Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Which backpack/messenger bag brand is most popular among riders?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Which backpack/messenger bag brand is most popular among riders?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-11, 09:08 PM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by illdthedj
i have one of these.
well, not that color, straight black.

its great for what it is....a big ass comfortable backpack that is extremely waterproof.

But its super limited in storage possibilities....wheat i mean is its basically just one gigantic compartment. but you can seriously pack a bunch of crap in it, especially when you unroll the top. good if you are the type to just throw all your **** into one pocket and fish stuff out when needed. im not exactly (im loving my "small" backpack, the T-LEVEL, for its insane amount of pockets) but i will say this bag was a champ during the winter and definitely came in handy when needing to ride around with a ton of stuff.
Yeah, I think they're popular with the real messengers because they can throw absolutely any sized package in there in two seconds without messing with various compartments or compression straps or other bull****. When they're making deliveries and crap they don't have to worry about keeping their Macbook separate from their Moleskines and their copy of Atlas Shrugged with easy access to their carbon neutral stainless steel water bottle and vegan granola treats. It is a giant ****ing box. On your back.

What makes it a perfect messenger bag makes it a less than ideal lifestyle bag, which is probably a better description for what we all have/want.
Old 02-16-11, 04:27 AM
KirbyThompson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
btw, does anyone know some websites where I can buy bags for a cheaper price? I only know about ebags.com
Old 02-16-11, 04:07 PM
mickey_
So tragically hip.

Bikes: 2009 SE Premium Brew, 2001 GT Interceptor, 2010 Motobecane Fantom 29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KirbyThompson
btw, does anyone know some websites where I can buy bags for a cheaper price? I only know about ebags.com
If you're looking for a bag that'll let you carry absolutely ANYTHING, search around eBay for an old Chrome Kremlin messenger bag. Mine's one of the ones used by Kozmo.com bike messengers (TONS of street cred brah), it's in reflective orange, and it's insulated so it can double as a goddamn cooler. I love this bag more than I love my cats... and I love my cats a lot.

Oh yeah, and you can pick one up for around $50-$70.
Old 02-16-11, 04:26 PM
macnab

Bikes: Litton, Gunnar, Iro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retem
actually they are transplants from denver and still have shops in both locals
Actually the founders are from Florida. They originally wanted to set up shop in SF, but it was too expensive. So they started in Denver and built the business. After a while they moved to SF where they wanted to be originally. Ownership has since changed, but a couple orig Florida guys remain on staff.
Old 02-16-11, 07:56 PM
Auntjamaemae

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well hey there is a mission work shop add in the conner of my page right now so i saw go buy one of those! ROLFROLFROLF
Old 02-16-11, 08:49 PM
Godzilla77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find all of these threads about hipsters funny.

I know I am probably not hip enough to wear a Chrome, but I do anyway. I wear it to work while wearing my khakis and dress clothes. I would be disappointed if someone were to judge me because I am carrying a Chrome bag that is not all f**ked up, that would suck. I do however ride my mtb a lot, have built and riden single speeds in the past (if we are trying to be hipsters), and ride my bmx. So I guess I could be judged by the hipsters while wearing my work clothes and then by the yuppies while bmxing (since I am 33 yrs old). But hey. Whats up with being hip and ****. I have tried a ton of bags and like Chrome the best by far. I live in Chicago and ride my bike, commute by train or bus, and walk. I don't own a car, so I need to have a bag that is comfortable and that I can take off easier than a backpack.

