Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

EZ Sport Question

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

EZ Sport Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-20, 11:31 AM
Irishred

Bikes: Tour Easy; Salsa Marrakesh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts
EZ Sport Question

What's the widest tire I can put on an EZ Sport recumbent?
Old 05-30-20, 12:48 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
OEM tires are Kenda Kwest 1.5" tires. Check how much space you have between the side of the tire and the fork. Can you get a wider tire between the OEM Avid SD-5 brakes? Those two are probably going to be what limits how wide a tire you can use.
Old 05-31-20, 03:47 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
What are you trying to achieve with a wider tire? bk
Old 05-31-20, 09:41 PM
Irishred

I'm going to ride off-road bike trails on mostly hard dirt...no technical stuff. I'm too old for that
Old 06-03-20, 05:14 AM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Bikes: 88 Peugot US Express, 2019 Bachetta Bella, 2023 Catrike Dumont, 2001 Trek 520 Slate Pearl, MayaCycle Trailer, 2104 Trek Domane, Sun EZ Sport Recumbent

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have 1.75 tires on mine with plenty of room for the fenders. Could possibly go wider on the frame, but the brakes are good now - no need to take them any wider.
Old 06-03-20, 03:15 PM
Irishred

I'd like to go to 2" to go off-road, but concerned about the fender tab. I'm not putting fenders on it.
Whatdayathink?
Old 06-03-20, 03:56 PM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Bikes: 88 Peugot US Express, 2019 Bachetta Bella, 2023 Catrike Dumont, 2001 Trek 520 Slate Pearl, MayaCycle Trailer, 2104 Trek Domane, Sun EZ Sport Recumbent

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Irishred
I'd like to go to 2" to go off-road, but concerned about the fender tab. I'm not putting fenders on it.
Whatdayathink?
Don't thing you will have an issue with the clearance. I have fenders on mine and I have a good half inch clearance between the wheel and the fender....all the way around. My concern would be the brakes reaching around the fatter tire. I am away from my bike, but I will snap another picture of the fender and the breaks later tonight.
Old 06-03-20, 03:58 PM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question, you had any issues with sore butt / blisters on these seats? Trying to find if there is a solution for longer miles without sore butt syndrome.
Old 06-03-20, 05:00 PM
Irishred

Well actually I went to an upholstery shop and bought a two inch thick piece of foam rubber larger than the seat area then trimmed it down to the form of the seat. I used a razor blade. It works really well but does stretch the seat cover a bit...it's very giving. What the pain is commonly referred to is "RECUMBENT BUTT" which mostly newer riders experience. It usually does go away once you have ridden a few hundred miles or so (not all on one ride of course) on your bent.
Old 06-03-20, 07:40 PM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Front Wheel Clearance between the wheel and fender

Plenty of room between the brake levers and the tire. Note the clearance on the fork.
Old 06-03-20, 07:43 PM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Plenty of clearance between fender mount area and wheel - 1.75"

Clearance between frame and brake levers - plenty of room
Old 06-03-20, 07:51 PM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Irishred
Well actually I went to an upholstery shop and bought a two inch thick piece of foam rubber larger than the seat area then trimmed it down to the form of the seat. I used a razor blade. It works really well but does stretch the seat cover a bit...it's very giving. What the pain is commonly referred to is "RECUMBENT BUTT" which mostly newer riders experience. It usually does go away once you have ridden a few hundred miles or so (not all on one ride of course) on your bent.
Thanks for the input. Seems my seat has plenty of padding...maybe too much. I am used to a Brooks saddle on two of my DF bikes. Got this EZ Sport to help alleviate some wrist pain and trying to build up some leg and butt longevity. On the rear end, I seem to be getting blisters due to the peddling action and my rear end rubbing. I am trying different riding shorts and compression shorts. Have not come up with the right forumla yet. Love this new recumbent and want it to be my long distance rando ride or touring bike.

As far as the original question, I took some pictures and posted them for your review. I do not think you will have any issue with 2" tires, especially if you are not using fenders. Shucks, I think you could still mount fenders and the 2" tires. Hope the pictures helped in your search. Let me know how the rail trail rides go.
Old 06-03-20, 09:06 PM
Irishred

Thanks for the great pics. Yes, I'll keep you posted on the off-road thing and tires. It may be a few weeks before I get the tires.
Good luck with your seat.
Old 06-14-20, 07:05 PM
Irishred

OK I mounted a 1.95 Kenda on the rear and 1.75 Kenda on the front of the EZ Sport with plenty of space left for 2" before the snow comes this winter. Off road on dirt trail was a blast. Jiggled my giblets though (:

Last edited by Irishred; 06-14-20 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling.
Old 06-15-20, 12:41 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Here's a set of tires that might work for you and not be "too wide", https://www.schwalbetires.com/Marathon-GT-365

Old 06-15-20, 01:18 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Blisters usually imply moisture and chafing. Is there a moisture management problem, Fullcount? If so, you may want to replace your seat cover. A lot of recumbent riders just use plain street clothes; one thing they like about recumbents is that you don't need padded shorts.

The first thing to try for recumbent butt is, if possible, to recline the seat a notch.