Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Looking for Races in and around Reston, Virginia

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 11:50 AM
adempsey10

Bikes: Ghost Lector 7000, Fuji Track Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My wife has a job opportunity in Reston, Virginia (we're from Ontario, Canada) and I'm wondering what the cycling culture is like in and around there. Currently I race competitively in the Provincial circuit here in Ontario. I'm wondering if anyone from the area can give me some insight about the races, culture, clubs and terrain of this area. I know almost nothing about the races in the US aside from the standard organizational structure (cat 5,4,3,2,1 etc). Basically what I'd like to know is if there is good riding in that area (hills, good roads, etc) and if there are a reasonable number of races (not just local and club races but points and UCI or equivalent sanctioned events) within a reasonable driving distance. 8 hours is about the most I have to travel for provincial races here in Ontario. Somewhere around that would be great. It doesn't have to be an exhaustive list of all the races but just a simple, "Yea, you'll have your fill," is fine.

Cheers,

AD

Note: I forgot mention that I'm referring to road cycling and racing (crits, RRs, TTs, etc.). Not so much concerned with MTB or Cyclocross unless it's particularly awesome in that area.

Last edited by adempsey10; 01-12-15 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-12-15, 02:49 PM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked 3,098 Times in 914 Posts
I don't live in that area anymore but Reston, being a suburb of DC should have a pretty good cycling scene. Check the USCF (US cycling) for sanctioned races in the area. You can also check this site - https://www.bikereg.com . It is used by a lot of races here on the east coast. I lived closer in to DC years ago and traffic-free roads are hard to find, but once you get out into the country, pretty nice riding. Gentle rollers in that region with the Blue Ridge Mountains a little less than an hour away (by car).

If you're willing to drive 8 hours, you'll find plenty of races, you'll probably find enough if you're willing to drive 4 hours.

Years ago there was a fairly aggressive circuit ride, Tuesdays and Thursdays at Hanes Point in DC. Only group ride I can remember but that was a long time ago and I was more into mountain biking then.
Old 01-15-15, 06:23 PM
adempsey10

Bikes: Ghost Lector 7000, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aweseome. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-15-15, 07:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
You might want to post in the race forum as well.
Old 01-16-15, 06:19 PM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't race, but there are a few events around DC I've heard of. The Air Force Classic (formerly Clarendon Cup) is the big one. There has also be one in Tysons Corner, but I don't know who sponsors that one.
The Air Force Association Cycling Classic | CyclingClassic.org

There are also many non-race tours, like the Reston Century (which starts and ends at the Reston Town Center). The Reston Bike club will have info later.
https://restonbicycleclub.wildapricot.org/

There are also many clubs and teams in the area.
Potomac Pedalers
District Velocity Racing | A cycling team and club in Washington, DC.
District of Columbia Velo Club
https://evolutioncycling.wordpress.com/
NCVC - National Capital Velo Club

And for general info
Washington Area Bicyclist Association | Advocacy and Education in the Washington Area
Bike Washington

Hope that helps