Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My new $7,000 bike and the futility of justifying the price to the average person.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My new $7,000 bike and the futility of justifying the price to the average person.

Old 02-18-15, 03:40 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Perhaps a more accessible comparison for most people would be the fact that a family of 4 can easily spend 5-10 thousand dollars on a single week trip to Disneyworld, and yet people do it all the time...THAT'S CRAZY! However, they justification is that it's "For the family."

I know a man in his 60's who has been cycling seriously his entire life, and he and his wife both have bikes that I'm sure cost thousands of dollars, as well as a racing-style Tandem that may well have been nearly $10k (not sure, but it's super-nice). They can afford it, and they have been able to spend countless hours of quailty family time with their grown children cycling together. They have taken long cycling trips with their children. Their son does triathalons. They have invested thousands, but have reaped the fruit of excellent health for them and their children, as well as a common interest they can share with their children.

Compared to a trip to Disneyworld, or a $1500 TV (They don't have a TV)...7,000 on a bike doesn't seem too bad.
Old 02-18-15, 07:12 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I merely note that this thread is the opposite of the ones where someone questions the sanity of anyone riding a high-end bike because doubling the price does not double the utility, halve the weight, etc.
Old 02-18-15, 07:24 AM
rgver

Bikes: 1 frame and a heap of pieces

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find it ridiculous that the OP has to justify his purchase of a nice bike to people who supposedly like bikes. He likes it, no more justification needed.
Old 02-18-15, 07:48 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Some riders ride a lot.

It's easy to ride 250 hours a year, and not unusual to ride 400 hours or more. That's 1250 to 2000 hours over 5 years.

Bike consumables, including tires, chains, cassettes, cables, and bar tape add up. And shorts, gloves, energy bars, event rides, and other bike related items. It's easy for these to add up to at least $100 per year, and more likely $200 or $300. That's $500 to $1500 over 5 years.

So an expensive bike's cost seems more reasonable over time. A $7000 bike ridden 2000 hours is $3.50 an hour. A $2000 bike is $1.00 an hour. So that doesn't sound so bad. Although cost per mile does seem high. At 15 mph average, 30,000 miles, the $7000 bike is 23 cents a mile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think that a bike that's double what "I" paid (whatever the amount!) is often the point where the bike seems excessively expensive. One that's 30% or 50% higher kind of makes sense as a "nice bike".

Last edited by rm -rf; 02-18-15 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-18-15, 09:59 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I merely note that this thread is the opposite of the ones where someone questions the sanity of anyone riding a high-end bike because doubling the price does not double the utility, halve the weight, etc.
Doubling the riders doubles the pleasure and doubles the fun!

Old 02-18-15, 11:20 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. I bike, and my friends golf in the summer time. I dont have really high priced bike and trike, but they would be well over $3500 new. But then look at my friend golfing. Their clubs are good ones that come in close to $1000, and then there are green fees and balls and tees. My bike and trike will last me probably the rest of my life, but green fees, drives to different clubs, lunch and beer after golfing keeps on comming.
Old 02-18-15, 11:56 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
Honestly, I don't recall anyone ever asking me how much my bike was... I have been asked them much someone should spend for a reasonable bike.

While my personal bias is that $7,000 bikes belong in the realm of riders good enough to have sponsors buy them, I don't begrudge anyone deciding how they want to spend their money.

Surely a bicycle is a better value than vices, but does anyone really know someone who smokes a pack a day while drinking a six pack, and spending $7 a day on weed? Back in my day, that would be a half an ounce every day, but I know there has been massive inflation in the cost of weed since then. But why stop there... Why not say that someone using heroine spends $100 per day, or $36,500... then you can feel like a cheap skate.

Unless you buy a new bike every year, and if you feel compelled to announce then justify your expense, then simply express that $7,000 - $2,000 (resale value) = $5,000 divided by 3 years * 365 days per year is about $4.50 per day. Many people would have no hesitation to fritter away $5 per day on something they enjoyed, whatever that might be.