Also if we are giving examples of custom local shops. I have heard that Isaac makes awesome bags. I have yet to try one out so I dont know first hand. WIG Bags.
https://web.mac.com/chicagowig/www.ch...nger_bags.html
Old 02-17-11, 12:59 AM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Godzilla77

I know I am probably not hip enough to wear a Chrome, but I do anyway. I wear it to work while wearing my khakis and dress clothes. I would be disappointed if someone were to judge me because I am carrying a Chrome bag that is not all f**ked up, that would suck. I do however ride my mtb a lot, have built and riden single speeds in the past (if we are trying to be hipsters), and ride my bmx. So I guess I could be judged by the hipsters while wearing my work clothes and then by the yuppies while bmxing (since I am 33 yrs old). But hey. Whats up with being hip and ****. I have tried a ton of bags and like Chrome the best by far. I live in Chicago and ride my bike, commute by train or bus, and walk. I don't own a car, so I need to have a bag that is comfortable and that I can take off easier than a backpack.
You deserve a pat on the back!

Old 02-17-11, 02:13 AM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
some dude was wearing a sag backpack and walking his fixed gear up the hill and i thought "ha." then i trackstood behind him at the light and once the light turned green, shot away and never looked back. total bro-dom.
Old 02-17-11, 02:30 PM
dignandag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looked at a number of those links (thanks for that!)...but, too many choices makes my head spin.

so, i just bought a chrome metropolis. i don't care if they are too mainstream or hipster or whatever...i'm too old to care about all that. all messenger bags look pretty much the same anyhow.
Old 02-17-11, 04:47 PM
blickblocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cc700
some dude was wearing a sag backpack and walking his fixed gear up the hill and i thought "ha." then i trackstood behind him at the light and once the light turned green, shot away and never looked back. total bro-dom.
Maybe his backpack was full of heaviness? Perhaps lead.
Old 02-17-11, 07:51 PM
nuhtowel

Bikes: Caad9, Fixed gear, Hardrock beater, 3 speed cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How come people don't use normal backpacks? Wouldn't feel more symmetrical on your back that way?
Old 02-17-11, 08:25 PM
Yangster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like vagx! Hip enough!
Old 02-17-11, 08:28 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by nuhtowel
How come people don't use normal backpacks? Wouldn't feel more symmetrical on your back that way?
Dude, get with it. Using a normal backpack just isn't cool/expensive enough.
Old 02-17-11, 08:32 PM
vw addict

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blickblocks
Maybe his backpack was full of heaviness? Perhaps lead.
probably tungsten.
Old 02-17-11, 08:49 PM
nuhtowel

Bikes: Caad9, Fixed gear, Hardrock beater, 3 speed cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Dude, get with it. Using a normal backpack just isn't cool/expensive enough.
Damn, its so expensive to be a hipster.
Old 02-17-11, 09:11 PM
bloom87

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 02-17-11, 11:18 PM
bleedingapple

Bikes: Leader 722TS, Surly Cross Check, GT Outpost, Haro Z16, Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is my winter bag. Only $30 and seems super bomber... Mine is black, my girlfriend has the same in yellow.
https://www.over-board.co.uk/catalog/...itres.p79.html

this is my summer bag, when i am not needing to carry a ton of stuff or grocery shopping
https://find-outdoor-wear.info/camelb...00-oz-s09.html

and this is my grocery shopping/ i need to carry tons of **** bag... mines in red with the pill from akira on the back
https://www.pacdesigns.com/oversize.htm
Old 02-18-11, 03:52 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by nuhtowel
My left rotator cuff is torn and is usually swollen. my left shoulder really cant support weight so I need to wear a left handed bag. those can be hard to find, part of the reason I wear custom bags.
Old 06-02-11, 07:46 PM
foofighter29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just scored a slightly used from a seller on ebay that's local to me $175 for a MW Rambler SCORE
Old 06-03-11, 05:57 PM
mkeHENRY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my Mission Workshop Vandal about 3 days ago.
It was about $275 at Bike Bag Shop and they even through in a free Planet Bike SuperFlash.

I bought it based on how big it got!
I don't need a big ol' bag every day but when I do, I figured it would be extremely convenient to just expand the bag.

I'm really glad I got the bag when they added those two front pockets.
It is very comfortable.
I didn't have trouble looking back at traffic.
The bag looks and feels solid.
No complaints on quality...

