Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend Ride Reports -- March 20/21

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-20-20, 02:55 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts

Tell us all about your socially distanced cycling this weekend!
Old 03-20-20, 02:56 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Cycling inside ...

Distance:14.30km
Elevation: 247m
Moving Time: 53:07
Elapsed Time: 54:34

...................... Avg ................ Max
Speed ............. 16.2km/h ....... 83.9km/h
Heart Rate ...... 130bpm ......... 155bpm
Cadence ......... 72 .................. 105
Power ............. 84W ............... 176W
Calories .......... 255

Plus about 10 minutes running/walking.
Old 03-20-20, 12:17 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I've been out twice this week for my usual Davis Is. 27 mile evening ride. It is already hot in the high 80's. However, the roads are so much quieter. The traffic is like it was back in the early 80's before the boom took place. I'm also seeing more families out burning off some steam with their kids. It is kind of changes your thinking though. I saw a rider up ahead and normally I would have tried to chase them down, but now I remind myself to keep my distance.
Old 03-22-20, 01:18 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I ride 1/2 hr each way to a spin class mid-week, so I took the opportunity with little traffic
to go for a PR. There was still lots of walkers, kids etc. on a MUP section, but still took 5 1/2 minutes off my best time.
Might try it again later in the evening when few folks are out.

Saturday was nice, & got out for 50 mile loop with substantial climb near the end that I use for FTP test.
~1,500' in 4 miles at a steady ~7%. 5th best time in 19 recorded efforts @ 229w- pretty good for me.

Old 03-22-20, 04:36 PM
Pouhana

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 29, Trek 820, SE BIG Mountain 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Cycling inside ...

Distance:14.30km
Elevation: 247m
Moving Time: 53:07
Elapsed Time: 54:34

...................... Avg ................ Max
Speed ............. 16.2km/h ....... 83.9km/h
Heart Rate ...... 130bpm ......... 155bpm
Cadence ......... 72 .................. 105
Power ............. 84W ............... 176W
Calories .......... 255

Plus about 10 minutes running/walking.

Glad to see this thread Friday I rode my bike to a small town 20 mile trip and a 3 month old family Mexican Cafe which had one other customer. No drive up and afraid of poor business.They did have 4 orders to deliver.

Yesterday a 35 mile trip, shots of old stonebridges. Had to lift bike over a cattle gate. Cafe in small town of 200 which had a bike rack in front.Popular for bikes. 50% of the ride was gravel and double track. Elev Gain 552'

I dined alone. No other diners. At 12 noon. Going out of business next Saturday. Flu season is over.

I have not turned on a tv in almost a week.

Riding a great substitute for March Madnes

Our YMCA isclosed and it always declines in attendance when people run out doors.

Cardio biking will be why we see older folks stronger immune systems.

Our state is not in lock down
Old 03-22-20, 05:16 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Now that I'm no longer a bike commuter (work from home), I'm back on recreational road cycling!

Nice solo 27 mile ride today with 1,781' elevation gain on my steel single speed road bike.

I recorded some epic video of the second half of the ride, but sadly, my micro SD card caught on fire. Next time, hopefully, I'll have a few pictures - it is now Spring in North Carolina!
Old 03-22-20, 07:09 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Now that I'm no longer a bike commuter (work from home), I'm back on recreational road cycling!

Nice solo 27 mile ride today with 1,781' elevation gain on my steel single speed road bike.

I recorded some epic video of the second half of the ride, but sadly, my micro SD card caught on fire. Next time, hopefully, I'll have a few pictures - it is now Spring in North Carolina!

Old 03-22-20, 09:15 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
65k on Saturday with the Missus. Nothing too crazy. Just a nice social ride.
100l on Sunday solo ride. Goal was to get in a good workout before the rain comes.
Old 03-22-20, 10:29 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Saturday skipped riding - ended up sleeping very, very late after having a game night with my son on the Nintendo Switch.

Sunday Zwifting - Tour of Watopia Stage 4. 5 laps around the jungle loop, 45.4 virtual km total. I've completed stages 1, 3 and 4. Stage 5 will be coming up somewhere this week, then there's be a make-up stage 2 sometime after. Reward for completing all stages? A fancy virtual jersey, lol.
Old 03-22-20, 11:32 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Saturday solo road ride up the Historic Columbia Gorge Highway to Crown Point and back, 27 miles round trip. View from the top was gorgeous, as always, though a bit hazy. There were other bikers on the road, and quite a few sightseers and such at both Women's Forum and Crown, but I was able to keep my distance quite well.

Saturday evening I joined a couple friends on a slow roll to a local pub for growler refills. Two of us rode our vintage Bianchis. We kept our distance.

Sunday MTB ride around Powell Butte with a couple friends. Again, we kept our distance but there were too many people on the trails. Maybe 25 miles counting to/from.
Old 03-23-20, 12:20 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
22 miles Friday. Managed to slip on the one patch of ice in the area. Apparently leftover from a brief bit of hail or sleet during the past few days of continuous rain. Fortunately I was going pretty slowly so no harm to my bike or myself. After my shoulder was broken and dislocated in 2018 I've been doing a lot more upper body work to strengthen those muscles. My low bone density hasn't improved any but at least there's a little more muscle as a cushion now.

And 28 very casual effort ride late Sunday afternoon. I'd considered waiting for Monday when the weather is due to warm up into the 80s. But nearby Dallas just ordered more restrictions on travel and being outside, effective Monday or Tuesday. No such constraints yet in Fort Worth but it's possible. Thought I'd get in an outdoor ride while I still can.

Part of my Sunday ride was on the MUP, sometimes a handy shortcut between public roads where I'm heading. The biggest danger remains the free-range dogs and 50-yard retractable non-leashed dogs, and oblivious muppets walking and jogging while deafened by ear buds. And middle aged adolescents in muscle cars racing up and down the touristy area streets that should long ago have been restricted to pedestrians/cyclists or at least strictly enforced slower speed limits. Those hazards are a sure bet every day, while viruses are somewhat avoidable. We could save a lot of injuries and lives if we worried as much about motor vehicle related safety as we do about the latest super cooties pandemic.
Old 03-23-20, 08:36 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
I haven't really ridden much. Having most of my race season canceled kinda pulled the rug out from under my feet. The weather was so nice I couldn't resist though, especially considering I think Oregon is about to get hit with a Shelter in Place order. I was briefly on the main road to a state park on Saturday and it was a solid line of cars going to and from the park. Just ridiculous.

Old 03-23-20, 12:21 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Weather is kind of cookie cutter right now. 80's during the day and 60's at night. Mild humidity, no rain and low wind. In other words, perfect bike weather. Saturday and Sunday did my S. Tampa Picnic to Davis Is. 40 mile ride. Saturday I was stopped at a red light and a cop next to me complimented me on not running the light. First time that's ever happened. Oddly enough, Saturday was the heaviest traffic all week, but Sunday it was dead again. The stuff is about to hit the fan and I'm almost sure we are going on lock down soon. Please don't take my bike riding away. This is the quietest the streets have been in 4 decades.