Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Would you say something? (bike path racers)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Would you say something? (bike path racers)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-18, 11:42 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I care because I take my 5 y/o and 7 y/o out in this area. They keep to the right, but an interaction in a corner between two racer boy wannabes going 25mph and my kids.......yeah, that's not gonna fly.

The stop sign thing, that's their own safety. I just notice them doing little "crits" in their apartment complex's little roads. Someone asked about the stop signs in one of their posts, the guys replied "we just run em all". I have nothing to say over that other than if you lead our group for a turn, you better not jump a sign in front of a car.

I used to be opposed to the flagging segments on greenways, but, I kind of get it now. If it's not there, the thrill is gone.
Old 08-14-18, 12:09 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I used to be opposed to the flagging segments on greenways, but, I kind of get it now. If it's not there, the thrill is gone.
If this actually works, it seems like the best way to control this unsafe behavior.

People rely too much on others to take care of problems. Calling the cops might not even work ... and if it did, it might create huge resentment in your group, lead to other problems, might even endanger you, and wouldn't necessarily stop the behavior---it ii got a ticket on a segment, i would assume the cop would never go back there, because s/he already wrote the ticket.

Direct confrontation---all the same downsides, very little chance of upside.

You feel a need to improve the town in which you live---you should, it is your responsibility, same as cleaning up your own home. Flagging sections might actually stop the behavior which you want stopped? Do it.

More so I suggest this because you are not some thin-skinned, self-righteous whiner. You came here admitting you had done it yourself, realized it was wrong, and decided to stop. You realize that other members of the community are at risk. You realize something should be done.

Flagging segments seems like the best option.
Old 08-14-18, 12:47 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
CAT6 Strava Pathlete here. I ride MUP's fast (sometimes insanely fast, I've sustained 38 mph with nobody around), but I always slow way, way down (<10mph) approaching any blind corners, street crossings, or family oriented peds/cyclists/pets, and almost always ring my bell before passing anyone. I'm insane, not wreckless.
Old 08-14-18, 01:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
CAT6 Strava Pathlete here. I ride MUP's fast (sometimes insanely fast, I've sustained 38 mph with nobody around), but I always slow way, way down (<10mph) approaching any blind corners, street crossings, or family oriented peds/cyclists/pets, and almost always ring my bell before passing anyone. I'm insane, not wreckless.

Please tell me the 38 mph was down hill with a tailwind!

I don't have a problem with riding fast on a path, and regularly hit the mid-20s on them. But it's always on a straightaway or a very wide turn with a lot of ability to look forward.

I love the Minuteman near Boston on weekends, and there are sections you really can't go more than 15 without endangering people because of multiple crossings and heavy foot traffic, but there is a section of about 3 miles at the northern end that pretty much goes through a swamp, has very little foot traffic, and no crossings. I always open it up there even if I can't get within 10 mph of 38 mph.
Old 08-14-18, 01:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I care because I take my 5 y/o and 7 y/o out in this area. They keep to the right, but an interaction in a corner between two racer boy wannabes going 25mph and my kids.......yeah, that's not gonna fly.
I always slow way down for kids regardless of how well they appear to be doing, and I've had a lot of parents apologize for that. I always feel so guilty about that I make it a point of explaining it's my job to watch out for kids, and that as far as I'm concerned, teaching kids to ride is what the path is for.

No matter how good a teacher a parent is, a 5 year old is going to make occassional mistakes, it's how they learn. I've had some 5 year olds do things that required some finesse on my part to avoid collision, and I find you can calmly talk to the kid about why that wasn't a good idea and the parents appreciate it because it reinforces what they're trying to teach the kids.
Old 08-14-18, 01:54 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
of course you can say something. imagine if a kid or elderly person like your grandmother was struck & injured or worse & you said nothing or did nothing

I would not ride with them & I would tell them why
+!
Old 08-14-18, 02:24 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Segments on shared greenways are dumb, just like segments that end right before a stop sign or traffic light, even more so when at the bottom of a hill.
Old 08-14-18, 02:32 PM
chicagogal

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I've recently ridden on many, many miles of paths in 4 New England states. I've never seen this anywhere. There could be local ordinances, but it's definitely not state law here, it's definitely not an ordinance in the city I live in, and there are no posted limits on any of the paths in the region that I'm aware of other than one in NH that posts 25 mph. Where have you seen speed limits in the east? Not interrogating or challenging you, I'm just curious.

