Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Getting past the butt pain...? (Longer rides)

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-16, 06:30 PM
sen2two
ROOKIE!!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ride to work twice a week right now. 23 miles each way. And once in the morning on the weekend. Which will either be a 30 mile ride or a 46 mile ride. Depending on the amount of time I have. So I basically get 5 decent rides in a week.

My butt starts to hurt at anything over 30 miles. But dosn't get annoying to the 50 mile mark. But when I ride to work and back, it hurts the whole ride home. Something about riding twice in a day that makes the second ride uncomfortable. I always wear bike shorts and my seat is decently comfortable. The bike hasn't been "professionally" fit. But I feel I fit it pretty well myself.

Do I just need more time in the saddle to build up butt strength? Lol.... I really don't want to use the lotion or creams. I feel like they would bother me even more.

I want to start doing some longer rides. Hopefully 100+ miles. I want to do some 3-4 day 100+ mile a day tours as well. Most likely with a 3 hour break mid day. So I'm curious how can I ease this portion of the challenge. Thicker padded bike shorts? Super expensive seat? Sell my couch and just sit on pine cones?
Old 05-18-16, 06:56 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
If you have commuted a few times a week for 23 miles one way for a few months or more and still have butt pain, you really should start checking out other saddles. If you are close to a large bike shop with a good selection, try to find the most knowledgeable sales person they have. If you are there when they are not too busy, that is even better - avoid busy times on weekends.

And, ask him or her to assess how you look on the bike, is your saddle too high or low (most likely it is fine if you do not have knee pain) and if the saddle is to far forward or too far back.

If you want to try a leather saddle, Walbike has a good return policy if it does not work out, check them out. I have never bought from them, so I can't answer questions on how it works, I am only citing what I have heard on their return policy.
wallbike.com | Wallingford Bike Parts
Old 05-18-16, 09:22 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Using what saddle? I find a lot of saddles are OK for 30-50 miles but painful on longer rides. Most comfy saddles were cheap sport-touring saddles that were narrow enough but included decent cushion.
Old 05-19-16, 06:34 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
23 miles each way, that's quite a commute!

How long have you been doing this? If you're relatively new to riding, there may be some conditioning that you just don't have yet.

I can't say what's wrong, but if it's not a matter of conditioning, then it's a matter of setup (which includes the saddle and the shorts). I think it takes new cyclists a while to figure out what a good fit feels like and what "comfort" means when on the bike, and what works for each individual. I mean, I know most cyclists wear "bike shorts" and believe in them. But my regular work pants and a hard leather saddle are best for me on my commute as well as when doing long distance rides or tours. I've never found bike-specific pants that make my ride better. So... sadly, I suggest you're going to have to figure it out for yourself. Change something; see how it feels. If that doesn't help, change something else. Keep trying, and... good luck!
Old 05-19-16, 07:20 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
...my regular work pants and a hard leather saddle are best for me on my commute as well as when doing long distance rides or tours. I've never found bike-specific pants that make my ride better...
This….Works for me. Commuting, recreational rides, long days in the saddle touring, and even longer days riding a pedicab. Proper fit, hard leather saddle, regular pants or shorts. G'luck !
Old 05-19-16, 11:58 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
My commute from home is similar to yours (~24 miles). I also only do it 2 to 3 times a week during spring to fall. Have you measured your sit bones (ischial tuberosities)? Maybe try sitting on a sheet of tinfoil on a stair or chair with very little or no padding. Once you know the distance in mm, then it will help you select the saddle width (add about 20mm more). In general, do you feel your sit bones engaging the padding when you slide back on the saddle? I feel that on mine and have a relatively flat wider saddle with a cutout. I actually stole my wife's saddle and kept using it. So I'd guess I'd need around a 140mm saddle width (the Terry Butterfly that I have is actually wider I think). I used to use Concor and Selle Turbo saddles in the past. But had pereneum pressure issues (like pain and the little guy going numb) in the past. Wider saddle made a big difference for me.
Old 05-19-16, 12:30 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by sen2two
Do I just need more time in the saddle to build up butt strength? Lol.... I really don't want to use the lotion or creams. I feel like they would bother me even more.
You may laugh, but actually you do "build up butt strength" with time. If you ride enough mileage, soon it will be pretty much shoe leather down there...

