Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

How long will my kiddy trailer last?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

How long will my kiddy trailer last?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-11, 08:29 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Question How long will my kiddy trailer last?

I bought a used $50 Instep kiddy trailer a while back.

It was fun getting it up and running and I've got good use out of it for the last 2 years.

However, rounding a corner last week, I bumped one of the wheels, which proceeded to let go. The trailer was full of groceries, so I had to struggle to get everything back together. But I did and kept going.

My question is, how long should I expect to get out of this rig? I'm concerned because I don't have a car and right now it is very convenient to use the trailer to get food to the house. I think it's much better than panniers.

Should I be thinking of something more durable? If so, what?
Old 10-28-11, 10:52 PM
katcorot

Bikes: 2013 Surly Big Dummy, 2008 Giant Rincon, 1980's Raleigh Century, 1970's Apollo Deelite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Is it possible for you to post any photo's of your trailer currently. Would help us with making suggestions.
Old 10-28-11, 11:36 PM
hopperja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
+1 on the pics.

I've had a Bell child trailer for about 6 or 7 years. I've put thousands of miles on it, hauled kids, Goodwill loads, and even 200 pounds of sand in that thing. It has been an excellent trailer. I recently removed all the fabric and put a corrugated plastic deck on it. This past summer I got a Bikes at Work 64a and have even attached the Bell to the back of the BAW trailer.

The BAW is a more versatile and heavy duty hauler. However, the Bell worked for many years. I only upgraded because I wanted more weight carrying capacity (though the extra volume capability is nice too).
Old 10-29-11, 12:32 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
I have an ancient instep from goodwill. Had it about 6 years, and it was probably that old when I got it. Still going strong. The wheels are kind of quick release, so it's understandable that they might give way if overloaded and in a hard turn.
Old 10-29-11, 12:42 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Is this photo detailed enough?

Old 10-29-11, 02:22 PM
katcorot

Bikes: 2013 Surly Big Dummy, 2008 Giant Rincon, 1980's Raleigh Century, 1970's Apollo Deelite

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
I bought a used $50 Instep kiddy trailer a while back.

It was fun getting it up and running and I've got good use out of it for the last 2 years.

However, rounding a corner last week, I bumped one of the wheels, which proceeded to let go. The trailer was full of groceries, so I had to struggle to get everything back together. But I did and kept going.

My question is, how long should I expect to get out of this rig? I'm concerned because I don't have a car and right now it is very convenient to use the trailer to get food to the house. I think it's much better than panniers.

Should I be thinking of something more durable? If so, what?
I'm just trying to confirm here. When you bumped the trailer wheel and it "let go". Did it break the wheel/axle or just flip the trailer?
Old 10-29-11, 03:15 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by katcorot
I'm just trying to confirm here. When you bumped the trailer wheel and it "let go". Did it break the wheel/axle or just flip the trailer?
Nope. I guess the locking pivot just let go and the wheel started to come off.

I got it all back on and it locked ok.
Old 10-30-11, 10:20 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I had one like that but with the stroller kit. I used it every day, put well over 9,000 miles on it over 5 years, and it was still going strong. Still is, as far as I know, some low life stole it in 2007.
Old 10-31-11, 12:38 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Is this photo detailed enough?

WOOF! IMO I'd start looking for a trailer that is metal framed & wheeled. All that plastic won't last..........

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 10-31-11, 03:24 PM
katcorot

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade
WOOF! IMO I'd start looking for a trailer that is metal framed & wheeled. All that plastic won't last..........
come winter he could just remove the wheels and pull it as a sled. who knows it might even float over deep puddles.
Old 11-01-11, 07:57 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah.. you are probably right. I was lucky at the time to find a used trailer. It's even worse currently... and a quality trailer is as rare as hen's teeth.
Old 11-01-11, 10:50 PM
hopperja

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
Perhaps Nightshade is more familiar with that trailer than I am. I don't know it specifically, but it looks to be an aluminum frame with composite/plastic wheels. If Nightshade is talking in generalities and doesn't know that trailer specifically, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

My Bikes at Work 64a is a heavy duty trailer with an aluminum frame and composite/plastic wheels. Whether your trailer will last or not depends on the quality of the material much, much more than the type of material.
Old 01-02-12, 08:32 AM
salek

Bikes: 1984 Takara 490 Challenge

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We bought our first Winchester (semi) trailer in 1991 when Child1 was born. We ran it until she outgrew it and graduated to the semi-bike (trailabike). At that point it was given to friends who had just had their Child1. The reason that I stated "first" was that there is a period of time before the child is large enough to safely ride in the trailer's seat. Thus, we hung a cheapo car seat in the middle of the trailer on springs. With this arrangement, one Winchester carries one child. So, we bought a second one. We attended a few bike events as twin tractors towing matching (semi) trailers.
20 years later, the kids have long outgrown them and became tractors.
After years of babies, boys, girls, groceries, they were parked for a while until the price of petrol brought them back from storage. Each trailer, in each family is used today for groceries, camping, etc. At $300 each (1991 ,1995 dollars) , we are still getting our moneys worth.
Old 01-02-12, 10:30 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe you over loaded it or rode to fast around a corner? If nothing broke try to find out why it happend and if something can be done to prevent it happening again.

If the wheel axels came loose from the frame a close up picture of that exact area would be of help.

It is produced to haul children at a low speed so if you "forgot about this" you may try to slow down or get a trailer that is made for rough riding and heavy loads.

Last edited by badmother; 01-02-12 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-02-12, 10:33 AM
nubcake

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do the wheels attach on your instep? are they they kind where you push a button in the middle of the axle and it releases two detent balls to let the axle come out? If so you might be able to drill and tap into the tube the axle goes into and put a set screw in there to keep the wheel from sliding out again.
Old 01-02-12, 06:02 PM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nubcake
How do the wheels attach on your instep? are they they kind where you push a button in the middle of the axle and it releases two detent balls to let the axle come out? If so you might be able to drill and tap into the tube the axle goes into and put a set screw in there to keep the wheel from sliding out again.
Or just adjust the nut in the end to get the effective lenght of the axel back to its original lenght- if it is no longer properly adjusted.
Old 01-05-12, 06:09 PM
nubcake

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badmother
Or just adjust the nut in the end to get the effective lenght of the axel back to its original lenght- if it is no longer properly adjusted.
Even Better I have not had to work on that trailer before so I was unsure of how things went together on it.