Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Calling all men

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-24, 09:02 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Pervy old guys in lycra, yeah, I'm sure that's a conversation most young women want to have....
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 02-22-24, 09:49 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
That’s surprising. I have no ill will towards those people, I tend to think they don’t know what they are doing which is totally fine, they aren’t a hazard and don’t pose a thread. Dodge them dude. Heck I wave at em just like the ones riding on the right side of the road.

OP I have a few comments:

1) don’t say more than a word or two to a pedestrian you pass. “Good morning” or another easily digestible comment is fine, your comment was a bit too intricate. The interaction lasts like 1 second unless you’re stopping to talk to them, which is weird.

2) you’re reading way too much into this interaction. The pedestrian didn’t understand what you said and half smiled blandly at you in response. She probably thought it was a greeting.

3) treating women cyclists differently than male cyclists is borderline weird and sexist. Draft em, heck ebikes are 100% fair game and usually a godsend if you aren’t lookin to work.
They are a hazard and do pose danger, to themselves and others. There are clear demarkations in the bike lane showing an arrow going in the opposite direction for them and you can see traffic not going in their direction. If they cannot understand a simple and basic road marker they shouldn't be on the road. I already have to play some dodgem with selfish people in cars I shouldn't need to do it with selfish people on bikes. You have an entire bike lane for your direction of traffic with the same set up as the side I am riding on there is simply no need to be on my small little sliver of bike lane that I still have to sometimes deal with cars in (usually buses but some people do use it to just sit in their car or drop off packages when they have two other cars lanes.
Old 02-22-24, 10:32 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
They are a hazard and do pose danger, to themselves and others. There are clear demarkations in the bike lane showing an arrow going in the opposite direction for them and you can see traffic not going in their direction. If they cannot understand a simple and basic road marker they shouldn't be on the road. I already have to play some dodgem with selfish people in cars I shouldn't need to do it with selfish people on bikes. You have an entire bike lane for your direction of traffic with the same set up as the side I am riding on there is simply no need to be on my small little sliver of bike lane that I still have to sometimes deal with cars in (usually buses but some people do use it to just sit in their car or drop off packages when they have two other cars lanes.
dodging bikes is super easy. In big European cities where biking is really common, intersections have bikes coming at each other from all directions. Same in some of the disorganized densely populated cities in poorer countries, but those are motorbikes
Old 02-22-24, 10:52 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Old 02-22-24, 11:02 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
The ones that REALLY bother me are the ones who ride on the wrong side when there's NO bike lane.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-22-24, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Frkl
Regardless of whether the interaction was in fact innocent, please don't fall for the trap of assuming that others necessarily see it that way.
I trust you realise that if I made such assumptions, I'd never have written my OP in the first place
Old 02-22-24, 11:11 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by 905
I trust you realise that if I made such assumptions, I'd never have written my OP in the first place
You did. Right here.

Originally Posted by 905
My OP has nothing to do with helping them with a puncture or mechanical. It's about realising that innocent interactions may not be perceived that way.
you characterize it as an example of an "innocent interaction." But in doing so you privileged your perspective as truth. That you don't see that is my point
Likes For Frkl:
Old 02-22-24, 11:13 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by 905
Why did you start the thread? It seems like this was a total non-incident.
She sort of smiled and that was that.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-22-24, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Frkl
you characterize it as an example of an "innocent interaction." But in doing so you privileged your perspective as truth. That you don't see that is my point
My truth, as they say, is that it was innocent. As it happens, it was also the truth. But of course, the entire point of the OP was respecting the perceptions of the women in question.

Not-so-incidentally, this belongs in everyone's library:

Invisible Women by Caroline Criado Perez
Likes For 905:
Old 02-22-24, 11:31 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

"Hypersensitivity". Feh. It's not being "hypersensitive" to not want to upset others unnecessarily. That's simple politeness.

I don't go riding to interact with other people. I ride to NOT interact with other people, and I assume that others out riding or running alone feel similarly. If somebody is standing on the shoulder looking at their bike in obvious confusion or frustration, I'll slow down and ask if they're okay as I pass. I don't stop unsolicited, because I wouldn't want anyone to stop near me unsolicited, either. Now, mind you, I did make an exception the time I saw "Larry" riding in Woodside that one time. But he's made clear on here that he likes to interact with other riders, so I figured it would be okay.

Generally I try not to draft anyone - if I'm behind someone I don't plan to pass I'll generally try to keep back and off to the side a bit, so it's clear I'm not drafting them. With women, I'll hang back even farther, and generally I'm more likely to accelerate a bit to pass them so they don't have to worry about that old fat guy behind them for long.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-22-24, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey
I don't go riding to interact with other people. I ride to NOT interact with other people, and I assume that others out riding or running alone feel similarly.
I ride for various reasons, including to exercise being a social animal: https://www.notanothercyclingforum.n...18606#msg18606 (that's my blog).

