Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting to work and stench

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 10-25-19, 07:00 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts

How do you commuters handle cleaning up and smelling good when you get to work on those hot days?
Old 10-25-19, 07:32 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
How do you commuters handle cleaning up and smelling good when you get to work on those hot days?
A shower at the office. Ride in cycling clothes, take a shower, change to office clothes. Hang your cycling clothes to dry. Change back before riding back home.

If you don't have a shower room at the office - sign up for the most basic membership at the local gym by the office, arrive there, take a shower, change clothes there and walk the bike to the office.
Old 10-25-19, 08:01 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Gym by work. I did not think of that angle.
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 10-25-19, 08:03 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
E-bike
Old 10-25-19, 08:20 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Cycling takes less energy than walking and the breeze from the higher speed cools you. Upright bikes help a lot -- so do short sleeve dress shirts and loosening one's tie.
Old 10-25-19, 08:21 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Sweat doesn't stink. I always tried to start the commute to work as clean as possible. (And used antiperspirant/deodorant.) Changed into clean work clothes on arrival.
Old 10-25-19, 11:38 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Shower at home, quick ride to work, baby wipes at work.
Likes For Machka:
Old 10-26-19, 02:42 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
One word: wipes.

You only really need a shower if you're the sort that gets muddy, dirty, or drenched in sweat. Otherwise you just have to worry about the critical zones to avoid any odor. I'm fortunate in that I don't sweat a lot, but I've always been lucky enough to work at locations where they had showers. In one case, where they didn't, I signed up at a gym that was believe it or not, right across the street frrom my workplace.

Other than that, I'd use a baggie with a towel soaked in my own mild disinfectant mix, and there's always a bathroom. Just look for the low traffic bathroom. Or if you're lucky, make friends with the custodian, and get to use the storage room and sink.
Originally Posted by JanMM
Sweat doesn't stink. I always tried to start the commute to work as clean as possible. (And used antiperspirant/deodorant.) Changed into clean work clothes on arrival.
No it doesn't. But the bacteria that is always present on your skin mixed with it does.

Last edited by KraneXL; 10-28-19 at 03:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-26-19, 03:41 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
The bacteria doesn't stink either - it's the bacteria's waste product, which means that it takes some time for the bacteria and waste to build up enough. Just wiping off and wearing laundered clothes prevents the body odor.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 10-26-19, 04:30 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
A shower at the office. Ride in cycling clothes, take a shower, change to office clothes. Hang your cycling clothes to dry. Change back before riding back home….
Originally Posted by Machka
I enjoy the ideal situation as described by @AndreyT. I cycle commute for fitness, so sweat is expected. Often I don’t have time for a full shower so I do the routine as described by @Machka, even after a hard ride, with my own variation:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Commuting and sweat and body odor"

I have shower facilities and can store clean clothes at work, though usually I wear scrub shirts and pants, I don’t have much close interaction with staff, and they would let me know if I offended. But here’s my unique contribution.

I shower in the evening or the morning before the ride, and as my deodorant I use 91% rubbing alcohol. This is used to clean the skin prior to drawing blood and is an effective bactericide. It leaves no scent and evaporates quickly and refreshingly. It can also be used to clean “down there” to prevent lesions from the saddle.

If I have to wear regular clothes though, I always want to take a shower.
Deodorant alternatives

…You can carry a small amount as needed for any trip and just apply it with a cloth or paper towel. There are ladies at my job who would let me know if it didn't work, and I've not had any complaints in years.
Originally Posted by wgscott
It's their problem, not mine. They should be happy I don't take a crap in their cowboy boots.
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Alcohol, especially in high concentration, will dry out the skin badly with repeated topical use
Originally Posted by noglider
All of these tips are very good. But I would recommend against alcohol.

If you use it, try witch hazel. It has the same drying and cooling effect, but it doesn't dry your skin. Sometimes I put it on when I'm at home just to cool off, as we don't have A/C at home. It works great.
Can I just use it until I need glasses?

[old joke...if you keep pleasuring yourself, you'll go blind...]
Old 10-26-19, 04:41 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
Cycling takes less energy than walking and the breeze from the higher speed cools you. Upright bikes help a lot -- so do short sleeve dress shirts and loosening one's tie.
I have posted on this thread,
Keepin' Cool on the Commute”

When I ride, I ride hard, especially on my minimal 14 mile commute for fitness. I do not necessarily need to be pristine at work, and with a pre-ride early morning shower, I’m fine. But if I have to wear nice clothes, I really prefer to fully shower, even after a brief slow ride.

However I have one circumstance where riding as you describe is best. Every June I attend a conference about two miles from my home, for which I dress nicely, and walk there [since I don't like to leave my bike unattended, even with a lock].