I JUST WISH IT HAD MORE POCKETS!
On my first run with it, I realized the importance of having lots of POCKETS among other features.
  1. I didn't like how my everyday carry had to be piled on the bottom of one of the 3 compartments. I just don't like piling my charger on top of my laptop.
  2. I swear I read somewhere that one of the compartments had a different depth than the other 3 but all of them seem to fall to the bottom.
  3. I didn't like the lack of an easy access spot for my water bottle either! I have to stop and take it out of the bag instead of just reaching on the side.
  4. I also wish the pack had a better sweat system? My shirt was SOAKED! haha.

Maybe the bag just wasn't designed as a "lifestyle" bag but more oriented toward messengers.
I'm going to see if I can get used to these lack of features otherwise I might end up selling it and buying it again when enough people complained like me and they change the bag again.

Last edited by mkeHENRY; 06-03-11 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-03-11, 06:58 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeHENRY
It was about $275 at Bike Bag Shop and they even through in a free Planet Bike SuperFlash.

I don't need a big ol' bag every day but when I do, I figured it would be extremely convenient to just expand the bag.

It is very comfortable.

On my first run with it, I realized the importance of having lots of POCKETS among other features.
  1. I didn't like how my everyday carry had to be piled on the bottom of one of the 3 compartments. I just don't like piling my charger on top of my laptop.
  2. I swear I read somewhere that one of the compartments had a different depth than the other 3 but all of them seem to fall to the bottom.
  3. I didn't like the lack of an easy access spot for my water bottle either! I have to stop and take it out of the bag instead of just reaching on the side.

Maybe the bag just wasn't designed as a "lifestyle" bag but more oriented toward messengers.
I'm going to see if I can get used to these lack of features otherwise I might end up selling it and buying it again when enough people complained like me and they change the bag again.
I'm with you on some of the complaints, but I still love mine. I bought some travel pouches from a sporting goods store to put my smaller stuff in, then I toss that in one of the outer pockets to keep things separate. More pockets would've been better, but this is a workaround that is ok for me. I also put some carabiner clips on the little loops that are on the sides under the outer zipper to put stuff on, like my keys for example.

the pouch I use is like this https://www.rei.com/product/796836/ea...ompartment-sac
Old 06-03-11, 07:40 PM
redpear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeHENRY

It is very comfortable.

Sounds like you need a...

Grid-It!
Old 06-03-11, 07:52 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
if you have complaints,

make your own.
Old 06-03-11, 09:51 PM
Sherblock

Bikes: '14 Kona Rove, '06 Bob Jackson

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Timbuk2... hate it, but then again it was $10 at a sidewalk sale. Strap is extremely comfortable, and the material slide around on your back. Annoying, and it sucks under loads. The cross strap does little to nothing.

I'm thinking about trying out messengers again, it's been like 3 years since I bought the Timbuk2. I really like the look of SeaGull bags, but I'm also looking at REload. The one thing that makes SeaGull more appealing is the custom options, but if anyone has an opinion feel free to share!
Old 06-04-11, 12:17 AM
Retem
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is what I use as I tend to rotate between a sling bag and a backpack
first off although it seems I dislike chrome I don't at all they have done a lot to support alley cats, benefit events as well as the fact you can take you bag to their shop and they will fix it often for a beer or free if your lucky.

past bags

WIG stealth pouch the first bag WIG ever made (gave it to a friend and he is still using it)

WIG huge custom backpack this thing was beasty and it looked like I had black strap wings when I rode because of the compression straps

Present

WIG truck bag huge padded cargo sling bag with crop circles on the flap but with my how much can I carry mentality I have been using it less and less as my shoulder can't take it

Ortleib Velocity this is a great everyday commuter bag water proof and quite comfortable for summer

Chrome Backbone pack huge cargo backpack that I can load up with whatever I need for and situation and ride backpacks are nice as my body can't deal with the weigh on only one side anymore...

and if it is really hot out I wear a Fabric Horse superhero belt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.