Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where to go for a week's cycling in January?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Where to go for a week's cycling in January?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-22, 03:11 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I look at the national weather map every morning. About the only place I can see that has good cycling temps this time of year is the Fla Keys.
Old 12-21-22, 03:19 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
Just in case this idea gets some attention: https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/p...m-Map-1018.pdf

and keep in mind depending on how far you go, it's 2-4 days one way, so you may end up on the train your entire week....
Just a note here since the OP is from Canada. pstock , if you expect a train trip on Amtrak to be anywhere near as nice as a train trip on Via Rail, you will be disappointed. Amtrak food is only a cut above airline food and our rail system in the U.S. is terribly antiquated compared to the rest of the world.
Old 12-21-22, 05:07 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I look at the national weather map every morning. About the only place I can see that has good cycling temps this time of year is the Fla Keys.
Counter example. This is where some of my Northern California ride buddies hang out in Winter:

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 12-21-22, 09:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Counter example. This is where some of my Northern California ride buddies hang out in Winter:

He’s just posting more nonsense.
Old 12-21-22, 10:24 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Anywhere in the southwest. Here north of L.A. we ride all year and there are mountains of every description.

Likes For big john:
Old 12-22-22, 05:09 AM
indyfabz

Highs in the 70s in San Diego this weekend. Someone’s map must be broken.
Old 12-22-22, 06:07 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
"Anywhere in the southwest" can be a misnomer. Between October and March, it's very easy for most of New Mexico to see low temperatures, high winds, and snow. That said, Las Cruces is never a "vacation destination" but from there you can take trips out to White Sands, Carlsbad, the Organ Mountains, Ruidoso; heck, if the weather is nice, you could take a rental car and head to Silver City for some good climbing. This is all said with the caveat that the weather in New Mexico is renowned for going from gorgeous to awful in minutes. Aside from my "home" state of NM, I'd add another vote for southern California, but not to expect 60's, be happy with mid-high 40's. The "south coast" from Goleta down to Malibu is a great place to ride as long as the region isn't on fire or experiencing a nasty storm. Farther south I'd say using San Diego as a base and going out from there would be good too. All this is fantasy conjecture, as I'm in Philly, waiting for a bit of nasty weather to roll in just before christmas.
Old 12-22-22, 09:21 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Highs in the 70s in San Diego this weekend. Someone’s map must be broken.
Just checked the National weather map. Right now it is 46 degrees at 7:15 in San Diego. Anything below 65 is not fit for man nor beast.

I like to ride in shorts, not all bundled up like the Michelin man.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 12-22-22, 09:37 AM
big john

Originally Posted by PhilFo
l I'd add another vote for southern California, but not to expect 60's, be happy with mid-high 40's. The "south coast" from Goleta down to Malibu is a great place to ride as long as the region isn't on fire or experiencing a nasty storm. .
According to the NOAA temperatures were in the 60s and 70s all month last January in the area of Southern California where I live. We haven't had a major fire in a few years and I don't remember the last time we had a nasty storm. We are in a drought and it rarely rains.
Old 12-22-22, 09:43 AM
big john

Just checked the National weather map. Right now it is 46 degrees at 7:15 in San Diego. Anything below 65 is not fit for man nor beast.

With a high of 66! And it is going to be 74 on Saturday and 78 Sunday. Just start at 9:00, it will already be 59. Geez, don't be such a weather wuss.
Likes For big john:
Old 12-22-22, 09:47 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts

<looks at your posted location> so you ride outside what, 5 1/2 months a year?

(as it's currently -15 F outside. eesh.) I'd take 30's at this point!
Old 12-22-22, 10:31 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by pstock
UT january seems rainy.
Utah is not rainy in January.

In the northern part of the state, it is cold and gray. Sometimes snowy, often just bleak. In the valleys we get a weather phenomenon called temperature inversion, which results in terrible smog (sometimes the worst air in the country, from a human health perspective). Up at the ski resorts it's a different story--often beautiful conditions--but certainly not cycling weather.