YMMV.
Old 02-22-24, 11:48 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by 905
It's about realising that innocent interactions may not be perceived that way.
If my genuinely innocent greeting or comment is taken any other way, that's not my issue.
Old 02-22-24, 12:12 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Normally I'll saying passing or on your left before I pass somebody on foot. BUT around here there are a number of joggers who insist on jogging in the bike lanes instead of on the sidewalks. For those joggers I will just buzz right past them unannounced. If it startles them, then good. They need to stop jogging in the bike lanes.
Old 02-22-24, 12:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
dodging bikes is super easy. In big European cities where biking is really common, intersections have bikes coming at each other from all directions. Same in some of the disorganized densely populated cities in poorer countries, but those are motorbikes
In big European cities there is a lot more infrastructure and history in riding bicycles. In terms of intersections that is different than someone riding at you in a well marked bike lane on purpose. Having a lot of bicyclists generally following the rules but in large quantities isn't so bad.

Comparing any of this to densely populated city with motorbikes weaving in and out in places known for that is quite different as well. I am not saying any of what they do is good but in many of those places there isn't a clear demarkation for lanes and roads in a lot of situations or people aren't following it but kind of as a whole less so as a few individuals.
Old 02-22-24, 12:47 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Normally I'll saying passing or on your left before I pass somebody on foot. BUT around here there are a number of joggers who insist on jogging in the bike lanes instead of on the sidewalks. For those joggers I will just buzz right past them unannounced. If it startles them, then good. They need to stop jogging in the bike lanes.
That's the same excuse many drivers use when they buzz cyclists on the road.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-22-24, 01:02 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
That's the same excuse many drivers use when they buzz cyclists on the road.
Also, having been a runner when I was in my 20s, I can tell you that walkers don't want you on sidewalks, AND asphalt is easier on the shins and knees than concrete. If I find myself getting annoyed at a runner in the bike lane, I remind myself of that and let it go. Generally, they're running against traffic, as the law specifies, so as we approach, I make it clear which side I'll pass them on and give them a wide berth and a nod in passing.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-22-24, 01:47 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
FYI to all you "just being friendly bicyclers" It's a mind your own business world out there
Old 02-22-24, 02:40 PM
MattoftheRocks

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
I could tell some stories.

regardless of gender, if they’re under 70yrs old, I only wave.

I only say something if they say something first or if I’m passing and it’s a simple “GOOD MORNING/AFTERNOON! I’m coming up on your left!”
Old 02-22-24, 03:09 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
My wife has stated on numerous occasions that whether she is riding her bike on the road or walking the dog on the trail, she becomes very uncomfortable when a male is closing in on her, or if on a bike, hanging back behind her. She also carries pepper spray, so you’ve been warned.

As a result, I give women a wide berth and if I am slowly overtaking one on a bike, I will make an effort to get around her quickly and not engage in any greeting unless they do first.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-22-24, 03:53 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Interesting discussion of an unfamiliar experience. Usually, I'm the one being passed by pretty much everything but roadkill, including, on the C&O by a young woman with only one leg.
Old 02-22-24, 08:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,575 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Iincluding, on the C&O by a young woman with only one leg.
I never assume. I know a guy with one leg who can fly on a bike. He also plays hackysack. Used to see him at happy hour until he moved out of the area.
Old 02-22-24, 08:41 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
I I'm the one being passed by pretty much everything but roadkill, including, on the C&O by a young woman with only one leg.
"Her name is Eilene, but she goes by Peg"...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 02-22-24, 10:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Interesting discussion of an unfamiliar experience. Usually, I'm the one being passed by pretty much everything but roadkill, including, on the C&O by a young woman with only one leg.
Time for an e-bike?

Had my doors blown off today by some 30 something during my ride. Maybe I should get one too!

Old 02-23-24, 12:53 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
In big European cities there is a lot more infrastructure and history in riding bicycles. In terms of intersections that is different than someone riding at you in a well marked bike lane on purpose. Having a lot of bicyclists generally following the rules but in large quantities isn't so bad.

Comparing any of this to densely populated city with motorbikes weaving in and out in places known for that is quite different as well. I am not saying any of what they do is good but in many of those places there isn't a clear demarkation for lanes and roads in a lot of situations or people aren't following it but kind of as a whole less so as a few individuals.
My point is that dodging an oncoming cyclist is easy enough that it shouldn't bother you, even if you think the person is clueless or on drugs etc. I also used to get pissed at cyclists using the wrong lane. Funny enough, my partner at work asked why cyclists didn't usually go the wrong way in traffic, so they could see the oncoming cars.
Old 02-23-24, 04:37 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Time for an e-bike?

Had my doors blown off today by some 30 something during my ride. Maybe I should get one too!
No cyclist has ever "had their doors blown off" by an electric bike. I'm okay with E-bikes (more bike lane users = more motorist awareness of us), but we're not in competition with them. That's like saying you've been beaten by a motorcycle. I used to feel frustrated by the kids with both hands and both eyes on their phones while E-assist biking at ~25mph, but Darwin'll eventually take care of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.