Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction XXXXIII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction XXXXIII

Old 01-27-15, 05:02 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Until the other night on Jimmy Kimmel, I'd never seen JJ other than on the field. Seems like a good, smart kid. I'm a fan.
He is the perfect player outside of not being quarterback. First big-time player since Prime Time to do both offense and defense, yes?
Old 01-27-15, 05:04 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by RPK79
Pick up Patrick Rothfuss' books, The Name of the Wind and A Wise Man's Fear. Good stuff all around.
Noted. I'd started reading on my Kindle at night, because I'd had such poor quality of sleep I was doing everything I could (and that means no staring at glowing screens after 8:30). It'd been a LONG time since I read much fiction, so I started with the Wingman books, which were utter trash, but entertaining trash. They got even stupider, so... grabbed GoT. I'll take a look at those too.
Old 01-27-15, 05:30 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I don't see how a given effort in 25* would require more hydration than 60*. I know about dry air - again, I used to ride in Boulder. That's dry all the time, hot or cold. Has nothing on 90* in the Texas sun. You do need some hydration... but I can't believe you're losing as much sweat as you would be in sauna conditions.
I didn't either. After getting so dehydrated i had a trip to the hospital I started researching it on the interwebz. There's plenty on info on line about it.
It has happened to my friend who is a teacher of ski instructors. He also spends all day out at times working with disabled skiers. He has to teach others about it to keep everyone healthy.
Old 01-27-15, 05:35 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Until the other night on Jimmy Kimmel, I'd never seen JJ other than on the field. Seems like a good, smart kid. I'm a fan.
JJ is certainly special. He is a great resource for Houston in many ways.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 01-27-15, 05:39 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26373 Post(s)
Liked 10,341 Times in 7,185 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
OMG, I step away for a few hours and this place turns into a football bicker-fest.

I've never really thought about it but I'm pretty sure you can buy wine or liquor whenever you want in CA. At least I've never been frustrated by an attempt to purchase some. You just pick some up in the supermarket whenever you happen to go. Easy.

Hey @3alarmer, I planted two citrus trees about 3 years ago in a large raised planting bed next to my driveway. One Eureka Lemon and one Oroblanco Grapefruit, both grafted onto dwarf rootstock. Pretty small when I started, not really producing fruit yet. We are in an inland valley, it gets kind of cold at noght in winter and we are honestly at the edge of the zone where it would be too cold for Eureka lemons, although the Oroblancos should be fine. After winter they would always seem a little distressed but basically were growing and coming along fine.

About a month ago, we had some rain storms and then cold weather. The rain filled up the swimming pool to almost overflowing, so Mr. H was siphoning off some pool water with a hose, he ran it from the back yard to the front yard and it was trickling along the curb to a storm drain. Some bozo walking by on the sidewalk apparently thought the hose had come misplaced from the planting bed and whoever it was moved the hose into the bed. So the planting bed was flooded with chlorinated water by the time we noticed it, totally saturated. This was immediately followed by a could of days of sub-freezing nighttime temps.

Now most of the leaves on the trees are dead. The Eureka lemon is worse, it has maybe 10% living leaves down towards the lower aspect of the tree. The Oroblanco still maybe has 25% living leaves, also towards the lower aspect of the tree. On both trees the surviving leaves are greenish yellow and not entirely healthy looking.

What should I do? Just prune the trees way back and hope they bounce back come spring? Or should I just give up and pull them out? If I do, I probably won't replace them, I'll just put lavender there, which I what I had in the spot prior and it grows perfectly there. I thought the citrus would be nice but quite honestly we are pretty close to orchards and can but most citrus pretty cheap, so growing it only makes sense if the trees are surviving and looking good with little fuss.
... most unfortunate. Here is my online analysis and recommendation.

If you want to go ahead and try to save the trees ( they will never be as easily cared for as lavender) you need to address the root zone soil issue that has been created by your well meaning bozo.

Heavily chlorinated water of the sort that is found in swimming pools has the unfortunate tendency to leave behind a mineral salt residue, and it has now bonded to your soil particles in some way. The strength of the bond, and how difficult it will be to flush out, depends a lot on what you have for soil. Anyway, you need to heavily irrigate the two trees until you flush that stuff down below the root zone, and then you need to try to rebalance the soil Ph and somehow replace all the nutrients you also wash out in the process. I would not cut them back at all until I saw whether there was any regrowth at the leaf buds......well, maybe I might thin them a little to lessen the amount of top growth the poor damaged roots need to support.

So flood them with some sort of soaker hose arrangement for a couple of weeks on and off, letting them dry out a little in between to keep- from depriving them of Ox in the soil, then rebalance the PH, which for citrus needs to be a little acid, which is easily done with ironite, and it has the advantage of adding some available iron. It seems like those Oro Blanco are always a little chlorotic from not enough iron...at least that's my experience of the variety.

