Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Haggling with LBS

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Haggling with LBS

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-15, 12:25 PM
MasterBastian

Bikes: Tarmac SL4 Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haggling with LBS

In your personal experiences, have you ever haggled with your LBS? If so, what strategies did you take? I personally love to haggle about almost anything I am buying. Never done it with a bike shop, but today will be that day!

Post what you haggled for and how much you think you probably saved at the LBS!!
Old 03-11-15, 12:31 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Be gentle on the price. They really aren't making that much. Some extended service, a few dollars off, and/or (maybe) a few small goodies. I don't try to play hardball. Just ask it that's their best price or what they can do for you.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 03-11-15, 12:50 PM
MasterBastian

Bikes: Tarmac SL4 Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrain
Be gentle on the price. They really aren't making that much. Some extended service, a few dollars off, and/or (maybe) a few small goodies. I don't try to play hardball. Just ask it that's their best price or what they can do for you.
So for instance, today I am going to buy a 2014 Tarmac Sport from them. The sticker price is $1949, they told me they would do $1700. Before he even said the number, that's honestly what I was planning on offering him. But now I'm thinking maybe a new set of tires and $1700 is a good deal. The tires have probably been on the bike since it was built and who knows how many test rides its been on...I don't think new tires is a ridiculous request, considering I'm about to drop 2k after taxes...
Old 03-11-15, 12:57 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Up to you, but I'm sure the tires are fine. MSRP/sticker are less relevant on left-over stock...especially since the newest model has a redesigned group.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 03-11-15, 01:01 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I would go for something that is really needed, and new tires isn't it. Your best bet may be a store credit. That gives you flexibility in case you find out later on you don't like the saddle or to get the bottle cages, etc.

But if it is clear you are ready to buy, the store has little incentive to sweeten the deal. Finding the same thing at another store and setting them against each other is your best bet if possible.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 03-11-15 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-11-15, 01:04 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I recently bought a pair of thorn proof tires at 29.99$ instead of 35.99$ i asked for a better price. I am a loyal and nice customer and they know me, and the things i buy.
Old 03-11-15, 01:07 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterBastian
So for instance, today I am going to buy a 2014 Tarmac Sport from them. The sticker price is $1949, they told me they would do $1700. Before he even said the number, that's honestly what I was planning on offering him. But now I'm thinking maybe a new set of tires and $1700 is a good deal. The tires have probably been on the bike since it was built and who knows how many test rides its been on...I don't think new tires is a ridiculous request, considering I'm about to drop 2k after taxes...
I doubt that the tires have any issues if it is just test rides. They do tend to last a long time. I would not haggle with my lbs because I know him and we are good friends. I bought a mtb from him and my son's mtb at his sticker price, which was the regular Giant price. I ride with him every Sat. and I simply do not feel right haggling with him. I did not buy my road bike from him or my wife's mtb because he does not deal in what we ride. I am loyal to an extent but haggling with a lbs where I have a relationship is not the same as haggling with a car dealership. If you think that $1700 is fair than I would stay with that price. Fairness is about both parties walking away feeling good. Chances are you will get more from him in way of service and incidentals if you pay that price. If you haggle, than he will probably tote the line on other things down the road. Just be fair and things are usually fine.
Old 03-11-15, 01:12 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Agree. Buy the bike for the price you were happy with initially ($1700) and make a friend with the LBS for when you need them and you need a favor fast. Having your LBS on your side is worth a lot when something happens.

J.
Old 03-11-15, 01:13 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
my bike shops are so generous providing free help and some free handouts I wouldn't think about haggling over anything. but then again I never buy new bikes from them. I only bring in the used stuff I buy on the street
Old 03-11-15, 01:13 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
For bikes, buy last year's model instead of this year's model and you the shop will usually be willing to reduce the price 20-30% or more.

If you really must buy the current year's model, ask for discounts on accessories or service, but not on the bike itself.

Many bike shops sponsor local bicycle clubs or teams. If you join the club or team (dues are often cheap), the shop may give you a 10-15% discount on bikes, including current year bikes.
Old 03-11-15, 01:27 PM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Haggling is all about who has the most leverage between two willing participants.

Want to buy any previous model-year car from a dealership on the last day of the month at the end of a fiscal quarter?

You have the leverage.

Want to buy a specific new car with particular options on any given Saturday?

The dealer has the leverage.

