Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Having a bad time with tubes (failing at valve and misc latex leaks)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-28-13, 08:38 AM
clones2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im having a bad time with tubes this year and want some suggestions on more reliable lightweight butyl or any latex tubes. Ive had issues with my butyls leaking at the valve... and after a couple weeks, some of my latex tubes wont hold air for longer than a couple hours...cant find a leak on those when I test to see where they fail. Have not had one pinch flat...

Tried the Bontrager Race-X Lite butyls... and have had 50/50 experiences with Bontrager Latex and Vittoria latex. And I do ride GP4000s and Vittoria Corsa Evo's as everyday tires - so do notice some difference with these lighter tubes and latex.

Is there anything NEW that has come out lately? Next attempt may be the Michelin latex...? Thanks.
Old 11-28-13, 08:51 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I only ride butyls. I've had good luck with Schwalbe and Vredestein tubes - not the lightest! I find I'm faster if my tires hold air. If your butyls are leaking at the valve, what are you pumping with? I used to use the light Performance tubes, but the ones they have now are unreliable. I also used to use the light Michelin butyl, same problem. Maybe they are better now?
Old 11-28-13, 08:57 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I had issues with leaky presta valves at both the valve itself and where the valve meets the tube. The problem was due to a sticky floor pump that was difficult to disengage from the valve. I bought a new Specialized floor pump for about $50 and the problem went away.

One other thing: I leave the little kurl nut on the presta valve as it helps prevent pushing the valve into the rim when attaching the pump. That probably saves wear and tear on the rubber also.
Old 11-28-13, 09:01 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Performance has discontinued their lightest butyl tube, the Lunar Light, which was prone to pinhole leaks with no apparent cause. They have replaced it with a Light tube that weighs about 67g (48 mm stem), only about 15 g heavier and so far seems to be a bit more reliable. That is what I am riding exclusively now. I doubt these ride as well as latex, but I ditch my tubes when they have any problem; I don't patch them. So I don't look for the cheapest, but like to get these light tubes at a decent price. Latex is just too pricey for me. I doubt I could tell the difference anyway.
Old 11-28-13, 09:24 AM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Schwalbe Tubes! Pricier than most, but super reliable.

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 11-28-13 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-30-13, 07:25 AM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never have issues with tubes. I use regular weight tubes from the bike shop. Trying to eek out that extra watt from tubes that fail or bleed air too quickly just seems like a waste of time.
Old 11-30-13, 09:00 AM
simonaway427

Bikes: 2010 S1, 2011 F75X

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Inspect the rim strip around the valve stem hole....could be worn away or displaced.
Old 11-30-13, 09:35 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I had a group of tube failures at the vale hole a while back. I eventually found that the drilling at the valve hole had left a very sharp edge in the aluminum that was cutting the valve. I very carefully rounded the edge with a countersink tool and finished up with a piece of sandpaper.
Old 12-01-13, 07:39 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
I had a group of tube failures at the vale hole a while back. I eventually found that the drilling at the valve hole had left a very sharp edge in the aluminum that was cutting the valve. I very carefully rounded the edge with a countersink tool and finished up with a piece of sandpaper.
This.