Path in Philadelphia: speed limit 5mph https://bicyclecoalition.org/life-fa...g-kelly-drive/

Rail trail in upstate NY: 10mph https://www.vestalny.com/departments...rail_trail.php

This rail trail in VT has speed limits ranging from 15-35mph Missisquoi Valley Rail Trail
Old 08-14-18, 02:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by chicagogal
Path in Philadelphia: speed limit 5mph https://bicyclecoalition.org/life-fa...g-kelly-drive/

Rail trail in upstate NY: 10mph https://www.vestalny.com/departments...rail_trail.php

This rail trail in VT has speed limits ranging from 15-35mph Missisquoi Valley Rail Trail

Thanks!

Guess we both learned something from this thread.

I would never ride on a 5 mph path, what's the point?

Last edited by livedarklions; 08-14-18 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-14-18, 02:46 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Start flagging all the segements as dangerous. If they aren't getting a Strava reward, they'll likely move on.
I did that on my local trail. Some people kept making segments that passed through street entrances. Obviously, they were blowing the stop signs in their attempts. Anyway, they make 'em and I flag 'em.

Old 08-14-18, 02:47 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Please tell me the 38 mph was down hill with a tailwind!
Yes, 20 mph tailwind, downhill, and a clear view of the next 1/2 mile of MUP.
Old 08-14-18, 02:50 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
I've recently ridden on many, many miles of paths in 4 New England states. I've never seen this anywhere. There could be local ordinances, but it's definitely not state law here, it's definitely not an ordinance in the city I live in, and there are no posted limits on any of the paths in the region that I'm aware of other than one in NH that posts 25 mph. Where have you seen speed limits in the east? Not interrogating or challenging you, I'm just curious.
Probably just local ordnances. I haven't seen any posted speed limits in New England. The only speed limit I've seen was in Quebec near Mont Tremblant (parc lineaire le petit train)

Here's what Strava will show next to a hazardous segment:

If you click through, you'll get a page of legalese. You'll have to accept the waiver for every single segment.

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...t-as-Hazardous
Old 08-14-18, 02:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

This would be a great debate topic--I actually don't have a fixed opinion--

"Strava leaderboards are ruining recreational cycling".
Old 08-14-18, 03:29 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts

I ride the Ojai Bike Trail from Ventura, Ca, and don't recall seeing any speed limit signs. A lot of the trail is straight with good sightlines, but there is a southern section that snakes thru an oilfield with several blind corners. One day I got caught up in a 20+mph paceline with several of our club's faster riders. We came around a blind curve with several guys 4 or 5 wide across the trail. Lots of squealing brakes, cursing, but no real contact. I did brush shoulders with somebody head on. No crash or injury, but it certainly cured me of bike path craziness. When we get to the twisty bits, I just let them go, and do my own ride, with lots of gap ahead.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 08-14-18 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-14-18, 04:52 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
This morning as I was riding over to the hospital for my yearly checkup I saw a group of about 30 riders take off southbound on the Iron Horse Trail. They were apparently starting from the Whole Foods store. That is so irresponsible. If they had gotten onto the parallel street with plenty of shoulder they could have done whatever formation they desired. I couldn’t get across the intersection
Old 08-14-18, 05:30 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This topic gets me all triggered.
where can a cyclist train ??

If we train on roads we can be harassed by drivers , pulled over by cops just for going down the road .

if we train on bike paths we are too fast or dangerous . even though on a bike path bikes are primary traffic and most pedestrians break the rules of path, block the path , take up both lanes . let their kids use the path as a playground . use the path as a dog park with 80 foot leashes . cause cyclist to move and weave rather than make way .

I train on all kinds of paths , but i see some of the dumbest people on bike paths . im literally going strait in a line , i have never got in anyones way but at least once a run i have to dodge a dummy breaking the rules of the path .
there have been so many people ive almost collided with because they have no clue what they are doing and they dont respect the rules.

Ive gone fast ive gone slow but no matter what i come across a person not respecting the lanes wondering around like a zombie , doing what ever they feel .

If every one has the right to use the path does that give them the right to do what ever they want . does that mean i cant ride hard and push myself .
Old 08-14-18, 08:02 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
This topic gets me all triggered.

If we train on roads we can be harassed by drivers , pulled over by cops just for going down the road .

if we train on bike paths we are too fast or dangerous . even though on a bike path bikes are primary traffic and most pedestrians break the rules of path, block the path , take up both lanes . let their kids use the path as a playground.
Paths are primarily for traffic and recreation (kids included). They are definitely not primarily for high speed training. Harassed by drivers on the road, sure that happens, but who gets pulled over by cops "just for going down the road" ?!

