Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

How's your "off season" going so far?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 09:22 AM
Chris_F
World's slowest cyclist.

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD5 and Cannondale Rush

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, for all you folks who get snowed in during the winter, how's your off season going so far? Up here it's been dry enough this winter that, with the help of some studded tires, the trails have been mostly ride-able most of January and February.

The off season is also a good time for maintenance. For me I did my first bottom bracket replacement, which turned out to be a lot easier to do then I was expecting. I replaced my cranks, pedals, shifters, chain, and re-cabled the entire bike. The re-cabeling was well overdue since the bike shop who put it together must've been smoking something when they cabled. All of the cables were too long and/or poorly routed and rubbing the frame. The newly re-cabled bike is laid out much better. More recently I had to re-adjust the cones in the rear hub. It's been a lot of fun doing this stuff since most of it I'd never done before. The cones in particular was fun since it was such a "by feel" thing. The result? The bike rides like new! Very satisfying to DIY and get good results. Oh, changing out cheap parts for the good stuff has saved me about a pound as well!

But with some fresh snow recently the trails are now barely rideable so I'm pulling out the road bike today (once it gets warm enough to melt the ice on the road) and waiting for the spring thaw...
Old 02-21-10, 09:41 AM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the last several years we have had mile winters and no off season.......so this one pretty much sucks!
Old 02-22-10, 02:00 PM
Lebowski
bikes are sexy

Bikes: [2008 specialized allez tripple], [2006 Specialized hardrock sport], [1998 Robinson Rebel], [1980's vintage schwinn ministing], [2008 specialized epic comp] - [2009 origin8 scout 29er], [2005 KHS DJ200]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
been riding my mountain bike to work almost every day through the Wisconsin snow. I've ridden on some snowmobile trails a couple times when they were closed, but i've done mostly urban riding. hopping snow banks is lots of fun. the actual trails are covered in a few feet of snow and won't be open till May.

also i was bored and built another bike. boredom can be extremely costly
Old 02-22-10, 03:14 PM
Terrapin Ben
I'm simply not credible.

Bikes: A blue one and a black one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i went snowboarding yesterday and suffered a minor concussion. other than that, the off season has been alright. Woulda been happy with a colder/wetter winter, but at least i've been running lots!

Last edited by Terrapin Ben; 02-22-10 at 03:15 PM. Reason: typo'd