But honestly, the average person is going to make assumptions, and I wouldn't worry about them or specific numbers.... let them think whatever they want and leave the math to them... Just tell them that when you amortize it over 3 years, it is perfectly reasonable amount to spend on a daily basis for something you love. This would make almost any investment seem realistic, and also avoid scaring someone away from cycling because it is too expensive.
You must be really old...
Old 02-18-15, 12:05 PM
CenturionIM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray9
. People look very confused and dumb when I explain it this way. The pedals and some special wheels increase the cost of the bike.
Sorry Ray, I think you are out of luck there. I am cyclist and I LOVE bikes but there is no way I can justify spending $7K on a bike no matter how much I make. Ever. Ever ever ever. No.

Now can I take it for a spin?
Old 02-18-15, 12:38 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My problem would be justifying spending $7K on a bike....to myself!
Old 02-18-15, 05:45 PM
cvskates

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I was playing hockey I would occasionally get snide comments from guys about how it must be nice to have new goalie pads (when I got a new pair, that is). It was invariably from the guy drinking beer every single game, and much like the OP, I thought to myself "How much do you spend a year on beer?".

As has been stated so many times, we all spend our money on what we like.

...and I would totally buy a $7000 bike. Then come here to bike forums and overtly brag about it (which I don't believe was the point of the OP).
Old 02-18-15, 06:06 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They make bikes that are less than $7000?
Old 02-18-15, 06:21 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Cycling is strange in that 95% of the cost is equipment, with no effective participation fees. Most other hobbies the main cost is some type of membership, greens fee, etc.

Look at it this way $7k is less than the membership dues for most country-clubs.
Old 02-18-15, 07:27 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Look at it this way. I hear a pack of cigarettes in NY cost near $10 a pack. If the smoker is a pack a day smoker that mean $3650 a year. In less than 2 years your bike would be paid for, and good health. And in 2 years you will still have an exceptional bike and the smoker will have stained fingers, holes in his pants from ashes, and a good start on lung cancer. Between the two of you, taking a leap of logic here, it seems to me you will come out ahead.
Old 02-18-15, 07:41 PM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The link you provided is to a Cannondale with a pricetag of $5.420.00 which though it is $1580.00 less than 7000
still seems like an awful lot of money to spend on a bike with no pedals.
Old 02-18-15, 07:51 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1
The link you provided is to a Cannondale with a pricetag of $5.420.00 which though it is $1580.00 less than 7000
still seems like an awful lot of money to spend on a bike with no pedals.
OP said $ 7000. So I assume if the bike cost $5420, then the pedals must of cost $1580 ???...WTF ??, that's some really expensive pedals.
Old 02-18-15, 07:58 PM
sam_cyclist
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The average cost of a pack Marlboro Reds in the US is $9.73. The average cost of a six pack of Bud in the US is $7.25. The average weed smoker in the US spends about $2500 in a year according to a weed smoker I know (this may be more or less). $9.73+$7.25 = $16.98 a day for the booze and butts. $2500/365= about $7 a day for weed. $16.98+$7 = $23.98 a day. $23.98 x 365 = $8,752.70 in a year for the average American to satisfy his or her self gratification. $8,752-$7000 = - $1,1752. So I'm still short since I do not smoke tobacco, consume alcohol or use weed. This is the best I can do. And this expense is for just one year, the expense for average self gratification goes on year after year until of course the medical expenses kick in. My last bike which I paid $3000 for in 2008 has lasted me for seven years. This is the best way I can explain the cost. People look very confused and dumb when I explain it this way. The pedals and some special wheels increase the cost of the bike.

SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Dura Ace 2 - SUPERSIX EVO - ELITE ROAD - ROAD - BIKES - 2015
So, how would you rate the bike assuming you've ridden it a fair bit by now?

10/10? 9/10?

I assume there are multiple criterion you could use:

-comfort
-speed
-smoothness of shifting and of componentry overall
-esthetics
-durability
Old 02-18-15, 08:01 PM
sam_cyclist
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
Cycling is strange in that 95% of the cost is equipment, with no effective participation fees. Most other hobbies the main cost is some type of membership, greens fee, etc.

Look at it this way $7k is less than the membership dues for most country-clubs.
Those are very different investments. A country club, ostensibly, affords you the opportunity to meet important people and develop social networks.

You can certainly network with people as a cyclist, but I'm assuming most of your interaction will be limited to some brief chats before and after group rides.
Old 02-18-15, 08:31 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by sam_cyclist
So, how would you rate the [$7000] bike assuming you've ridden it a fair bit by now?

10/10? 9/10?

