Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Transporting Batteries in the Car

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Transporting Batteries in the Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-23, 05:04 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Question Transporting Batteries in the Car

I will be at times carrying my forthcoming Rises and Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff on the back of the car. I do intend to remove the Bosch PowerTubes 625 Wh batteries when I transport the bike will fit either Bosch Pin Covers or Battery Transport Covers in their place on the bike.

My question is in relation to suitable bags to put the batteries in whilst transporting them (will not be used for charging). Any suggestions on a reasonable bag that will take the two batteries?
Old 12-26-23, 10:00 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 667 Posts
I would not worry about this. I would just leave the batteries in the bike.

The concerns about battery fires mostly apply to low end bikes with a minimal battery management system, and / or crappy chargers.

if you're worried about a battery fire in the car golly you sure would not want to have that battery between your legs while riding !

but you do you

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 12-26-23, 03:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked 4,011 Times in 2,677 Posts
I would put the covers on and take off the batteries only to remove weight from the rack as most hitch racks don't go to the weight needed to carry your bike. As someone who has the same bike I would not mount it with batteries but I also wouldn't worry about the batteries unless they are in a place to get easily damaged. Bosch batteries are pretty much the only batteries I wouldn't worry about all in a car unless it were a super duper hot car and the batteries were directly in the sun on the dashboard which is an odd situation.

If I was really worried I would leave them in a waterproof stuff sack so no air can get in. But I really wouldn't worry. Bosch has one of if not the best BMS' on the market.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-26-23, 04:27 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
umm, NO

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I really wouldn't worry. Bosch has one of if not the best BMS' on the market.
I have some batteries that prove that statement wrong, as well as finding a guy in the UK that rebuilds bad Bosch BMSs. He found that one of the chips is underrated and burns out.

But of course they are quality batteries.

Taking a battery out for travel sounds like a good idea for an Aussie. They get a little bit of sunshine in that part of the world. Topeak recently came out with a foam battery box. That might be a good fit for the OP.

-SP
Likes For speedy25:
Old 12-26-23, 04:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by speedy25
I have some batteries that prove that statement wrong, as well as finding a guy in the UK that rebuilds bad Bosch BMSs. He found that one of the chips is underrated and burns out.

But of course they are quality batteries.

Taking a battery out for travel sounds like a good idea for an Aussie. They get a little bit of sunshine in that part of the world. Topeak recently came out with a foam battery box. That might be a good fit for the OP.

-SP
Bosch e-bike batteries? Have you had them to your local Bosch dealer to run them through the diagnostic tool. Heck Bosch might replace them if they are having issues.

I think in the 1000s of Bosch bikes we have sold probably 10 total battery warranties and over half of those were batteries that were left uncharged at or near zero for a long time and wouldn't start back up. The rest were oddities for sure but never anything unsafe. I think one years ago had a bad cell and the BMS shut down the whole thing to prevent an issue. Not saying it isn't possible but it is few and far between.
Old 12-26-23, 08:05 PM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Originally Posted by mpetry912
I would not worry about this. I would just leave the batteries in the bike.

The concerns about battery fires mostly apply to low end bikes with a minimal battery management system, and / or crappy chargers.

if you're worried about a battery fire in the car golly you sure would not want to have that battery between your legs while riding !

but you do you

/markp
As per @veganbikes, the batteries are coming off the bike while being transported.

Fire? I do not believe I said anything about fire or worrying about it, but each to their own.

Thanks anyway for your input.
Likes For Aushiker:
Old 12-26-23, 08:07 PM
Aushiker

Originally Posted by speedy25
]

-SP
Thanks for the heads-up. I will look out for these boxes. Sounds like they may do the trick.
Old 12-26-23, 08:13 PM
Aushiker

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would put the covers on and take off the batteries only to remove weight from the rack as most hitch racks don't go to the weight needed to carry your bike. As someone who has the same bike I would not mount it with batteries but I also wouldn't worry about the batteries unless they are in a place to get easily damaged.
Thanks for confirming my thinking. Do you use a cover when you remove the batteries?

I am worried about them moving around in the back of the car (Subura Forrester) hence why I was looking for a bag to provide some protection. The Topeak bag might be an option. I have also seen Fahrer bags which might to the trick. Actually a sports bag with some padding would probably work now that I think about it.
Old 12-31-23, 10:29 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Aushiker
Thanks for confirming my thinking. Do you use a cover when you remove the batteries?

I am worried about them moving around in the back of the car (Subura Forrester) hence why I was looking for a bag to provide some protection. The Topeak bag might be an option. I have also seen Fahrer bags which might to the trick. Actually a sports bag with some padding would probably work now that I think about it.
I would when transporting on the back of the car. Currently I haven't had a chance to really travel with it via car but I have the covers for when I do.

For car movement a bag can help as you could secure that or even something like a Eurocrate could work as they are a bit longer.
Old 12-31-23, 12:23 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
dont worry about pin cover. I have put over 8000 miles on my trek with the external battery mount and it's exposed to the elements 99% of the time without a battery. works fine every time. worse case you would need some contact cleaner one every few years. I ride in all weather with lots of rain. Now my nyon mounts needed some cleaner sealer on the pins for the first time on 2 or more years.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 12-31-23 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-01-24, 11:00 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 667 Posts
by all means use some silicone grease on the electrical contacts.

corrosion inhibitor if nothing else

/markp