-20, 10:30 PM
bahula03

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Decided to give one of these a go, I've been on a 143mm Romin for years and while it's been good it also isn't great. I've tried the standard Power in 143mm and had two issues- the widest part of the saddle extended a little too far forward, such that if I found a comfy place for my sit bones, the saddle "wings" would rub/dig in to the back of my thighs on the downstroke. The other issue was that the cutout is large enough, and probably more importantly, the foam is shaped such, that the edges of the cutout created lines of pressure, if that makes sense. I also tried a 143mm Power Arc, and while it was better than the Power, the curve of the saddle made the sit bone area feel like the support was pushing outwards (maybe a 155mm would address that).

After a couple sessions on the rollers, the Mimic addresses all three issues- the sit bone support is the right width and shape, no thigh rubbing, and a cutout without protruding edges. A marked improvement for me, YMMV.

Princess_Allez All my bits seem to still be there and my appearance remains the same, think I should file a warranty claim with Specialized?
Old 02-13-20, 07:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Spesh
A rep at a local shop told me (I'm a dude) I should try this out. Then a friend (woman) of mine was writing glowing reviews online about it. I figured I would give it a shot after all of this but I went to the Specialized website and it's only listed as a woman's cyclist. I mentioned this to my friend and she said that guys do ride it.

Not sure what makes a female-specific saddle but wondering if anyone has any experience with it.
The width and length are usually different from a men's saddle.
If it fits you- who the 17 cares what gender it was designed for?

I have a Brooks C17 women's saddle on one of my road bikes because the measurements fit. If you compare it to many men's saddles, its actually not shorter too. Just like frame geometry, there is a massive variation in saddle geometry(as there shoudl be) and the line between gendered saddles is very blurry.
Old 02-15-20, 11:19 AM
OUGrad05

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Find the saddle that works for you, what "sex" is on the label of the saddle really shouldn't matter. I need a big cut out, I don't know why but I do women saddles that I've tried tend to be more accommodative in this regard. I've ridden a woman's saddle or two and one of them was a pretty good fit. I'm going through another round of pick the saddle and have a few coming from amazon so I can sit on them and figure it out. Point being, try a few, who cares about what they're labeled the question is do they work for you.
Old 02-16-20, 10:06 AM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I can't speak to whether guys ride/like it, but I can attest that my wife LOVES it.

It's the first saddle she has truly enjoyed. We've replaced the stock saddle on three of her bikes so far. Still have a few more to go though.
Same here! For literally decades I think my wife believed that saddle pain was a given until she finally tried the Power with MIMIC last summer. Now she's in saddle heaven!
Old 02-21-20, 06:45 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
So I tried sitting on my wife's Mimic to see if I would like it.

I think that if the shape of Specialized saddles worked for me, I would like it. I generally do not like how wide they are - even the 143 option - or the shape of how they widen. I am partial to Fizik Arione's which are about 135mm wide and do not flare as quickly.