I assume there are multiple criterion you could use:

-comfort
-speed
-smoothness of shifting and of componentry overall
-esthetics
-durability
That’s a good question, and I have in the past considered the answer for my own bike; at least 9/10. FYA:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…For years, I rode a steel Bridgestone RB-1, costing about $650 down from about $800 as an end-of-year model when I bought it in the early 1980’s. I came to learn it was considered a classic. After the introduction of carbon fiber bikes, I always wondered if the premium prices of CF, which I considered to be about $2000 was worth the presumed enhanced riding experience.

The Bridgestone was totaled in 2012 in an accident from which I was not sure I would ride again. Well I did, and decided to get a CF. My trusted mechanic said here’s the bike you want, knowing my riding style. Well the MSRP was $8000, but he got it for me at half off…
My average speed stayed the same, but I think I was hampered by injuries from the accident, and I believe the new bike compensated at least to maintain my average speed. I did note that I was more inclined to sprint (successfully) to beat traffic lights before they turned red. I further craved the smoothness of the ride, including the shifting, making cycle-commuting more pleasurable. Of greatest benefit, while long (greater than 40 mile) rides took the same amount of time as before, I felt much less tired at the end.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… Now, considering the attitude most non- or occasional cyclists towards bicycles and prices, I’m frankly somewhat embarrassed to admit to paying so much, sounding like some over-the-top conspicuous consumption...
Nonetheless, bragging rights are also fun.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-18-15 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 02:24 AM
meteor3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you could spend $7k on other worthwhile things.

for example: my recent prescription for inhalers, if purchased at walmart, would cost $73.39 + $222.64 + $279.76 which sums to $575 a month.

a year of that - $6900. for the rest of my life if there isnt a price increase.

personally, would prefer to spend that much on a decent trike - the knees dont do too well on the 2-wheel stuff anymore.
Old 02-19-15, 06:55 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
I ride on a road with $20-50K automobiles, past homes that have 6-7 figure asking prices, have neighbors with expensive boats, motorcycles, TVs, swimming pools, etc. Why should anyone think my bike is expensive?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 02-19-15, 08:00 AM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The part about justifying it to myself is probably somewhat accurate but I made the mistake of telling a coworker what I paid and now it's out there for public consumption. I gave up alcohol twenty years ago and weed forty years ago. I don't think most people realize what they spend on some of this stuff. I'm 68 in March and thankful that I began taking care of myself years ago. I have a lot of disposable income now and well, I'm spending it.
And just how much is a cardiac bypass?
Old 02-19-15, 09:03 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
You must be really old...
I am old... Back when I was first aware of prices in the early 70's, $10 an ounce for run of the mill weed with stems and seeds in the mix was pretty normal. and $15 an ounce would have probably been a decent deal for higher quality, like Acapulco Gold. I have no idea what prices are today.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-19-15, 09:13 AM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
I ride on a road with $20-50K automobiles, past homes that have 6-7 figure asking prices, have neighbors with expensive boats, motorcycles, TVs, swimming pools, etc. Why should anyone think my bike is expensive?
People know what they know and tend to question that with which they're not familiar. Expensive bikes are unfamiliar to most people, especially outside major metro areas. Part of that has to do with the fact that major metro areas tend to have folks that are more active, as well as have higher average incomes.
Old 02-19-15, 09:14 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I have not bought a new bike for many years. I have bought a handful of used bikes, and bought some budget frames and built myself 'new' bikes from old parts, but no new bikes. But I have a mountain bike that would cost me $3000 to replace.

My response when people ask and are surprised at the value of my bike is, "did you know that some people spend over thirty thousand dollars...
... on a car!"
Old 02-19-15, 09:15 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
I am old... Back when I was first aware of prices in the early 70's, $10 an ounce for run of the mill weed with stems and seeds in the mix was pretty normal. and $15 an ounce would have probably been a decent deal for higher quality, like Acapulco Gold. I have no idea what prices are today.
$10/g is a reasonable average. Less if you are friends with an entrepreneur. And that is for just bud. My dad used to buy bags of green plant material with seeds and sticks, but since I became an adult I have seldom even seen seeds. Sensimillia I think is the word for the frustrated virgin female plants that produce the most potent bud.

Smoking is bad for you though. Almost as bad as alcohol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.