Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Front Derailleur FD-5800?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-19, 04:27 PM
Lars Halstrom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I added a K-Edge chain catcher to my 2017 Felt VR5's front derailleur and as a result I had to re-adjust the settings on the derailleur. So I pulled up the dealers manual to see how it's done. The derailleur is on a carbon frame with a braze-on mounting bracket. The manual describes a backup plate that is to be mounted on the seat tube with an adhesive backing and then screwing the 2mm support bolt on the derailleur so it touches the backup plate. I could not locate any mounted backup plate that was installed. I also didn't see any support bolt that might have been extended. So I don't think it had dropped off. Has anybody else had a missing support plate that was supposed to be installed?

Last edited by Lars Halstrom; 06-22-19 at 04:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-22-19, 04:55 PM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Maybe it wasn't installed in the first place? Does it have the threaded hole in the FD for the support bolt? If yes, I would guess they just set up the FD using the clamp bolt such that the outer cage was parallel with the large chainring, and skipped the final adjustment using the support bolt.
Old 06-22-19, 06:10 PM
Lars Halstrom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eggman84
Maybe it wasn't installed in the first place? Does it have the threaded hole in the FD for the support bolt? If yes, I would guess they just set up the FD using the clamp bolt such that the outer cage was parallel with the large chainring, and skipped the final adjustment using the support bolt.
I took off my bike light and shined it where it should be and there it was. But the backup plate wasn't there because the braze-on bracket was large enough so that the support bolt was hitting it and the backup plate wasn't needed.
Old 06-22-19, 07:17 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
I actually come across a fair amount of the newer style Shimano derailleurs that are missing the plate + no support screw engagement. I think a lot of folks that have set up older front derailleurs don't have experience with them yet. It makes a pretty huge difference in shift performance when set up correctly.