I recently found though, that if I pick up a heavy duty Hubway Bike Share bike, and ride (slowly), the early morning breeze of the ride itself keeps me cooler than on the walk on a warm June morning, and I get there faster.
Old 10-26-19, 04:50 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
There is a sub forum devoted to commuting. Please ask a mod to move this thread to the appropriate place.
Old 10-26-19, 04:56 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,560 Times in 3,763 Posts
Thread moved from General Cycling to Commuting.
Old 10-26-19, 10:18 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Yep. Just to expand a bit, check your email until the sweat is almost dry, then duck into the handicap stall, wip down, put on clean clothes. Mild-mannered cyclist steps into restroom, out steps Super-[fill in your job title here].

Of course, in the most of the northern hemisphere, you won't have to worry about sweating on the bike for another six months.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-26-19, 10:52 AM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
It gets hot and humid here. I am lucky enough to have a bathroom at the end of the hall with a shower. I started using that. I'm not generally a super sweaty person, but you just can't avoid it here. I carry a minimal shower kit, deodorant, and cologne. Without a shower, I'd probably wait until the worst sweating stops, use wipes, and put on deodorant.
Old 10-26-19, 11:12 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Essential oils.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-26-19, 11:23 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I keep a big bottle of witch hazel, some paper towels, a bar of Dial Gold, and a bottle of gender-neutral, non-offensive body deodorant at work. I also wear bike clothes and change - the bike clothes actually dry out while I'm at work (in Alabama, I literally had a cotton shirt grow mold during the work day.)

Normal sweaty days involve a quick wipe-down with the witch hazel - it kills the stench pretty well, doesn't overly dry skin, and has a nice cooling sensation. (FWIW, it's also a main ingredient in a bunch of natural body deodorants as well as Tucks pads.). Extra sweaty days involve a trip to the bathroom to wash face, armpits, and hands with the Dial Gold Bar. If America's favorite toxic antibacterial soap is still too mild, Hibiclens will get the job done.

I don't play around on my rides to work - it's a workout - and my body likes to produce a smell that resembles male cat spray. This strategy has worked for me on some longer (8-10 mile one way) commutes in delightful places like Alabama and North Carolina.

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Yep. Just to expand a bit, check your email until the sweat is almost dry, then duck into the handicap stall, wip down, put on clean clothes. Mild-mannered cyclist steps into restroom, out steps Super-[fill in your job title here].

Of course, in the most of the northern hemisphere, you won't have to worry about sweating on the bike for another six months.
+1 on checking e-mail during the post-sweat. I'd forgotten about that when I first moved back south. Nothing like trying to slide into a sweater with sweat still pouring out.

And yeah, I don't know about y'all, but the AC is still running at my house.
Old 10-27-19, 10:32 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
I'm glad at least one other person knows the value of witch hazel!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 10-27-19, 08:01 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
A colleague of mine developed a product called "Paper Shower". This might be of use to some commuters.
Availability
Old 10-28-19, 08:26 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Wet Wipes and clean clothes to change into at work.
Old 10-28-19, 11:28 AM
mojojojo

Bikes: breezer greenway, mercier corvus, stache 8, diamondback trail bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have done the shower and ride method and it worked. I kept baby wipes and whatnot but really didn't need them, just deodorant on hot days. Now, I have a gym nearby and I shower there.
Old 10-30-19, 02:45 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
what I try to do is, wash myself regularly & use unscented deodorant like Uncle Tom's. I remember a time many years ago I struggled with underarm odor & not from just cycling. there were times where even during a shower I could still tell more work had to be done. I tried everything in the shower, all the soaps. the killer cure was a dab of toothpaste on a washcloth. be careful tho it can sting. mix it with some other soap. you can also stop up the tub & turn the shower into a bath & wash the under arms with a soapy washcloth under water. another thing I do periodically (twice a year?) is reduce the amount of hair under my arms. I don't mean shaving, I mean combing it & trimming it w/ scissors. I think the less hair there is the less of "anything" will accumulate.

also check your clothes. I wash mine after every use. I try not to let it sit for days before washing because then "stuff" sets in. I think I remember a time when, even tho I was clean & my shirt didn't smell, shortly after wearing it, I started to smell. I think warming up the shirt re-activated the microbes? so I keep after that & I wear liners, aka base layers, aka undershirts just about all the time. it's cheaper to toss those or use them as rags & they help preserve my better shirts

if, like me, you have no shower at work but do have a private bathroom, shower before leaving home, then at the office you can use a washcloth & soap at a sink. I sweat a lot & this summer I was reminded how smart it is to shower at home because at work I didn't require too much soapy washcloth. just get it good & wet w/ a dilute bad of body wash or any soap & squeeze it dry so it's just damp. wipes don't cut it for me. it's so easy to use soap, water & washcloth. & because my hair is thinning, it's best for me to do a quick sink hair wash & rinse with diluted shampoo with a big plastic cup, cuz then it fluffs better. helps to stash a small towel in an office drawer!

here's my "kit"

it helps to arrive before anyone else, so you can get the routine over with, without raising any eyebrows, or whatever

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-31-19 at 06:56 AM.