The extreme southern part of the state is much warmer and likewise dry, usually. The area around St. George can be very nice even in January, and there are good places to ride. Likewise around Kanab, on the Arizona border but a bit farther east. If you go north only as far as Cedar City or Bryce Canyon, temps are lower and snow is much more likely, because of the higher elevation there. Southeastern Utah is beautiful but desolate. Not a lot of options for entertainment, dining, transportation, etc. If you like solitude and desert landscapes, it's the place to be.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 12-22-22, 11:02 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
According to the NOAA temperatures were in the 60s and 70s all month last January in the area of Southern California where I live. We haven't had a major fire in a few years and I don't remember the last time we had a nasty storm. We are in a drought and it rarely rains.
Yup, but climatology is not weather. Right now it’s still chilly across the region and who knows what January will bring. Just because last January the weather WHERE YOU LIVE was one way, doesn’t mean that it’s going to be the same in a month, and it certainly won’t be the same for the areas I wrote about, as they are different climatological classifications as the LA foothills due to proximity to the Pacific.
Old 12-22-22, 11:22 AM
big john

Originally Posted by PhilFo
Yup, but climatology is not weather. Right now it’s still chilly across the region and who knows what January will bring. Just because last January the weather WHERE YOU LIVE was one way, doesn’t mean that it’s going to be the same in a month, and it certainly won’t be the same for the areas I wrote about, as they are different climatological classifications as the LA foothills due to proximity to the Pacific.
Obviously we don't know what the weather will be next month but I've been here most of my life and have ridden bikes for 40ish years and I don't remember "mid to high 40s" with any regularity in any Southern California coastal area. The Santa Barbara and Goleta areas are very similar to here, maybe a few degrees difference, according to NOAA records from last January.

My point was that all of Southern California is rideable year round if you don't go into the higher mountains. Even there, it's generally warmer than Toronto.
Old 12-22-22, 11:41 AM
phedge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 260 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by pstock
​​​​​​I like it.
though weirdly Tucson is 2 hours further (7) and one stop more (1 vs direct) than Las Vegas from YYZ.(And any extra stop is a lost bike risk)But on the short list. I've heard good things about Tucson cycling from a friend.
Check out flying into Phoenix, renting a car and driving down to Tucson. It's a short two hour drive through the desert and worth the time.

Was a gorgeous 63 in Saguaro a couple days ago.

and a comfy 51 atop Mt. Lemmon yesterday.

Likes For phedge:
Old 12-22-22, 12:39 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 1,063 Posts
Tucson's your Huckelberry.
Likes For tcs:
Old 12-22-22, 04:29 PM
indyfabz

More ‘bent trolling.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-22-22, 04:44 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by indyfabz

Looks like perfect cycling temps to me.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-22-22, 04:46 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by phedge
Check out flying into Phoenix, renting a car and driving down to Tucson. It's a short two hour drive through the desert and worth the time.

Was a gorgeous 63 in Saguaro a couple days ago.

and a comfy 51 atop Mt. Lemmon yesterday.

These pics are beautiful!
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-22-22, 05:45 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Lombard
Looks like perfect cycling temps to me.
IKR. PM me if you want to know the M.O.
Old 12-23-22, 02:28 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
I cycled 68 kilometers this morning at two parks with bike paths near my home in eastern Bangkok. I left at 6:45am with a temperature of 20C and returned 2.5 hours later and it was up to 26C. A very pleasant day to be out. Tomorrow I will go out to Skylane and ride on an enclosed 23.5 kilometer bicycle only path that goes around the outer perimeter of Suvarnabhumi International Airport. Although the weather is always warm to hot, as well as humid, it's probably too far to consider for a just a one week holiday.
Old 12-23-22, 11:04 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 308 Posts
I have to agree with all the San Diego area recommendations, but my favorite place in San Diego county has always been Julian.https://visitjulian.com/

And if you happen to be lucky enough to be there when it snows, drive down to Borrego Springs.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 12-23-22, 07:50 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by superdex
<looks at your posted location> so you ride outside what, 5 1/2 months a year?

(as it's currently -15 F outside. eesh.) I'd take 30's at this point!
For the most part my bike and trike are hung up in the garage for about 4 months of the year. And yes I am a temp wuss and dont like riding all bundled up. I simply dont like to ride unless I am comfortable in shorts and a T-shirt.

Nov Dec Jan and Feb should be cancelled due to lack of interest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-24-22, 09:12 AM
big john

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
I have to agree with all the San Diego area recommendations, but my favorite place in San Diego county has always been Julian.https://visitjulian.com/

And if you happen to be lucky enough to be there when it snows, drive down to Borrego Springs.
Years ago 3 of us rode from here north of L.A. to Julian and back in 5 days. Fun trip and the area around Julian was awesome for riding. Loved the ride up from San Diego.
Likes For big john:
Old 12-24-22, 10:21 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
[QUOTE=pstock;22739074
UT January seems rainy.
[/QUOTE]

I live in northern Utah and I would not go to southern Utah (St. George) in January for a bike getaway. The weather is just too iffy. You could get snow.

My choice would be Tucson, AZ. It is also the choice of a lot of pro squads.
Likes For Clipped_in:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.