I agree you should measure your sitbones.

If you're new to riding that kind of mileage, you'll probably toughen up, but if your saddle doesn't fit, you will always have problems. Consider trying a different one. Doesn't have to be expensive. I recall people used to ride 500/wk on the old Turbo saddles with no problems, but it depends on if it fits you. More cushion in saddles doesn't really help over long distances.

Sometimes better shorts are better.

Also, reconsider the use of a small amount of chamois cream.
Old 05-19-16, 12:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Touring? Cut your self some slack, get off the bike every couple hours and walk around a little .

stop for snacks or something.. It's Not a Race.
Old 05-19-16, 12:59 PM
Colannon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
routinely move your seat and stem. i enjoy moving my seat and stem. i feel totally different.
Old 05-19-16, 02:49 PM
Timequake

Bikes: 1982 Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first started riding 20+ miles at a time, I would bring along the necessary tools to do saddle adjustments while riding. That helped a bit. I did a 65 mile ride, my butt was really sore for a few days, then it toughened up and I rarely have had pain since then. It'll get better with time.
Old 05-19-16, 09:37 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Putting in the miles helps toughen the backside, but how to tell if one just needs more miles or the saddle just doesn't fit well (assuming one has already checked sit-bone width)? Lots of tourists don't have much time for all-day training rides, after all. Anyway I'd think about either a leather saddle or a plastic touring saddle with at least moderate amount of padding. Worst saddle pain was with a Selle San Marco Regal; I ignored posters who said it was hard as a rock & on a century ride it hurt a bunch. Leather is ideal if it fits with built-in suspension yet smooth surface that doesn't cause chafing.
Old 05-20-16, 04:30 AM
Colannon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Putting in the miles helps toughen the backside, but how to tell if one just needs more miles or the saddle just doesn't fit well (assuming one has already checked sit-bone width)? Lots of tourists don't have much time for all-day training rides, after all. Anyway I'd think about either a leather saddle or a plastic touring saddle with at least moderate amount of padding. Worst saddle pain was with a Selle San Marco Regal; I ignored posters who said it was hard as a rock & on a century ride it hurt a bunch. Leather is ideal if it fits with built-in suspension yet smooth surface that doesn't cause chafing.
if something is rubbing on your leg or your butt, they it is in the wrong position. you move your legs thousands of times, so its good to change things.
Old 05-23-16, 05:13 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by sen2two
I ride to work twice a week right now. 23 miles each way. And once in the morning on the weekend. Which will either be a 30 mile ride or a 46 mile ride. Depending on the amount of time I have. So I basically get 5 decent rides in a week.

My butt starts to hurt at anything over 30 miles. But dosn't get annoying to the 50 mile mark. But when I ride to work and back, it hurts the whole ride home. Something about riding twice in a day that makes the second ride uncomfortable. I always wear bike shorts and my seat is decently comfortable. The bike hasn't been "professionally" fit. But I feel I fit it pretty well myself.

I want to start doing some longer rides. Hopefully 100+ miles. I want to do some 3-4 day 100+ mile a day tours as well. Most likely with a 3 hour break mid day. So I'm curious how can I ease this portion of the challenge. Thicker padded bike shorts? Super expensive seat? Sell my couch and just sit on pine cones?

Can you post a photo of your bicycle?

What kind of bicycle is it?

Are your handlebars higher than your saddle?

What hurts?
Old 05-23-16, 07:08 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I'd say wrong width saddle.
Old 05-25-16, 06:37 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I'd say wrong width saddle.
I agree.
Old 05-25-16, 06:55 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I was getting butt pain about 300km into my recent 400k. Then I would readjust my seating position and it would go away. I tend to ride too far back on the saddle, so I suppose it's like having the wrong width saddle
Old 05-25-16, 09:48 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I was getting butt pain about 300km into my recent 400k. Then I would readjust my seating position and it would go away. I tend to ride too far back on the saddle, so I suppose it's like having the wrong width saddle
Maybe you might like your saddle farther back on the seatpost? Worse case could try a different seatpost with some setback if there's not enough wiggle room already. I like to slide back on the saddle when climbing hills. But I only use it on those times or sparingly otherwise. So I guess the fore-aft is ok for me.