Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Living with A-Fib

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-20, 02:03 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Living with A-Fib

Well, I spent some time in a hospital last week with atrial fibrillation. I first thought my shallow breathing may have been a Covid symptom and was tested for that - negative. My first entry into dealing with whatever I had was not very focused so I walked away from it and hooked up with a good cardiologist on the recommendation of a friend.

I don't live my life like I'm a triathlete but the Dr. was surprised it was happening to me given my level of activity and age (early 50s). I'm a die-hard bike commuter in a region that doesn't have "seasons" so I may have been riding too much, too long - averaging ~150 miles per week. I did come to find there is a history of it on my mother's side of the family.

After being stabilized by meds and a cardioversion I've been resting at home. I have a follow-up appointment in a couple weeks, at which time I'll probably receive some info on what I can engage in.

Any other A-Fibbers out there?
Old 06-22-20, 07:22 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I get occasional arrhythmia. Docs haven't said it's anything to worry about. Seems to correspond with my occasional migraines. A small as-needed dose of a beta blocker helps with both.
Old 06-22-20, 09:13 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Yep, I've had it for about 10 years. I take Flecainide twice a day and Metoprolol at bedtime for it and it's well under control. I know other people who've needed pacemakers and ablation with varying levels of success. I still ride plenty though not as much as you do. The doctors say I have nothing to worry about and I really have no side effects from the medications.
Old 06-23-20, 09:33 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Go back out to the Pills and Ills subforum page. Over on the right at the top of the forum is "Search this forum." Click "advanced search" and enter "Afib." You question is thereby answered.
Old 06-24-20, 03:29 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I am the youngest in my family and the only one who has not dealt with this issue. I have been checked by a cardiologist but was told I was ok. I will soon be 66 and occasionally I am just sitting in my recliner and my Apple Watch gives me a notice that my heart rate is like 120. This is usually after a long day at work. Riding my bike up hills and flat out at a rapid cadence is never a problem even after 40 miles. I live on top of a hill so the last 3 blocks are brutally steep. I showed my Dr. my heart rate under physical load and he said my heart is fine, I don’t get a high heart rate often enough to be too concerned as my resting heart rate is around 50 or so due to the amount of exercise I get. I have low blood pressure for my age. My parents both died of heart disease and my 2 brothers and my sister have all had surgery for a fib.
Old 06-24-20, 12:02 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
...occasionally I am just sitting in my recliner and my Apple Watch gives me a notice that my heart rate is like 120.
That is one of the weird things about AFib. I can totally feel it when bouts occur. The cardiologist tells me this is unusual and that most people don't realize they have it. I have confirmed this with several friends who have it and can't feel it. Luckily the meds I take have it well under control. Sometimes if I do a very long, hard ride in hot weather and drink something very cold afterwards that will trigger it but it hasn't happened this season anyway.
Old 06-27-20, 05:58 AM
3Roch

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
here ya go...

https://electrophysiology.onlinejacc...9/921.full.pdf
Old 06-28-20, 03:02 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
Living with A-Fib

I had A Fib for several years. Mine was a little more rare type. It would happen when I was riding close to my max heart rate of 162 bpm. My heart rate would jump to 220 bpm and would stay there until I soft pedaled several strokes. It happened in TT's and in group rides when off the front with a small group. I fainted on the bike twice but by the time I got to the hospital the heart was normal and they didn't suspect arrhythmia . I finally saw it on the heart rate monitor and was sent to a cardiologist. I have had ablations on three occasions and they have allowed me to get back to cycling. My current Electrophysiologist/ Cardiologist wants me on the bike and allows me to ride as hard and as long as I wish. I do take Fleccainide twice a day and an anti-coagulant. I am happy though that my heart is structurally at 100%.
Old 09-27-20, 08:39 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Not an A-fibber but had a heart attack

Originally Posted by Eric S.
Well, I spent some time in a hospital last week with atrial fibrillation. I first thought my shallow breathing may have been a Covid symptom and was tested for that - negative. My first entry into dealing with whatever I had was not very focused so I walked away from it and hooked up with a good cardiologist on the recommendation of a friend.

