Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 03-20-20, 02:33 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I think he was saying his trainer reads 25w low relative to his power meter, not that he's losing power when riding indoors. I connect my quarq to zwift instead of my trainer for the same reason, though in my case I believe my trainer reads high.

Sprints yesterday. Up to 1197w peak / 1067 10sec. Was gonna ride outdoors today but alas, it is raining and a bit on the cooler side.
Do you use erg mode with this setup? If so, how well does it hold your target power? I've heard with the Kickr I can link the power meter directly to it via ant+ using the app, and then it will report the PM's power through Zwift but handle the power matching on its own. I may give that a shot

Impressive sprint numbers especially considering you're indoors. I'm always afraid I'll break something or fall over by trying to rock the bike too hard
Old 03-20-20, 02:47 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Oh, nope! I've been outdoors for the most part since late February! Sprints inside I'd be afraid of breaking stuff as well.

I haven't really used erg mode, but Zwift handles responsive terrain stuff as one would expect using my setup. Zwift seems to feed the trainer resistance change data based upon the power readings it is sent and the gradient it is simulating.
Old 03-20-20, 02:54 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Ah gotcha. I need to get outside and do some sprints soon, but I don't have a power meter on the Venge yet. Hoping the weight lifting and decrease in overall volume means some good things for my sprint power
Old 03-20-20, 02:58 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Yeah man it's pretty cool, I'm literally throwing 7 10-15sec sprints into the first hour of a ride. It does not matter what workout I did the day before, and it does not seem to affect the workout I do the day after. It has very little to no cost, basically no downside to it!
Old 03-21-20, 04:51 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Can you tell me why not a kickr for $200 less plus the cost of a cassette? I'm in over my head on this stuff and really can't parse out what I need or even would want.Or how any of them are significantly different from one another.

I'm half tempted to just figure out how to get my e-motions set up so I can ride dumb with power from my SRM
Old 03-21-20, 09:19 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Can you tell me why not a kickr for $200 less plus the cost of a cassette? I'm in over my head on this stuff and really can't parse out what I need or even would want.Or how any of them are significantly different from one another.

I'm half tempted to just figure out how to get my e-motions set up so I can ride dumb with power from my SRM
It shouldn't be an issue connecting your SRM to whatever app you want to use, provided your media device can receive the SRM's (bt?) input.

DC Rainmaker and GP Lama (though his review page is outdated, youtube reviews are great) are probably the 2 people to use.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/10/...2019-2020.html

Ultimately the NEO 1 and 2 trainers were usually the trainer I turn to when I’m not testing other trainers. It’s my go-to. And for good reason: It requires no calibration, it’s really damn accurate, and it just works. Oh, and it vibrates. Everyone likes good vibrations. Technically they’re cobblestones or what-not on Zwift, but you get the point.
Kicker:
Now here’s the thing. I consider both of these top two options somewhat equal, albeit at different price points and for different people. If you’re planning on buying the KICKR CLIMB, then obviously, get a Wahoo unit. The CLIMB doesn’t work with non-Wahoo trainers. But yes, the CLIMB is fun to ride.
Personally, I don't think you'd go wrong getting the top end Elite, Tacx, Wahoo, or Saris. The important thing is Direct Drive (because wheel on slips, kills tires, and is less responsive), 3rd party control (so you can use Trainer Road or Zwift), Resistance Control (ERG Mode), and Power Accuracy. You can use your PM with but its better to use the units because it is plugged in and eventually using 2 separate devices will screw up a ride.

I almost got the Wahoo, but in the end I got the Neo because down the road I'd regret not getting it. That being said, I may go with the Wahoo these days because of this new contraption:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPgT...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-21-20, 09:24 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Both Kickr and Neo are apparently very quiet since they aren't belt drive, and they both are supposed to have pretty accurate "road feel." I think the Neo is considered more reliable, but my understanding is Kickr fixed the issues they were having when they rolled out their 2019 model. I'd go with whatever is cheaper.
Old 03-21-20, 09:56 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Thanks!

Dollars to doughnuts the wahoo is cheaper. $200 plus a cassette.
Old 03-21-20, 10:43 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Went out without a plan and snagged a few KOM’s. Still have a decent amount of power for not really riding for the last few weeks.

I discovered that the road to one of the larger state parks in my area was almost a solid line of cars. People are socially distancing to all of the same areas, it seems.
Old 03-22-20, 06:50 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
I discovered that the road to one of the larger state parks in my area was almost a solid line of cars. People are socially distancing to all of the same areas, it seems.
Lol I was out riding solo on the road yesterday. Traffic was light but still I thought to myself: $hit happens with cars, I don’t want to get hit and tie up valuable medical resources, the ‘right’ thing is to get onto the safe-from-cars bikepath.

