Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tent for long tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tent for long tour

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 08:54 AM
Cyclesafe

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's true that while cycle touring on asphalt we often have the option to duck indoors, but sometimes the weather turns nastier than what we had hoped and we are faced with having to tough it out. When selecting an appropriate tent, one considers one's own risk / cost (weight, price) balance; the issue so often bantered around in this forum.

I use a green Hilleberg Allak which with footprint, poles, and stuff sack actually weighs 6 lb 10 oz. On the GDMBR last year there were two occasions when I was glad I had such a robust tent.
Old 05-11-11, 09:49 AM
ToppDogg

Bikes: 2023 Trek Checkpoint SL5, 2019 Jamis Renegade, 2018 Trek FX2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by D.B. Cooper
I have never used a hubba-hp, but looking at your photo, it appears to me that the pole configuration is inferior. It seems as if the tent would lay down in a stiff breeze.
It also seems to be lacking in ventilation.

I have been using a Eureka Backcountry for over 13 years and I love it. I have camped in it literally hundreds of times, including a 95 day, 5,000mi tour. It has seen many 40mph-wind nights in the desert, and countless nights in the saltwater environment of the Florida Everglades. The zippers still work flawlessly, and the tent has no tears in it. The only thing I have done to it is re-seal the seams. The one in the photo is a Backcountry3, but they make a 2 and solo as well. I think the 2 weighs about 5lbs. A little on the heavy side, but it is bigger than most 2man tents (35sq. ft). It sells for less than $200.
The color is perfect for stealth camping(olive green). It is almost invisible at night. Ventilation is excellent.
That sold me on my next tent. I'm heading to San Juan Island here in a few weeks so I may just replace my old tent for that one. The biggest issue I run into in the Northwest is winds, I like that you mentioned 40MPH winds.
Old 05-11-11, 11:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
a hoop tent with out a separate fly, built in,
will be better if you have to put up your shelter in a strong wind..

set one end's stakes, Lay the tent flat put the poles in while flat,
and up and end stake opposite end
in are a single, swift move.. then put your stuff in..

won't be chasing the tent fly down wind .. then.. should it get away from you ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-11-11 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-11-11, 11:33 AM
D.B. Cooper
friction baby, friction

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToppDogg
That sold me on my next tent. I'm heading to San Juan Island here in a few weeks so I may just replace my old tent for that one. The biggest issue I run into in the Northwest is winds, I like that you mentioned 40MPH winds.
your welcome