Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Anybody ride the Rio Hondo/L.A. river trail?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-20, 02:52 PM
Bobsled

Bikes: Litespeed Classic (55cm), Specialized Tarmac Pro (56cm)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Just curious. I know most ride the SART or SGRT.

Specialized Tarmac, lasts a lifetime, or until it breaks.
Old 10-29-20, 03:09 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
I have not been on the RHRT/LART in about 3 years after being run off the trail by a gang of 40 mini-motorcycles. No kidding. That and two Adam Henrys shooting at each other across that LART with pellet rifles. No thank you!
Old 10-29-20, 07:41 PM
Bobsled

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, the mini motorcycles are still around (in smaller numbers). Haven't seen any "Adam Henrys" tho.

Old 10-29-20, 10:56 PM
sslonkosky

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I was on the northern part of the Rio Hondo River Trail yesterday afternoon between Peck Road and Valley Blvd. It wasn’t crowded, but I encounter a number of bicyclists, hikers and joggers. I did see a young woman with a bicycle and a bunch of junk on the other side of the Rio Hondo (west side) on the south side of the Lower Azusa bridge. I don’t know if she was camping there or what.

it has been several years since I have been south of the El Monte Bus Station and I never been south of the road that runs parallel to the 60 in Montebello.
Old 10-30-20, 12:02 AM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
I was riding the trail, starting either at Peck Park or the Par 3 Golf Course parking lot, heading south and back every Sunday afternoon with a group of friends before Covid-19. I haven’t ridden it since April or so but a few of my friends have been on the trail the past 2 weeks and told me there sure some homeless encampments, by the tunnel and in the tunnel, that encroach onto the bike lanes.
Old 10-30-20, 01:28 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
hit the la river trail 2-3 x's a year. have only ridden the rio hondo part once and don't remember anything about it other than the park on the northern end.
the farther north you head on the la river trail, the more "interesting" it gets. that said, i usually ride it southbound since i'm usually coming from union station
and it is the faster way to escape the la metropolis and then make a left or right in long beach and head towards seal beach or palos verdes. northern end/start
of the trail is difficult with all the large truck traffic, road debris and railroad trax in the quiet hamlet of vernon.
Old 10-30-20, 10:18 AM
Bobsled

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
So, as you can see, I live in Downey. I usually jump on the trail at Suva (just north of Florence Blvd). I will either ride south to the light house (L.B.) or north to Beverly Blvd (west) to Montebello Blvd (north) around to Rosemead Blvd (south) a couple times before heading home.

Riding south I stay on the east side of the trail. Going north I have to ride on the west side. Anyway, for those who travel south from points north of I-5, there is a huge homeless encampment that takes up much of the trail (west side) at John A. Ford park in Bell Gardens. Trash everywhere. I recommend you cross over to the east side of the trail at Suva (just south of I-5). Don't wait to cross over at the foot bridge south of Florence Blvd. Anyway, just a PSA. Enjoy and be safe.

Old 10-30-20, 03:13 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobsled
So, as you can see, I live in Downey. I usually jump on the trail at Suva (just north of Florence Blvd). I will either ride south to the light house (L.B.) or north to Beverly Blvd (west) to Montebello Blvd (north) around to Rosemead Blvd (south) a couple times before heading home.

Riding south I stay on the east side of the trail. Going north I have to ride on the west side. Anyway, for those who travel south from points north of I-5, there is a huge homeless encampment that takes up much of the trail (west side) at John A. Ford park in Bell Gardens. Trash everywhere. I recommend you cross over to the east side of the trail at Suva (just south of I-5). Don't wait to cross over at the foot bridge south of Florence Blvde. Anyway, just a PSA. Enjoy and be safe.
Yep found this out the hard way this morning. Rode a big loop up the SGRT from Beverly up to Encanto Park then took Royal Oaks to California down to the Rio Hondo trail at the Peck reservoir park. Exited the trail at Hollydale Park.
The upper sections of both trails are very nice not many bum camps or trash on the trail it's the mid-city sections of both that are the worst. Hadn't been on those trails since last winter but with the fires in Chino & Irvine I chose that route. Plus side very little if any smoky smell in the air from the Bobcat fire.
West
Old 10-30-20, 03:30 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I ride down from Pasadena to Live Oak Blvd and get on the Rio Hondo there, north of Peck Road Park... then ride down to Whittier Narrows. Lots of homeless and a strong oder of model airplane glue. People living in the shrubs the closer you get to Whittier Narrows. Bathrooms at WN are disgusting... signs all over the place telling you not to do drugs or have sex in the bathrooms. Occasionally I will get on the SGRT and go further south. I don't like riding these kinds of trails, no shade, don't like other bikers coming at me at 20mph just a couple feet away.... some of them drift over the line and think it's no big deal. Unpredictable pedestrians.
Old 10-31-20, 03:50 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Rode up the SGRT from Santa Fe Dam to the bridge and then over to Peck Park to Whittier Narrows and then down the SGRT to the beach and back to Santa Fe as the "ride yer age" BD ride. (70 mi but did 85) Haven't been on that section of Rio Hondo in a while

General observations:
With the SJWs feeding the bums at Lario park things are out of hand. They don't even try to keep the tents discreet and have taken over the picnic area. If you drive to ride, park at El Encanto.
Duarte Road and Myrtle have been resurfaced so now the only bad pavement is a short stretch from Live Oak to the Metro bus yard.
Rio Hondo, The county Ag commission had a crew cleaning up by the 60 and any bum camps are on the opposite side of the wash. The section thru El Monte always has a fair number of frail looking older Asian walkers. They obviously don't consider it dangerous. They also don't wear earbuds and are generally aware of what's going on around them.
Bum camp population on the SGRT From the Narrows south, is still present, but scattered and approximately 25% of what the peak was a couple of years ago.

It's been a while since I've ridden Rio Hondo south of the Narrows so nothing to say there.
Old 10-31-20, 07:06 PM
Bobsled

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
On my ride, there is this one tent that even has a generator running. It looked like a Honda. Anyway, I guess it's either for a fridge or TV.

Old 11-09-20, 05:09 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
I’ve ridden the Rio Hondo trail yesterday and last Sunday, starting at the Par 3 Golf Course in Arcadia going South. There were a few solo female riders on the trail. I was riding with 8 friends. I think there’s safety in numbers and we try to stay together.

However, gang members with guns can stop an entire group.
This unfortunate incident happened a few days ago to another group on the stretch of trail I ride regularly with my friends:

edit: I tried to provide a link to the ****** thread but it's not working. Here's the url to the ink to the ****** thread that you can copy and paste: https://www.******.com/r/BikeLA/comm...t_gunpoint_on/
edit 2: Oh, I see what the problem is. I cannot use the word r-e-d-d-i-t in this forum.
edit 3: Here's part of the thread in the forum I'm unable to link to:
Posted by
u/cryingblackman
1 day ago

PSA: Some of my friends got robbed at gunpoint on the Rio Hondo Bike Path.

They were held at gunpoint by who they described as gang members. They took everything; bikes, backpacks, and everything in their pockets.

Approximate location: 34.062885, -118.067610

Last edited by momoman; 11-09-20 at 05:26 PM. Reason: updated with more info
Old 11-09-20, 05:17 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Pretty brazen group of criminals. See this happened adjacent to Rosemead Blvd for a quick getaway.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 11-09-20 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-09-20, 08:13 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 541 Posts
Personally I would never ride that trail.