Jeez the bikepaths were filled with a never ending legion of clueless people. My favorite was the girl on a beach cruiser not paying attention to her chihuahua on a 15 foot leash while she wobbled along trying to take a selfie.

Right now the bikepaths are riskier than the roads actually. Apparently the local trails are too, so even mountain biking is not safe!
Likes For Heathpack:
Old 03-22-20, 06:59 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

"I know better, but I'm going to go out anyway."

A couple of years ago my teammate was out solo. He crashed. No one knows how, He broke his neck and died.

Here, yesterday: " Forest ranger Scott Van Laer has tweeted that there is a search on Mount Marcy taking place today."

This is why you're suppose to stay home. If you get hurt hospitals are only doing emergency surgeries, one would be taking up hospital and/or emergency resources that could otherwise be used. And people are coming together in a way that could encourage the spread of the virus.
Old 03-22-20, 07:16 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

A couple of years ago my teammate was out solo. He crashed. No one knows how, He broke his neck and died.

Here, yesterday: " Forest ranger Scott Van Laer has tweeted that there is a search on Mount Marcy taking place today."

This is why you're suppose to stay home. If you get hurt hospitals are only doing emergency surgeries, one would be taking up hospital and/or emergency resources that could otherwise be used. And people are coming together in a way that could encourage the spread of the virus.
I’m not sure if this is directed at me but I don’t entirely disagree with you. We just got our most restrictive lock down order yesterday from LA County to basically be shelter in place. Although it still specifically states that solo or family outdoor activity including cycling is ok. I think the public health department is trying to keep people mentally well. But I had a “nothing” crash last summer- nothing happened, was with friends, and I tied up a hospital bed for a day.

And “I want” to ride of course.

The “I wants” is the crux of the problem for Western societies. We are so focused on the individual in the west that it’s hard to retool our brains to understand that right now the priority must be on the group (aka the population) over the individual. It’s no longer about what “I want” and is about “what is best for the overall population”.

Sigh. All those delicious quiet open roads that are so lush and green right now...
Old 03-22-20, 08:07 AM
Cypress

Me? Save from being hit by a car on mostly empty roads, I don’t foresee myself taking enough risks to end up in a hospital right now. Sorry to hear about your teammate, but I’m struggling to apply that to anything I said.
Old 03-22-20, 08:24 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

everyone

oy. i'm not getting into an internet war with anyone. save it. we've spent the whole weekend chasing protective wear for my wife's hospitals.

check your local stray at home orders, but generally they want people home. there's more ways to get hurt than getting hit by a car.
Old 03-22-20, 09:38 AM
Cypress

everyone

oy. i'm not getting into an internet war with anyone. save it. we've spent the whole weekend chasing protective wear for my wife's hospitals.

check your local stray at home orders, but generally they want people home. there's more ways to get hurt than getting hit by a car.
We have no shelter in place orders. I’ll chalk any irritability to being cooped up and stressed about localized burdens.
Old 03-22-20, 09:48 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

not irritable in the least. projecting, perhaps.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 03-22-20, 10:15 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I could be cooped up here training indoors forever #love

3 hours on the bike
1 hour yoga

Likes For gsteinb:
Old 03-22-20, 02:04 PM
furiousferret

My uncle in law had a stroke last night in Sacramento. It was serious, and he was kept in the ambulance for 90 minutes because they didn't have a place to put him. So if they're doing that to patients with serious medical issues, I wouldn't want to break a collarbone or some ribs right now.
Old 03-22-20, 03:15 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

how's he doing? that's terrible
Old 03-22-20, 03:21 PM
furiousferret

He hasn't been doing well for a few years, so I'm not sure he's going to make it through =\
Old 03-22-20, 03:45 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

really sorry. That's awful. My heart goes out to your family.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 03-22-20, 04:32 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Really sorry furiousferrett. I wish the best for your uncle in law and your whole family. Take care.
Likes For cmh:
Old 03-22-20, 05:20 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Sorry furiousferrtet. That's awful
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 03-22-20, 05:32 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
Furiousferret So sorry to hear about uncle in law.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-22-20, 05:46 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by furiousferret
My uncle in law had a stroke last night in Sacramento. It was serious, and he was kept in the ambulance for 90 minutes because they didn't have a place to put him. So if they're doing that to patients with serious medical issues, I wouldn't want to break a collarbone or some ribs right now.
Likes For Heathpack:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.