I would also top dress with some sort of rotted manure or leaf compost after the irrigation flush. That's just good practice. When (if) yoiu see any regrowth in the spring, that is a good time to encourage them with some sort of mild to moderate nitrogenous fertilizer. I'd use fish emulsion here, then follow a month or so later if growth looks good with one of the commercial peletized mixes sold as "citrus food" in most garden centers in big bags.

If all this sounds like too much trouble, and you decide to replant, use something from that link list of salt tolerant stuff. But if you know what was used to backfill that raised bed, and it was not heavy clay, you're probably good if yoiu just keep flushing, and use a lot of soil amendment when you replant. I think I warned you that gardening is filled with similar tragedies.

Last edited by 3alarmer; 01-27-15 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-27-15, 05:53 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Lance Armstrong says he'd cheat again if doping remained pervasive
Old 01-27-15, 06:18 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Oh good. I was worried we might have a few hours without a contentious topic.
Old 01-27-15, 06:25 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
... most unfortunate. Here is my online analysis and recommendation.

If you want to go ahead and try to save the trees ( they will never be as easily cared for as lavender) you need to address the root zone soil issue that has been created by your well meaning bozo.

Heavily chlorinated water of the sort that is found in swimming pools has the unfortunate tendency to leave behind a mineral salt residue, and it has now bonded to your soil particles in some way. The strength of the bond, and how difficult it will be to flush out, depends a lot on what you have for soil. Anyway, you need to heavily irrigate the two trees until you flush that stuff down below the root zone, and then you need to try to rebalance the soil Ph and somehow replace all the nutrients you also wash out in the process. I would not cut them back at all until I saw whether there was any regrowth at the leaf buds......well, maybe I might thin them a little to lessen the amount of top growth the poor damaged roots need to support.

So flood them with some sort of soaker hose arrangement for a couple of weeks on and off, letting them dry out a little in between to keep- from depriving them of Ox in the soil, then rebalance the PH, which for citrus needs to be a little acid, which is easily done with ironite, and it has the advantage of adding some available iron. It seems like those Oro Blanco are always a little chlorotic from not enough iron...at least that's my experience of the variety.

I would also top dress with some sort of rotted manure or leaf compost after the irrigation flush. That's just good practice. When (if) yoiu see any regrowth in the spring, that is a good time to encourage them with some sort of mild to moderate nitrogenous fertilizer. I'd use fish emulsion here, then follow a month or so later if growth looks good with one of the commercial peletized mixes sold as "citrus food" in most garden centers in big bags.

If all this sounds like too much trouble, and you decide to replant, use something from that link list of salt tolerant stuff. But if you know what was used to backfill that raised bed, and it was not heavy clay, you're probably good if yoiu just keep flushing, and use a lot of soil amendment when you replant. I think I warned you that gardening is filled with similar tragedies.

The lavender seems like an attractive option. If it won't die too. Stupid unhelpful helpful bozo.
Old 01-27-15, 06:40 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10951 Post(s)
Liked 4,605 Times in 2,112 Posts
In my racing days, if my doctor said, "Take this, it will help you recover and also make you faster," I'd have taken it in a heartbeat, no questions asked. I never met a racer back then that wouldn't have.

Old 01-27-15, 06:47 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

The lavender seems like an attractive option. If it won't die too. Stupid unhelpful helpful bozo.
...just soak the hell out of them, let them dry out, repeat five or six cycles over a period of a couple of weeks. Then fertilize (lightly) and think positive thoughts.
That rootstock that they use for most citrus is pretty durable. That might be what you see growing down near the base, volunteers from the rootstock.

If that's what it is, you'll see some pretty obvious thorns on them, and the leaves will look a little different from your old trees.

Most of the lavenders with which I'm familiar are noted as salt tolerant.
Old 01-27-15, 07:09 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

...just soak the hell out of them, let them dry out, repeat five or six cycles over a period of a couple of weeks. Then fertilize (lightly) and think positive thoughts.
That rootstock that they use for most citrus is pretty durable. That might be what you see growing down near the base, volunteers from the rootstock.

If that's what it is, you'll see some pretty obvious thorns on them, and the leaves will look a little different from your old trees.

Most of the lavenders with which I'm familiar are noted as salt tolerant.
Just to be clear, the living leaves are not coming up from the base. It's just the lowest part of the canopy that's still a little greenish.

The problem is that the trees look terrible and they are in a pretty prominent location at the front of the house. So we look like a foreclosure at this point in time, at least to the left of the driveway. I'm not really keen on the look.

Its frustrating, three years of growth down the tubes. But I may need to let these trees go. Mr H wants them adios'ed they look so bad. And he is extremely unlikely to express an opinion on anything in the garden. Telling you it's pretty unattractive.

Interestingly enough, the only other garden thing he expressed an opinion on was the lavender, he thought it looked "messy". What?! It was awesome, smelled great and was buzzing with bees and butterflies. So I pulled the lavender out & put in the citrus. If the trees have to go, I will at least have leverage to put the lavender back in.