Same principle applies to pretty much everything. Bikes included.
Old 03-11-15, 01:39 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
be a good person and buy it for the discount they offered or walk away.

make a friend out of your lbs.
Old 03-11-15, 01:59 PM
xjustice09x

Bikes: 2012 BMC SLR01, 2012 Yeti ASR5, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never had to haggle. Usually they quoted a reasonable discount when they new I was serious about buying.

If I can get it significantly cheaper elsewhere I will usually walk away and buy from the other source. If another place is slightly cheaper I will give the shop an opportunity to match the price.
Old 03-11-15, 02:17 PM
happyscientist

Bikes: C'Dale Synapse, Surly Disc Trucker, Giant Trance, Orbea Avant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bt
be a good person and buy it for the discount they offered or walk away.

make a friend out of your lbs.
Yep. I have found that there are a lot of benefits from being a good customer. I can ride my bike to the shop and get it fixed while I wait. I have been a steady enough customer that I get a 10-20% discount on everything, from tubes to an entire bike. I don't ask for the discount, they just give it because I do regular business there and I treat the employees with respect.
Old 03-11-15, 02:36 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I never haggle with my LBS, but they always give me everything I want at dealer cost plus shipping and tax, or at EP prices.

In return I give them EP on goods from the company I work for, and occasionally lead the A group shop ride.

Both sides are happy with this deal.
Old 03-11-15, 02:41 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
I only haggle when I have information that the shop is highly motivated to sell at a discount. So walking into a shop right now wanting a big discount on the hot new models isn't going to get you far. However, if I am interested in an older model, or I know that equivalent product is overstocked, or on sale somewhere else, I will raise this during negotiations. Usually I then get a competitive deal.

Sometimes I have information that motivates the shop owner to sell at a big discount. For example: a Sachs New Success derailleur group sitting in a shop display case for years. Price: $160. When I explained (truthfully) that the derailleurs are in no way Shimano indexing compatible, the price dropped to $30. Or an old stash of Ritchey clipless MTB pedals. I explained how these were dangerously incompatible with Shimano cleats, he almost begged me to take them off of my hands.

Stuff not to negotiate on: 'tune-ups'. Anything the shop will give you under this vague committment is worth nothing, because it is all stuff you should be able to do yourself. Like adjusting derailleurs or minor truing on wheels.

Consumables like chains and tires: you mail-order these in. Getting a 10% discount on a product that is half the price in the UK isn't worth much.
Old 03-11-15, 02:41 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS was clear about being competitive; he said "Tell me what you can get it for and I will see if I can match it." So far, it's worked out for both of us [and everyone else he has said that to].
Old 03-11-15, 02:42 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The salesman should throw in his car to sweeten the deal. You're getting ripped off if he doesn't.
Old 03-11-15, 02:45 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Haggle. Everyone knows bike shop owners are rolling in dough and the sales guys make 6 figures.
Old 03-11-15, 02:55 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
see if they'll mow your grass for a year as well.......
Old 03-11-15, 03:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by happyscientist
Yep. I have found that there are a lot of benefits from being a good customer. I can ride my bike to the shop and get it fixed while I wait.
One time they said it would take a few hours for them to fix it, and asked if I'd like to "test ride" another R3 while they worked on mine. Told me to bring it back before they closed, or the next day.

Another time I hit a pothole (swerved to dodge a car) coming down a hill and needed the wheel trued. It was a busy day, the shop didn't have time. Gave me a set of Zipps to ride until they could get to mine.

Knowing I'll be taken care of in a pinch is worth a lot.
Old 03-11-15, 03:23 PM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Some shops will & some won't. If they won't, you are almost forced to take your business elsewhere, unless the price is within reason. I'll give my LbS a little leeway, because I want them around. But, I won't buy a big ticket item if they won't work with me. I've had experience with both types.
Old 03-11-15, 03:39 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I recently purchased a Trek Emonda SLR and was able to get an additional discount for cash.

Every little bit helps.
Old 03-11-15, 03:43 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I don't haggle at retail stores. It's not a car dealership.
Old 03-11-15, 03:45 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Look at it from the LBS's point of view. I understand that they want to move old inventory to make room for new, but at the same time, they have a financial investment in that bike. If you ask them for more money off, that is money out of their pocket. However, if you ask for some sort of a discount on the accessories you need, that is just less profit on those items. The latter is a way to save some money while being fair to both parties.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.