Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Another backpack thread

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Another backpack thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-20, 07:43 AM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
I prefer panniers but also have an Osprey Stratos 34L for commuting and hiking. Space gets tight when you carry lunch in reusable containers, necessary gear, and a full set of dress clothes. It’s just about right for picking up a few groceries. A few things sold me on this pack that I enjoy. One is the mesh trampoline on the back that keeps the pack itself off your back for a significantly less sweaty back. The other is the hip belt pads that put a bit more weight bearing on your hips than back. The last is the couple of aluminum stays and back sheet for rigidity. One downside is the pack will tend to fall over if you set it down. It’s also not meant to be a cycling bag and won’t have things like a laptop sleeve, helmet carrier, shoe compartment, or rear light tab.
Old 01-21-20, 10:26 PM
Ken Wind
VOTE FOR KEN WIND

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
I have never understood the logic of using a pack. Panniers are the proper way to tote stuff to work, can anyone please explain to me why you want something on your back while you are riding? I have found that to be a most unpleasant experience.
My commute is just under a mile. I need to carry my work clothes, and I like to take the stairs up the sixth floor when I get there. After changing in a bathroom, all my riding clothes go in a backpack that gets stuffed in a locker. A backpack just makes it all so much easier and quicker. I was also rear-ended a few weeks ago, and the loaded backpack probably saved my back from serious injury. I've been using an Osprey Momentum 26 from for the last nine years, but the wreck finally blew out one of the side pockets. Time for a replacement! With that being said, I have some Ortlieb Back Roller Classic panniers that I love when I need to carry a lot of heavy stuff or get groceries. It's whatever works for the job at hand. Have you ever used a good cycling pack or messenger bag?
Old 01-24-20, 01:23 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
A backpack could save you from a broken spine if you endo? Maybe a little out there..lol
Old 01-25-20, 06:29 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I commute to work ( 2 miles ) with 15 inch mac & gym cloths ( not shoes but I guess they would fit ). I am very happy with my Bullet Ruck back pack.
Old 01-25-20, 07:30 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Last pack I used while commuting 30+ mi RT (retired now) was a Osprey Radial 26. I found this pack to be the most versatile. Really liked the "kickstand" feature ( backpack site up straight while you pack/unpack), raised of your back for cooling, comfortable straps, and storage organization.
Old 01-25-20, 07:37 PM
ryan786i

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Explore, 2011 Raleigh Cadent FT0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I've switched to a rack and pannier setup 100% because I just need to minimize the sweat, and now need to carry a change of clothes most days. My chosen commuting bag in a medium Timbuk2 messenger doesn't really help that. Were sweat not an issue and I didn't need to carry as much as I do, I'd still stick with the messneger. That ability to just be ready to go is something I definitely prefer, even as, yes, rack and pannier are definitely superior in an all around utility kind of way.