Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bontrager Node 2.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bontrager Node 2.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-12, 12:18 PM
busygizmo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Bontrager Node 2.1

Based on a little research and recommendations from here I'm looking to get one of these.

Looking for any feedback, positive or negative about these units.

Thanks
Old 05-29-12, 01:56 PM
ArchEtech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I haven't had issues with mine. They aren't cheap but they work well particularly if you have a madone and built in duo trap.
Old 05-29-12, 02:06 PM
mocolotion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got the Node 2 and it's been on the fritz for the past couple of rides, i.e. returning really erratic speed readings. I put new batteries in both the head unit and the speed/cadence sensor and it didn't rectify the problem, however about 2/3 of the way through my last ride it started reading seemingly correctly. Prior to apparently fixing itself it would return speed readings in the mid-80's, average speeds for rides in the mid-30's, etc. I checked and double-checked the wheel size settings and the positioning of the magnet in relation to the sensor and everything seemed fine, so I really have no idea what was causing it. Anyway, prior to these problems I would have recommended the unit but I'm a bit leery of the build quality now.
Old 05-29-12, 02:13 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
I have one. I like it. The buttons appear to be flaky once-in-a-while.

The tenths-of-a-mile digit in the distance number needs to be bigger and the speed number doesn't need to be quite as big.

It's too bad it doesn't indicate whether you are faster or slower than the average speed (it looks like there was an intent to do that because there are "unlit" triangles under the tenths digit of the speed.

The battery consumption seems decent (I have about 600 miles on mine).

I like the dual Bontrager sensor. The rubber band attachment can be a bit of a pain to put on (when the rear wheel is installed). Once on, it appears to stay put (I was worried that it might come loose). The sensor has LED's that indicate that it is aligned with the magnets (each lights for 10 counts of its associated sensor).

The computer is expensive but note that it includes a heart rate monitor (I managed to get the sensor free as part of the sale).
Old 05-31-12, 12:33 AM
JakiChan

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like mine, however I have one issue that I haven't figured out:

If you're on a long ride and you want to count the time you're stopped there's no real way to do it, is there? If you stop moving it stops counting. I would like it to keep counting if I stop so that my average speed is a true average speed, not just average for when I was on the bike.
Old 05-31-12, 06:29 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by JakiChan

If you're on a long ride and you want to count the time you're stopped there's no real way to do it, is there? If you stop moving it stops counting. I would like it to keep counting if I stop so that my average speed is a true average speed, not just average for when I was on the bike.
No way of doing that. I don't think many computers do. Anyway, the computer does the harder thing (compute the moving average).

It leaves the much, much easier one for you to do.
Old 05-31-12, 01:29 PM
JakiChan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
No way of doing that. I don't think many computers do. Anyway, the computer does the harder thing (compute the moving average).

It leaves the much, much easier one for you to do.
I guess, but for too much more money I could have gotten a Garmin 500. I think I will get one eventually, but for node this Node 2.1 will work just fine.
Old 05-31-12, 02:50 PM
tmass
Rides with Scissors

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one and works well for me; it also links well to my garmin watch and HR Strap. I like it better than the Garmin 500 because the battery lasts about a year and not just 15 hours. So i don't have to think about recharging it constantly before a ride.
Old 05-31-12, 05:38 PM
JakiChan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tmass
I have one and works well for me; it also links well to my garmin watch and HR Strap. I like it better than the Garmin 500 because the battery lasts about a year and not just 15 hours. So i don't have to think about recharging it constantly before a ride.
That's why I can see a case for both. Getting the GPS logging for Strava would be nice for training (and I don't like using my phone for that) but having the Node 2.1 for day-to-day commuting and longer rides (like the ALC) would be cool as well.

Which brings up a question - can a sensor send data to multiple receivers? I.e. could both an Edge 500 and a Node 2.1 receive a signal from the same sensor at the same time?
Old 05-31-12, 05:49 PM
njkayaker

Which brings up a question - can a sensor send data to multiple receivers? I.e. could both an Edge 500 and a Node 2.1 receive a signal from the same sensor at the same time?
YES!

The data transmission is one way. The transmitter doesn't (and can't) care what listens to it.
Old 05-31-12, 06:43 PM
Peiper1

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the Node 2 on my Madone and actually have the OPPOSITE problem. The computer keeps running even when I am off the bike and simply walking with it. This totally messes up the ride totals/averages. I had a Strada Wireless on my old bike and I could simply turn it off by moving the sensor arm away from the magnet. Other than this issue, I like it very much and love the way it integrates with the Duo-trap.
Old 06-02-12, 01:58 PM
busygizmo

Ordered one yesterday from Summit. They include the combo sensor as a bonus right now. Never had a wireless unit before so looking forward to a cleaner look. It's been a long time since I've had cadence and a unit that is both a computer and HR monitor. Looking forward to getting it and using it. Curious to see how much elevation gain is on my usual rides.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-02-12, 02:05 PM
JakiChan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only real issue I'm having is that the rubber strap for the combo sensor doesn't seem to work that well. I'm being advised to zip tie it on - I may try that.
Old 06-04-12, 04:28 AM
njkayaker

The only real issue I'm having is that the rubber strap for the combo sensor doesn't seem to work that well. I'm being advised to zip tie it on - I may try that.
I'm not having any problem with the rubber strap. Except, it's kind of a pain to put on (it stays once it's on).
Old 06-04-12, 09:52 AM
busygizmo

Will keep an eye on that.

Do you keep it on all the time including transporting on your car?
Old 06-04-12, 09:58 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by busygizmo
Will keep an eye on that.

Do you keep it on all the time including transporting on your car?
Yes, I keep it on all the time. I carry my bike inside my car.

I was worried that it would fall off but, even with lots of opportunities, it hasn't.

I have over a month and 1000+ miles with no problems.

The strap is supposed to first fit on the outside and hook on the inside. With the wheel in place, that's a pain to do.

Of course, it could work better on some bikes than others. It's also possible that wet would cause it to slide around a bit.
Old 06-04-12, 10:11 AM
busygizmo

Yes, I keep it on all the time. I carry my bike inside my car.

I was worried that it would fall off but, even with lots of opportunities, it hasn't.

I have over a month and 1000+ miles with no problems.

The strap is supposed to first fit on the outside and hook on the inside. With the wheel in place, that's a pain to do.

Of course, it could work better on some bikes than others. It's also possible that wet would cause it to slide around a bit.

I transport on the roof most of the time, might be worth removing since they are $60 a pop for the combo sensor.
Old 06-04-12, 10:31 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by busygizmo
I transport on the roof most of the time, might be worth removing since they are $60 a pop for the combo sensor.
That might be a pain to do also! I think I might use the zip ties instead of the strap in that case.

I have put on the strap backwards (inside first).
Old 06-04-12, 11:11 AM
busygizmo

That might be a pain to do also! I think I might use the zip ties instead of the strap in that case.

I have put on the strap backwards (inside first).
True. Fortunately I only haul long distances a few times a year. Hopefully heading to Colorado this year and would hate to arrive and find my sensor gone. I'll look into wire ties or some other way for extra security when it arrives.