I don't know about where you live, but if I get a little out of the city, there's plenty of roads and paths where I can ride fast for long distances. It's just unreasonable to expect that on a crowded urban path.
Old 08-14-18, 08:19 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes police will stop cyclists in groups for taking up to much space around my area .

Who decides what the paths are for and how they should be used . with nothing but light rules posted on signs ??the bf forums . ???

So its ok for people to block a path , be unsafe dangle their dog 50 feet all over the place. take up both lanes in both directions , not pay attention to anyone or anything , swerve in and out of the lanes , let the kids play on the path like its a play ground , roller blade in the center line , stop and talk in the lane back turned , , BUT I CANT GO FAST IN A STRAIT LINE .
OK got glad to be set strait from now on 8mph pro stravalypics speed !!!!!

By that logic i should be able to have a picnic in the middle of street naked and expect a medal of honor from every one who comes across my excellence .

If people will not respect the path and be safe , they shouldn't expect cyclist to be safe for them ,who has the right to have the right of way ??!!??
Old 08-14-18, 09:01 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
there are no posted limits on any of the paths in the region that I'm aware of other than one in NH that posts 25 mph. Where have you seen speed limits in the east? Not interrogating or challenging you, I'm just curious.
They're not overtly posted by me as a road would be, but if you look at the rules boards that tell you things like right of way and opening hours, linear parks are generally 15MPH here in Metro Detroit, and actual parks with paths 10MPH. Obviously there are plenty of areas one can safely do faster than that, and I do in those areas (think two miles from parking and clear straight trail for a half mile), but perhaps Strava should offer a way for legal speed limits to be uploaded, and any speed be capped at that.

I always slow way down for kids regardless of how well they appear to be doing,
+1000.
Old 08-14-18, 09:08 PM
jasnooks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would never ride on a 5 mph path, what's the point?
Exercise, fresh air, enjoy nature, spend time with family and friends, etc..
Better than sitting on a couch.
Different strokes for different folks
Old 08-14-18, 09:22 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
I think Steve Wright said "Everyone slower than you is a geezer, everyone faster is driving like a maniac"

I used to be a maniac but now I am a geezer.
Old 08-14-18, 09:57 PM
Bang0Bang00
41 calories/30 min typing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second the anonymous call to the authorities idea.

If you were one of the hellcats before, you could try to relate to them, since it sounds like your change in habit has come from hindsight and experience.

Why not offer them some A group rides?

At the end of the day, if they're adults, they have a right to make their own bad decisions. If these bad decisions could impact others (kids/elderly), it's worth saying something... especially since they probably know but could use the reminder.
Old 08-14-18, 11:15 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
It's one thing to train, and another to race. My impression is that "segments" are time-trial races organized by Strava. Nobody is forcing Strava to operate this service, but they could be held responsible for it. My view is that races should be held on closed courses, just like car races. It's illegal to race in a car on a public road.
If every one has the right to use the path does that give them the right to do what ever they want . does that mean i cant ride hard and push myself.
I don't think anybody is entitled to any specific use of the path without reasonably co-existing with other uses. Depending on the conditions (congestion, other riders, etc.) you might not be able to push yourself as hard as you want to on the bike path.

In my view a compromise is to do it in a way that is conspicuously respectful of the other users, and expect that they will give you reasonable leeway. That's really how most shared resources work. If we had to have laws for every possible thing that somebody might think of doing, human life would grind to a halt, or the power would simply default to people who hold themselves above the law.
Old 08-15-18, 04:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by jasnooks
Exercise, fresh air, enjoy nature, spend time with family and friends, etc..
Better than sitting on a couch.
Different strokes for different folks
My apologies, I wasn't clear. If it's posted 5 mph, I would rather walk on it. That's an uncomfortably slow riding speed for what I would guess is the vast majority of riders.
Old 08-15-18, 04:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by jefnvk
They're not overtly posted by me as a road would be, but if you look at the rules boards that tell you things like right of way and opening hours, linear parks are generally 15MPH here in Metro Detroit, and actual parks with paths 10MPH. Obviously there are plenty of areas one can safely do faster than that, and I do in those areas (think two miles from parking and clear straight trail for a half mile), but perhaps Strava should offer a way for legal speed limits to be uploaded, and any speed be capped at that.

+1000.
I actually do read the boards where I ride, and I have yet to see one in Mass., NH, or RI that includes a speed limit. They all say yield to pedestrians.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.