I also have some herbs tucked into a corner of this bed, does this mean none of them will be back in the spring? The rosemary seems fine, it is on the salt-tolerant list. But dormant right now are thyme, chives, and tarragon. Are they dead too? At least they are not as big a deal to replace. The tarragon is not even supposed to make it through winter where we are, but I've been lucky & it's come back every spring. I love tarragon and it's just really nice to have as much as you want of it all summer long.
Old 01-27-15, 07:12 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13689 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 2,496 Posts
LOTR is best read with full prior knowledge and liberal use of "let's skip ahead a ways". I never get tired of Moria though.

But yeah, some of my friends claimed he was as good/ better. From a linguistic standpoint, not even close. Worldcrafting is great, but his command of the language? No, no, no.
I don't skip. Haven't read it in a while either.
Old 01-27-15, 07:14 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by rjones28
I also need a new set. I always end up passing them along. Maybe I'll get a fancy edition this time.
Old 01-27-15, 07:40 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

I also need a new set. I always end up passing them along. Maybe I'll get a fancy edition this time.
I have the leatherbound Red Book of Westmarch edition. Pretty, but unwieldy, and there are typesetting issues. That last part pissed me off when I first noticed it.
Old 01-27-15, 07:56 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

I also have some herbs tucked into a corner of this bed, does this mean none of them will be back in the spring? The rosemary seems fine, it is on the salt-tolerant list. But dormant right now are thyme, chives, and tarragon. Are they dead too? At least they are not as big a deal to replace. The tarragon is not even supposed to make it through winter where we are, but I've been lucky & it's come back every spring. I love tarragon and it's just really nice to have as much as you want of it all summer long.

...most herbs are pretty rugged. Anything that has not been in active growth has probably been protected somewhat by dormancy.
I'd still try to flush the bed by repeated, intermittent, deep over watering (past the root zone), unless you get a lot more rain (unlikely).

I'm totally queer for tarragon, both in fish and in poultry dishes. Wooshie will now probably make fun of me, but i don't care. I'm here, I'm queer, and I use tarragon in volume.
Old 01-27-15, 07:59 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

...most herbs are pretty rugged. Anything that has not been in active growth has probably been protected somewhat by dormancy.
I'd still try to flush the bed by repeated, intermittent, deep over watering (past the root zone), unless you get a lot more rain (unlikely).

I'm totally queer for tarragon, both in fish and in poultry dishes. Wooshie will now probably make fun of me, but i don't care. I'm here, I'm queer, and I use tarragon in volume.
OMG Lemon Tarragon Chicken Salad. Make standard chicken salad, with celery and walnuts. Add lemon juice and tarragon. Totally the bestest. Its why the tarragon was planted but there are admittedly many other very swell applications.

I am thinking we will pull the trees, flush the soil, and put the lavender back. Then let the soil get additionally slowly flushed out over time. Maybe eventually try the citrus again, if we tire of the lavender.
Old 01-27-15, 08:15 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
We know that you skip over the songs like everyone else, don't lie.
Old 01-27-15, 10:27 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I've ridden over 300 miles since I got to Florida 10 days ago and now I have to deal with these stupid tan lines.
Bummer
Old 01-27-15, 10:37 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Oh good. I was worried we might have a few hours without a contentious topic.
I didn't think @3alarmer's gardening tips were out of line.
Old 01-27-15, 10:46 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

I have the leatherbound Red Book of Westmarch edition. Pretty, but unwieldy, and there are typesetting issues. That last part pissed me off when I first noticed it.
I'll probably get the Houghton Mifflin special edition. I already have the Houghton Mifflin special edition of The Hobbit.
Old 01-27-15, 10:48 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

We know that you skip over the songs like everyone else, don't lie.
I sing them aloud. Don't you?
Old 01-27-15, 10:55 PM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BillyD
If it were anybody else I would agree with your sentiment. But the sport world seems to agree that repeat offenders should have a shortened leash. What part of "repeat offender" translates to "look the other way"?

And secondly . . . . . . . . . . Boooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!
Who is a repeat offender?? Stop it with this SPYGATE already. Everyone tries to steal signals. Why do you think coaches have those clip boards in front of there pie holes when they calls plays?? Because the other team is trying to steal thier plays!! When a runner is on second base in baseball he's trying to steal the opponents next pitch...just for you and boo boo hummer I hope they take all the air out of the patriots football's for the entire Super Bowl. They can stick the extra air in Marchon Lynches head which is completely empty...Boom solved!!
Old 01-27-15, 11:14 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

I didn't think @3alarmer's gardening tips were out of line.
...interestingly, gardening forums can get very contentious at times. .........................................I know, right ?
Old 01-27-15, 11:16 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by WHOOOSSHHH...
..just for you and boo boo hummer I hope they take all the air out of the patriots football's for the entire Super Bowl. They can stick the extra air in Marchon Lynches head which is completely empty...Boom solved!!
...how do you feel about tarragon in potato salad ? Good idea or bad idea ?
Old 01-27-15, 11:35 PM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
...how do you feel about tarragon in potato salad ? Good idea or bad idea ?
It's good with seafood...potato salad I'm not so sure.

Can it be injected into footballs or empty heads?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.