I don't live my life like I'm a triathlete but the Dr. was surprised it was happening to me given my level of activity and age (early 50s). I'm a die-hard bike commuter in a region that doesn't have "seasons" so I may have been riding too much, too long - averaging ~150 miles per week. I did come to find there is a history of it on my mother's side of the family.

After being stabilized by meds and a cardioversion I've been resting at home. I have a follow-up appointment in a couple weeks, at which time I'll probably receive some info on what I can engage in.

Any other A-Fibbers out there?

I had a takosubo cardiomyopathy in 2018. I don't remember having it. I didn't go to the hospital for about two after I started getting symptoms (water retention, fatigue, weakness, and high blood pressure.) I finally crawled my way to the hospital and I was at deaths door. I also developed kidney disease because I didn't go to the hospital sooner. I also develop a blood clot the size of a half dollar, in my right ventricle. While in the hospital I developed a stomach bleed after they put me on blood thinners. It was so bad that I had to have the nurses help me off of the toilet. The next day I got a blood transfusion and then had two stomach ulcers stapled. I also had a series of micro strokes because the blood clot in my heart broke off and traveled to my brain...they said it didn't do much damage because I was young (48 is young?) I spent a total of 19 days in the hospital. Two weeks the first go around and 5 day after they discovered the blood clots in my brain. I was riding my bicycle from the train station to the hospital the week after I was let out, the second time. I was pissed because I couldn't complete the ride from the train station to the hospital, because it was an incline and I couldn't get all of the way there. I didn't have a proper respect for my condition.

Long story short. I credit riding my bike around DTLA, with saving my life. I would've probably bought the farm if it wasn't for me riding around on bike. That's good news for you. I have done some things to improve my health since what I call "God's gut check."

1. If you're on medication, then take your meds as prescribed and take them everyday.

2. Start taking Coq10. It works wonders for the heart. I've been taking it for almost two years.

3. Prenatal multivitamins. Prenatal vitamins are more potent than the standard vitamins.

4. Take a multimineral vitamin.

5. Capsacum aka cayenne pepper supplements. Capsacum works wonders for the heart and can stop a heart attack dead in its tracks when taking during a heart attack. They make capsacum capsules that don't burn the stomach.

6. Garlic supplements.

7. Change your diet. I am doing Keto...not so much right now, but its good for overall health.

8. Take it slowly, but don't sit around too much. Get up and move around. Take a small walk to begin with. Ride your bicycle but take it slowly and don't be so rash, like I was.

You're going to be fine. I've had brain tumors, almost died in 98 from that, still rode my bikes, survived alcoholism, homelessness, and the latest near death experience in 2018. Ride on!
Old 10-03-20, 04:19 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Got a pacer almost 3 months ago because of both brady- and tachycardia. After 7 weeks on the pacer, my cardiologist said it reported a-fib. He recommended Xarelto, with Plavix as 2nd choice. I accepted the Xarelto reco. It's a scary drug, since it increases the risk of a hemorrhagic strokes, but it significantly reduces the risk of ischemic strokes.
Old 10-03-20, 06:26 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Appreciate the responses. I hadn't come back to this thread after the comment saying there is already plenty of discussion to view here.

I had an echocardiogram on Sept. 8 and met with the cardiologist a couple days later. He said normal heart "capacity" is 55-70% and I was at 60% so all is good. The only prescription I'm staying on is metoprolol (beta blocker) once per day. My next check-up is in March 2021.
Old 10-04-20, 06:59 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric S.
Appreciate the responses. I hadn't come back to this thread after the comment saying there is already plenty of discussion to view here.

I had an echocardiogram on Sept. 8 and met with the cardiologist a couple days later. He said normal heart "capacity" is 55-70% and I was at 60% so all is good. The only prescription I'm staying on is metoprolol (beta blocker) once per day. My next check-up is in March 2021.
Excellent!!! They have you on a 6 month follow up, and that's a good sign IMHO. I would urge to do your own research in regards to supplements, and especially CoQ10. Here's an article on the benefits of Coq10. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...C_TITLE_HDR_10
Old 10-04-20, 07:16 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I had an AFIF caused by and Electrical Problem with my Heart beat,
All my valves are good.

The Cure was procedure called PVA. It worked for me.
Look it up on Google.